so im trying to decide which to buy!

problem is ive only been able to test out the RG's because the stores in my area have NO ibanez S's.

-anybody whos owned or played both have any opinions on the pros and cons of each?
I'm liking the way the RG plays and was wondering if the S is similar, becuz the look on an S570DXQM is pretty awesome, imho. (im not so much into the metal guitars, and like the versatility of the S series)...

Is the S series worth pursuing? p.s. im looking for guitars that are $600-800 in price.
the S series guitars are really light, which is awesome, and they're really comfortable. it's tone, from a thin mahogany body, is middy and a bit lacking in low end imo. i think the RG guitars have a better tone to them, and the wood, basswood,is really neutral sounding, making it good for if you want to experiment with pickups.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
S is similar but the body size is more comfortable IMO. Also, the trems on the S series are much better than any other ibanez under at least 1000$. The ZR trems are on another level compared to the edge 3's and most of the other edges.

S is great for versatility, but like any ibanez it could use a change of pickups. The stock ones are passable, but to really shine it needs something else.

I really advise trying one first, but even if you don't I doubt you'll be disappointed.
It's one of those things, both have their pros and cons, and the only way to decide is to try for yourself.

I personally dislike S' unless they're late 80's - early 90's models with the all maple Wizard and original Edge bridge.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
BAsically what these 4 guys said above. They are great guitars, just play each one to see which one feels right for you
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Is there seriously no store near you that has S's?
They are incomparable,as they do not share almost anything in common..(except for the neck)both are great guitars,just try them both and buy what feels best to you and to the type of music that you play..
Last edited by deathmetallist3 at Jun 1, 2010,
IMO an S and RG w/ similar features are both versatile enough to make the decision based purely on looks and weight. I rarely play standing up for extended periods so I prefer RGs for their classic look, and something about the incredibly low weight of the S just feels cheap to me. Others prefer the rounded edge look and appreciate the light weight for all its benefits. Both series are excellent, but whichever you get I would highly suggest making sure that it's made in Japan.

Most people will tell you to try both first but I've found w/ Ibanez (at least MIJ ones) you don't have to try it first to know it will be good, so why not get the one that looks cooler to you

(edit) guy above me clearly has a different opinion
Quote by van01010100

(edit) guy above me clearly has a different opinion

I think he is right though....they are somewhat different guitars IMO...
Ts: I will say this and will voice this as my own onion as an ibanez player for 8+ years.

If its a non MIJ RG, Get the S. Cheap basswood sounds worse than cheap Mahagony. The non egde pro,edge, lo pro, edge zero bridges on rg's feel cheap and for the most part not as durable as their older brother counterparts of ZR

If its MIJ RG, play it side by side with an S. Different strokes for different folks. I love MIJ rg's because how they feel for me. You may not like them

Last interjection of opinion, new rg's cost wayy to much. especially the MIJ prestige ones. Maybe look used if you go the rg route
Quote by mexican_shred
new rg's cost wayy to much. especially the MIJ prestige ones. Maybe look used if you go the rg route

I knew that you'd bring this up at some point..

It's somewhat true though
Quote by archenemyfan
I knew that you'd bring this up at some point..

It's somewhat true though

it was bound to come up.

But i put my little disclaimer as my own opinion and not the absolute mandate brought forth by Zeus
Quote by archenemyfan
I think he is right though....they are somewhat different guitars IMO...
I don't disagree that they're different, but they are both so versatile and the necks are so similar that I would consider the looks and weight to be the most important differences. But like I said that's just my opinion.

(also note that I said an S and RG with similar features)
Last edited by van01010100 at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by van01010100
I don't disagree that they're different, but they are both so versatile and the necks are so similar that I would consider the looks and weight to be the most important differences. But like I said that's just my opinion.

The neck is the same a RG's,but the hardware and pups are different.....yeah they both are versatile instruments...and thank god they do not come with actives...

EDIT:yeah the most significant difference is the body shape and the weight..
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
The neck is the same a RG's,but the hardware and pups are different.....yeah they both are versatile instruments...and thank god they do not come with actives...

EDIT:yeah the most significant difference is the body shape and the weight..

Im not one to tote emgs/actives, but for a small amount of time i had emgs installed in my 1570, and it was great, way better than i expected it to be. I switched back to my Paf Joe , yjm,Tone Zone combo after a month or two but i wouldnt completely discourage emgs in it.

The neck for me was the biggest difference between the two. I know it seems like a small difference but after playing RG's for so long when i played my buddy's S prestige i could instantly feel that it was fatter.

The S also has a bit more chunk to it in terms of sound.
Quote by mexican_shred

The neck for me was the biggest difference between the two. I know it seems like a small difference but after playing RG's for so long when i played my buddy's S prestige i could instantly feel that it was fatter.

as far as I am aware,Both have super wizard prestiges(or wizrad II)

not thread jacking but,You said that your EZ had flawless tuning stability right?Is it with or without the ZPS3?

because I heard many flat return from pullup complaints IN ZPS systems....(and also from Mr.Rich Harris...God of ibanez guitars)
Quote by archenemyfan
Yeah to be honest I haven't looked at new S's/RG's since I only buy used Ibby's.. didn't realize you could only get an S w/ a ZR trem and an RG w/ an Edge III, in which case I would include that as a very important deciding factor. +1 on the actives

Quote by mexican_shred
The S also has a bit more chunk to it in terms of sound.
That I agree with, I have noticed RGs (and JEMs) are slightly more trebly. But you can do so much with EQ and effects that I just find the difference negligible.

Most people say 'try it before you buy it' but I say 'get the one that looks cooler and adapt to it' (regarding MIJ Ibby's)

Quote by Ippon
^ Nice covers!
Thanks very much
Quote by mexican_shred
Ts: I will say this and will voice this as my own onion as an ibanez player for 8+ years.

I lol'd ... sorry

Also I have an Ibby SA, was a few hundred bucks AU and it's pretty much faultless (for it's price) with the exception of the pick ups which I would like to get changed.

I haven't ever really played an RG though, I would like to, they look cool, but no help there.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by mexican_shred

Depends which S's you are talking about. New Prestiges, yes, but older (Pre 98 I believe) had the Wizard, just like RG's.
Quote by archenemyfan
as far as I am aware,Both have super wizard prestiges(or wizrad II)

not thread jacking but,You said that your EZ had flawless tuning stability right?Is it with or without the ZPS3?

because I heard many flat return from pullup complaints IN ZPS systems....(and also from Mr.Rich Harris...God of ibanez guitars)

Its like little phil said. The Prestige S's have a wizard II Neck. But Old MIJ s's no.

Its With with the ZP3. I called Ibanez in the US and Japan to get some help with the trem and setting it up so everything would be super.

Quote by VVolverin3
I lol'd ... sorry

I shouldnt post after midnight
Quote by mexican_shred

Its With with the ZP3. I called Ibanez in the US and Japan to get some help with the trem and setting it up so everything would be super.

so you;re super setup works fine with the ZPS?did they just tell you how to do it ? cause I might need to do that super setup...
I bought a 2nd hand S470 a few years ago and am really happy with it. The light weight is easy on the neck and back, the mahogany is beautiful and sounds good. The ZR whammy bar stays in tune. The HSH configuration is very versatile -- like others, the only thing I'm tempted to swap out are the pickups. It's a great rock guitar that can do more: I don't think you can really go wrong with it.
when playing an S, does it fall forward at the headstock? like an SG does...? anyone know?
Mine has a bit of neck dive, but thats just because the body is so light. I put it together from parts, and the body itself was only 2lbs, most of them wont dive as much as mine does.
I got both an S and an RG... and I seriously prefer the S, it's just so damn comfortable to play on
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5