Both at same time
6 7%
One after the other
4 5%
Obligatory other option
10 12%
Voters: 83.
Page 1 of 2
So pit, I decided to, using online tutorials, lessons, and by watching foreign movies with English subtitles, to learn a major European language.
And as such, I've narrowed it to French and German.

Now, I have had lessons in these before at school many years ago, but I was nowhere near 'good' at them [as I had no desire to at the time], so it's practically like learning from scratch, but not entirely so.

Now, French sounds, and looks, nicer, but German does seem like a better option as to me, it has easier grammar, etc.

Anyway, I'm thinking about maybe learning both as well, after one after the other or both at the same time. It would be fun and I'd really want to learn at least one of the two.

Anyway guys, what should I go for first? I mean, what would be the most beneficial?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
some weird language for star trek.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Java. or Klingon.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Alright, I'm leaning to learning German first.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Gungan would be totally badass, and really easy. All you would have to do is replace "I" with "Meesa", and you pretty much go it. I'm pretty fluent in it. Observe.

Meesa pretty fluent in Gungan. Meesa teach you if you want.

I basically told you I was fluent in Gungan and I would teach you if you wanted.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Take French, German is too harsh sounding, no matter what you say it sounds like you're angry, plus you could watch french films. French = intelligent, German = low-brow sauage eater and beer pounder.
German is pretty much amazing.
Ich mochte meiner Deutsch Lehrerin ein Sachbuch uber Deutsche Geschichte schenken.
You can't go wrong with a language as sexy as that (minus spelling mistakes)
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
German,
French is kinda gay (i took it for 2 years so im basically a flamer)
take german and save your manhood

Listen to Mann Gegan Mann-Rammstein. Germans can be gay too.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by KGB_INC
Gungan would be totally badass, and really easy. All you would have to do is replace "I" with "Meesa", and you pretty much go it. I'm pretty fluent in it. Observe.

Meesa pretty fluent in Gungan. Meesa teach you if you want.

I basically told you I was fluent in Gungan and I would teach you if you wanted.

Meesa better than yoosa! Yoosa big boom!
All you need to know in french is "We surrender!" but the white flag is pretty self explanatory, so German.
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
French has FAR more practical application. German is obviously way cooler and sounds badass, but French is spoken in many countries whereas German is only spoken in German. IMO, everyone should know English, French, and Spanish.
Quote by AzureNight
French has FAR more practical application. German is obviously way cooler and sounds badass, but French is spoken in many countries whereas German is only spoken in German. IMO, everyone should know English, French, and Spanish.

Just like I only use english words when I speak english. Pretty self explanatory...
Quote by ak10
Take French, German is too harsh sounding, no matter what you say it sounds like you're angry, plus you could watch french films. French = intelligent, German = low-brow sauage eater and beer pounder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbWZCoYK8Zg&feature=related
Sarah Chalke makes German sound beautiful...

TS, it depends on what you need it for. I personally took German because I love the way the words roll off the tongue and it is more practical for me as an engineering major. French is a good way to bag chicks, and apparently it's pretty easy. German wasn't that hard, but some of the words can get ridiculous and the sentence structure is different from English. If there isn't a word that you need to convey an idea, you basically combine other words together, so you come out with things like "Rechtsschutzversicherungsgesellschaften", which means "legal protection insurance companies". As long as you stick to the basics, though, German is IMO a more useful language and is worth the time you put in.
Quote by The_Clansman_
Just like I only use english words when I speak english. Pretty self explanatory...

on topic, french = more useful internationally, german = easier to learn,
just go with whichever you prefer, nothing stopping you learning both anyway
Quote by AzureNight

German is also spoken in Austria and Switzerland. I think I heard somewhere that German is the most spoken language in Europe (although, that could be completely falso too).

Just look at Rammstein and see how manly it will make you. Till Lindemann sounds manly even when he is singing about gay sex.

Edit: Found this website which compares different languages. Turns out I was wrong, but it is still very interesting and may help you make your decision.
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/languages/index.html
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

Last edited by ICOG at May 31, 2010,
Quote by AzureNight

Austria vould like a vord vith you.
if you are REALLY REALLY between those 2 i recommend french, if not i recommend spanish. Maybe thats because i am a spanish speaker, but it might be easier to you as an english speaker
Alright, I've decided.

I may as well try both at the same time, and see which one 'clicks' with me best, and then stick to that one first.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
German will probably be much easier for you if that is a factor, considering it's very similar to English. I can't speak for which language is more useful to you, but I picked Spanish because I know it has a chance of becoming useful to me (keep in mind I am an American; the statistic I usually see being thrown around is that a quarter of the USA may be speaking Spanish by 2050). So I'd go by which you will find handy in your life.
French is much more useful. And that's coming from someone who hates the french language with a passon. (tabarnak to it I say, tabarnak)
Quote by Simsimius

Now, French sounds, and looks, nicer, but German does seem like a better option as to me, it has easier grammar, etc.

Very, very, very false assumption. French grammar is very similar to other Romance language, so if you learn French you can add languages such as Spanish and Italian fairly quickly. The only main differences between Romance language grammar and English is noun genders and verb conjugation, which are both easy to pick up. German has, not one, not two, but three genders, and there is no way to tell which gender the words are from the words themselves, which granted French has this problem too, but only with two genders. In addition you have different articles for different cases. Oh, and verb conjugation as well. Some positive may be that German is slightly easier to pronounce, and the spellings resemble the pronunciations a bit closer, and you won't get as much shit from native speakers for not being perfect (French are picking about this).

It depends on why you want to learn a language. If you want to do it for fun and for pure enjoyment, I can see the choice for German. But if you want to expand your career options, German won't help much seeing as 50% of Germans speak English in the first place. French isn't much more applicable though either. Personally, I'd rather (and am) learning a a Middle Eastern or Eastern Asian language such as Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, or Korean.
I would suggest French, as it's more useful overall, but you will find the learning curve easier with German due to it sounding so much like English.

There's very few words you won't be able to pronounce right the first time with German, but you'll need to work at pronouncing all of them in French.
german, I hate french speaking people.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I'd go with French tbh. It's more widely spoken than German.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Arabic does sound sexy.

I would choose German but all the sexy chicks i know speak French. German has more authority whereas French may get you laid.
French, why even asking.

Although I'd have loved to learn German.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
German, it's easier so you'll feel more motivated to learn French once you're done with German.
cat
If you think German will be easier than French, you're in for one hell of a surprise. You will curse the day you picked it when you try to learn the different articles. For each gender, time and general context there's different ones. I barely know anyone who isn't German who can get them all right.

Okay, one thing is easier: Many words are similar in English and German, so you'll have a pretty extensive vocabulary memorised quickly.

Both languages are easy to read, once you get the hang of it. Much much more regular than English.

German grammar is a bit complex, but you can abuse the hell out of it without anyone giving a damn, which makes it a bit easier. Can't have that with French.

I'd advise you to stay away from French. Why? Because I'm German and therefore required to hate those frog-eating bastards.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 1, 2010,
Ha mate, learn Strine, aye? Need 'nother Ocker on here, aye fella? Ha, no wuckas fella, I'm just takin' the piss, aye?
Quote by whalepudding
That is the most Australian post I've ever seen.

Fuckin' oath, fella!!
Quote by 'GoodnightHero'
i absolutely fucking love you.
and it has nothing to do with your lego ACDC fetish.

Strewth, cobber! Good on ya!
Quote by TheQuailman
I'd advise you to stay away from French. Why? Because I'm German and therefore required to hate those frog-eating bastards.

What the hell, man, we are brothers! The only traditional hatred in Europe is between France and the UK! You damn Sauerkraut eater.

---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Page 1 of 2