Hi there

I'm fairly well versed in guitars, but unfortunately I've fallen behind in the world of amps. I've demo'd a few amps out there and decided on an Orange. My question to you is :

How much do guitar amplifiers depreciate in value

The amp I'm looking at is a gently used Orange Rockverb 50 Combo. The price that it's being offered for is $1650. Right now on zzounds.com it sells for 2600. Am I getting a good deal here? Is it best to buy amps new? I'm especially nervous about buying a used tube amp because I'm really not knowledgeable on the topic. How long can I expect it to last if I'm not gigging?

Thanks all
Decent deal (see if you can talk him down to 1400) but people in the US get screwed hard on British amps like Marshall and Orange price-wise to begin with.

As far as amp reliability goes... see this clip for reference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Most amplifiers depreciate quickly and significantly in value for a long time, after which they are old enough to be considered "vintage" and then they often go up in value. Back in the 1970s almost no one was interested in Fender Tweed amplifiers from the late 50's. Now they want the mortgage on your house for one.

Only the big names and the boutiques will hold their value at all, and even most of these will depreciate significantly. That is why you can find a very expensive amplifier in good shape in the used bin at a good price. Once in a blue moon, an amplifier will quickly achieve legendary status and will appreciate in value as soon as they stop making it (think Marshall Silver Jubilee series).

Get a good amp and hang onto it for a few decades and maybe it will finance your retirement. Of course, it probably won't, but you might get lucky.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Most amplifiers depreciate quickly and significantly in value for a long time, after which they are old enough to be considered "vintage" and then they often go up in value. Back in the 1970s almost no one was interested in Fender Tweed amplifiers from the late 50's. Now they want the mortgage on your house for one.

Only the big names and the boutiques will hold their value at all, and even most of these will depreciate significantly. That is why you can find a very expensive amplifier in good shape in the used bin at a good price. Once in a blue moon, an amplifier will quickly achieve legendary status and will appreciate in value as soon as they stop making it (think Marshall Silver Jubilee series).

Get a good amp and hang onto it for a few decades and maybe it will finance your retirement. Of course, it probably won't, but you might get lucky.

I suppose what I'm asking then is whether I'm getting a good deal then. Quantified that is
I'd see if I could talk the seller down a bit but even if not you're getting it for a thousand less than new.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!