Hi all,
Been looking to upgrade from a Squier Strat which I been using the past 8 years or so for a while now. The guitar I think appears to be best suited for me is the Ibanez MBM2. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them.
Intersted in:
Avenged Sevenfold
All Shall Perish
Between the Buried and Me
Bullet for my Valentine
etc

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, is it worth the £500 to upgrade? I'm currently using a Peavey Vypyr 30, would an amp like this benefit from the upgrade?

Just a bit cautious on this as the closest shop I'd be able to try out mid/high range guitars is over 9 hours away so playing before buying is not really an option.
Thanks for any advice.
you will certainly benifit from an upgrade to your guitar (upgrading the amp wouldnt hurt either)

the ibanez is certainly a good option, you're definately on the right track, but here are some other options (price included)

-godin redline 2: 450 (I dont have a GBP symbol)
-ESP LTD MH-350NT: 415
-Jackson RR3: 485
-PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt- 460

a new guitar, especially one suited to what you are playing, will definately help your tone and your technique. that being said, the amp will eventually have to go; it is a begginer amp and it will simply never produce "pro" sounds. it'll be okay for now (its certainly the best modelling amp save for maybe the vox VT's), but its never going to be part of a great rig
Get an Ibanez RG, you can get them pretty cheap and still pretty good guitars imo. Would be a make perfect second guitar, especially if you're playing metal. Try the RG2EX1
I can vouch for krehzeekid's Jackson RR3 recommendation.

I used to play an old family hand-me-down Squire for a few years. Eventually enough was enough and I wanted to upgrade. I bought myself a Jackson RR3 and I've loved it ever since.

Plays great, looks great, smells/tastes great. Oh, and it sounds great too . Everytime I open my huge Jackson V guitar case and bring out the RR3, everyone's jaw drops and they immediately say things like "Holy crap that's an awesome guitar". Maybe not the best reason to buy a guitar alone, but it certainly doesn't hurt!
Quote by krehzeekid
you will certainly benifit from an upgrade to your guitar (upgrading the amp wouldnt hurt either)

the ibanez is certainly a good option, you're definately on the right track, but here are some other options (price included)

-godin redline 2: 450 (I dont have a GBP symbol)
-ESP LTD MH-350NT: 415
-Jackson RR3: 485
-PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt- 460

a new guitar, especially one suited to what you are playing, will definately help your tone and your technique. that being said, the amp will eventually have to go; it is a begginer amp and it will simply never produce "pro" sounds. it'll be okay for now (its certainly the best modelling amp save for maybe the vox VT's), but its never going to be part of a great rig

Godin definitly makes a nice instrument. i dont own one, but every one i have played has been very nice.

Ibanez also makes a very good instrument, but the necks are VERY thin (just a warning). if you have big hands like i do, you might not get along with it.

ESP would also be a good brand to look into. their 400 series is pretty nice and for sure in your price range. the 1000 series is definitely nicer, but i dont know the exchange rates, so it might not be in your price range.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hi all,
thanks for the replies. I'm now torn between the MBM2 and the PRS SE Akerfeldt.
I'm not too sure about the pickups on the Akerfeldt though, I've no interest in cleans at all. Would I be better off suited with the EMGs?
Quote by Nemm
Hi all,
thanks for the replies. I'm now torn between the MBM2 and the PRS SE Akerfeldt.
I'm not too sure about the pickups on the Akerfeldt though, I've no interest in cleans at all. Would I be better off suited with the EMGs?

dont be too hasty to say you dont care about cleans... you may want some at one point or another...

that being said, my experience suggests that the EMG's are truly great metal pickups (ever notice how many metal guys play em?). they certainly make my lp into a fire breather. the emg's are going to give you a much faster attack, more output and significantly more harmonics. this will result in, what i think, is a more powerful distorted tone. however, the emgs (especially the 81) are prone to being somewhat brittle and thin on certain amps because of the extreme mid scooping. i've rarely found this to be the case, but it is certainly a possibility that ought to be kept in mind.

however, this is merely my opinion. to be sure, you really are gonna have to play them to be positive which are better suited to your playing style
I'd personally go with a Schecter before an Ibanez if we're looking in that price range. You get great hardware and active EMGs on a schecter, a great neck and beautiful guitar. I think you can get a C1 Elite for around that price. I have a Hellraiser I paid $650 for used and I absolutely love it.

Another one that looks promising is the ESP LTD F350, except it has 2 EMG active 81 pickups, and I'd prefer an 85 and 81. It has a great neck, and a great look and feel all around. I have the F50 which is the bargain version, and the f350 is just a higher quality version all around. I wouldn't be opposed to buying one, but I'd definitely change out one 81 for an 85 if I did, and that makes it about $80 more. I'm not sure though, but I don't know if it comes in a TOM string through, everone I saw was a floyd rose, and that may not be your cup of tea.

I haven't played many cheap Ibanez though since everyone I try I can't stand.