So, I have my birthday on June 8th, I need a replacement pup for my Ibanez, a humbucker for the bridge. I've been thinking about the Super Distortion, or Crunch lab, because of there good reputation, but I also want good cleans, and mid gain-crunch and break up styles. No singular pup over 80$, preferably no active ones, and very importantly, one that is very versatile, noting like a Dimebucker that can only do metal. Any feedback is respected. And also a pickup that is quiet. That wont give me too much background buzz and feedback.

Thanks.
I would recommend a Seymour Duncan SH-14.. or if you have a locking trem.. a TB-14

Very good versatile pickups that is medium output and has great crunch.. It cleans up alot better than most bridge pickups, although it is a bit bright.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Don't bother with a pickup if you're going to continue using the Spider, it won't make any difference.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Don't bother with a pickup if you're going to continue using the Spider, it won't make any difference.

I thought the Spoder IV's were supposed to be a huge step up from the III's? Or are you just one of those people who jumped onthe spider hate wagon?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
I thought the Spoder IV's were supposed to be a huge step up from the III's? Or are you just one of those people who jumped onthe spider hate wagon?

They're not, and I've known the Spiders since the Spider II series.

When you get an amp, then you should change pickups. 'til then I'd just save money.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
for me the pickup that does everything would be a Gibson Burstbucker or '57. my burstbucker screams on metal, works great on blues and the neck gets some sweat cleans.

the JB is also another great option.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
what guitar wise should I get for my birthday?
I'm not getting a new amp, because I just got my spider, and maybe eventually I will get a new amp!
So I'd like to stay on topic to the discussion at hand rather than wasting time in the past.

Well, I'm not to familiar with Seymour's and I don't know very many famous player that use them. And I would also want that kind of distinctive satch sound, with easy harmonics and good clarity with high gain. I've heard the JB, I didn't like it too too much...
I'm not saving money, I'm getting rid of a gift then, nothing special else will happen, not a bigger Christmas present, so at least on other amps, anything, what would be a better pup?
Stop arguing, just tell me the facts.
the fact is is that the best pup bridge for all around styles is an alinco 2 nailbomb.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Well I personally have a DiMarzio Evolution (F-Space) for Bridge, and another Evo (Neck version)) F-Space for the neck (for tremolo guitars), and it sounds dynamite! Haven't bothered with the mid single-coil. I'm still skeptical on that portion for the best choice.

But try them out yourself in the shop (the Evo's), may be the best way to determine your actual taste.
Current Gear:
Ibanez RG1570bk Prestige with Evo Pickups
Fender American Standard 2012 Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Last edited by JacksonDX6412 at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by Koshman32

you know, regardless of whether everyone hates the spider or not, and i personally don't mind them, modelling amps generally do cover up a certain amount of the guitar's own tone which will render a pickup replacement almost inaudible in most cases. an example is on my Vox AD50VT you can't really tell the difference between a strat and a tele if they are on the bridge or the neck pickup.

From my own experience, gibson burstbucker pros are very versatile but only if you've got them attached to a guitar with a strong natural tone. they seem very transparent, and they'll bring out the best in a good guitar, but also probably bring out the worst in a not so good one. And they are quite overpriced.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Dimarzio super distortion or Dimarzio Tone Zone, both are absolutely awesome, but tone zone if you play all styles, if its mainly rock and metal get the super distortion
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Dimarzio super distortion or Dimarzio Tone Zone, both are absolutely awesome, but tone zone if you play all styles, if its mainly rock and metal get the super distortion

I thought the Tone Zone was more well-known as an exceptional Neck pup? Don't get me wrong, Tone Zone in the bridge is still a very open-minded decision...
Current Gear:
Fender Mustang
i wouldnt recomend the JB. alot of ppl seem to like them, but i dont. they are great for metal imo, but they dont do cleans very well. i find them to very trebly. to each his own i guess. i wouldnt even bother replacing it to be honest.
Quote by JacksonDX6412
I thought the Tone Zone was more well-known as an exceptional Neck pup? Don't get me wrong, Tone Zone in the bridge is still a very open-minded decision...

God no, it's primarily a bridge pickup - a harsh, brash, unsubtle bridge pickup that's on;y really good at one thing.

Pickups are going to make little difference with the Spider but everyone's way off th4 mark as far as Dimarzios go- their best all-round pickup by a country mile is the Norton.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hm... The Evo sounds good, but that's mostly the amp.
In my opinion so far its Evo #1, if you can coil split it that would be cool.
Norton also sounds good.
Cuz I wanna get tones from Zep, to Ac/Dc to Metallica, to Silpknot
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Jun 3, 2010,
u wont notice a difference by changing pickups as u have a line 6 spider. if its a gift, can u ask for the money instead?

but if u must, get the dimarzio norton. they're the most versatile pickup dimarzio makes.
if u want seymour duncan, a custom 5 will be nice.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
if its a gift, can u ask for the money instead?

yes, this. Believe it.
Quote by LolCatGuitar
Well the main pups I'm leaning towards are The Evo's or the Mo'Joe/ Fred. If in the neck I would go with Air Norton or Liquifire.
Not too much other Pups are too too appealing...

Aww dude, go w/ the Liquifire in the neck, sounds phenomenal with an Evo bridge!! I just know way too many people who combo their Evo's with Nortons, gets a tad bit "unoriginal"...imo
Current Gear:
Fender Mustang
Quote by LolCatGuitar
Well the main pups I'm leaning towards are The Evo's or the Mo'Joe/ Fred. If in the neck I would go with Air Norton or Liquifire.
Not too much other Pups are too too appealing...

Good choices. Of those I like the Evo and the Air Norton the best, though the Liquidfire is awesome too.

I have the Super Distortion and Tone Zone but I was going for a specific sound. Not the versatility you're looking for.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jun 5, 2010,
FWIW, the pups that Satch uses/used are considered very versatile. However, I prefer my Evo 2 in the bridge and... I'm still looking for a really good neck pickup. I'll put in a plug for D Sonic too.

EDIT: Aaaaand, I've never used it, but John Petrucci used to have the *sexiest* neck pickup tone and he used the Air Norton... /twocents
Guitars:
Ibanez JS1200
PRS SE EG S/S/H
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535q
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-6
Amp:
Carvin V3m
Carvin 212 cab
Last edited by Saminator at Jun 5, 2010,
Yeah, the JP neck tone is VERY sexy, the Liquifire just takes the cake, with just amazing clarity on high gain, it's just amazing. And if I ask for money for my birthday, it'll probably be 150$ or something. if I got pups, I could bump the total price of pups to 200 or so. And, maybe I gig with a friends amp? Try out different amps at a store, with new pups so I don't have to get new ones. Maybe I play through our schools bass amp, with very clean cleans and great mid scoop. That being said, I'm just gonna get like $200 for my birthday BECAUSE I'll just ask everyone to get me $25, no gift cards just straight cash, and even then, Epiphone Valve Jr! WOW! See? Pups are my person choice, so if you would allow me to make a decision, that would be pleasing.
And for my pups, a White Liquifire (neck) and a Green Evo (bridge) on a RG370DX in Black?
Is that a sexy choice?
Quote by LolCatGuitar
Yeah, the JP neck tone is VERY sexy, the Liquifire just takes the cake, with just amazing clarity on high gain, it's just amazing. And if I ask for money for my birthday, it'll probably be 150$ or something. if I got pups, I could bump the total price of pups to 200 or so. And, maybe I gig with a friends amp? Try out different amps at a store, with new pups so I don't have to get new ones. Maybe I play through our schools bass amp, with very clean cleans and great mid scoop. That being said, I'm just gonna get like $200 for my birthday BECAUSE I'll just ask everyone to get me $25, no gift cards just straight cash, and even then, Epiphone Valve Jr! WOW! See? Pups are my person choice, so if you would allow me to make a decision, that would be pleasing.
And for my pups, a White Liquifire (neck) and a Green Evo (bridge) on a RG370DX in Black?
Is that a sexy choice?

Yes! You're right on par w/ me on what Im try'n to get that.
Current Gear:
Fender Mustang
Quote by trashedlostfdup
for me the pickup that does everything would be a Gibson Burstbucker or '57. my burstbucker screams on metal, works great on blues and the neck gets some sweat cleans.

the JB is also another great option.

Burstbucker Pro's rule in my book!
Replace BOTH pups with a pair of Irongear Hot Slags. Even with shipping they will be no more expensive than most SD or DiMarzio and a lot less than BKPs. They are high output with a mid/high bias which cuts through for lead work. Cranked they will scream and rolled back have great definition.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by LolCatGuitar
Is that a sexy choice?

Of course it is your choice, but not a very wise one. $200 would still be put to a better use as a good start for a new amp fund instead of new pups in this case. However do as you want.
Quote by LolCatGuitar
I'm not saving money, I'm getting rid of a gift then, nothing special else will happen, not a bigger Christmas present, so at least on other amps, anything, what would be a better pup?
Stop arguing, just tell me the facts.

Shut up, the reason people are telling you this is so you don't waste your money.

I had a Spider III and started out on my Strat. In my ignorance i got my Schecter with pickups completely different in every respect and still couldn't hear the difference.

A shitty modelling amp like that is designed to always sound the same and disregard whatever your playing into it. Switching pickups would find you majorly disappointed.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
Shut up, the reason people are telling you this is so you don't waste your money.

I had a Spider III and started out on my Strat. In my ignorance i got my Schecter with pickups completely different in every respect and still couldn't hear the difference.

A shitty modelling amp like that is designed to always sound the same and disregard whatever your playing into it. Switching pickups would find you majorly disappointed.

Cool story bro! I have a Peavey 150W Pre and Power amp going in to a 2 speaker horn and speaker rig, it sounds good, I add a EQ pedal, Distortion, reverb, delay, screamer, and look! A good rig! And also, I run my guitar through my friends fender Super Champ XD, with a Metal-Zone and a crybaby wah with scooped mids, high treble, high bass and high gain, it screams! (even though my main styles aren't screaming high gain crazy Br00tal metal.) It would sound waaay better with new pups, so maybe, if I know what I want, right know, maybe I can get a good rig together, because I could get my bass player and his amp over, I have my own drum set, and my half stack, we could jam and it would sound substantially better, so PLEASE just let my find a good pup to get, why can't you just jump on the bandwagon of staying ON TOPIC on SET TOPIC THREADS! And for amps I'm just gonna be recommended a 6505+, no! I've heard them, I don't like them! They sound cool but not something I'd play for an extended a lifetime, hearing the same boring repetitive noise that 500,000 other metalcore band have, that sound the exact same!
On the other hand...

So, I think my best bet so far is a Evo in the bridge, w/ Liquifire in the neck. If anyone else thinks I'm wrong for the punchy, high gain, good cleans, great clarity, tight lows and all around nice sounding sound, then please do object. No amp comments will be regarded, and if anyone says "Your just masking up the truth, you NEED A BETTER AMP!"

With that being said, ok...
Is there any other pickup that I could possibly get that passes all of that + more?
Hmmm, I never think of the SD that way, just because it has reviews by all the classic rock guitarists and I never think that It can handle super high gain, tight lows and all that stuff. The heaviest rocker that plays it is Dave Murray from Iron Maiden from what I know. And with all these humbuckers I will coil split them, so I can get more versatile sounds.