Hi, i bought a squier vintage modified jazz bass and started learning e. bass just a few days ago. Notice that there is 3 knobs on the bass which control volumes and tones. Can anyone teach me how to use the 3 knobs to get some special tone? what kind of setting for the knobs if i play finger/slapping? Thank you.
well going from neck side down the knobs are vol vol tone i believe. someone plz verify that for me.

I personally like slapping with my tone rolled back a good bit and using the neck, but i don't use single coil basses and don't really have a traditional funk tone.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by loaded_
Bought a Squier? What a pity..

yeah I know. epiphone is way better
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Alex Vik
Why? Squiers are pretty decent.

Edit: You have an Epiphone Thunderbird. I pity you.

Epi t-bird is an ok bass.It gets a lot of hate round here, it can do really well if Eq'd correctly. all they need to do is address the neck dive even tho easily rectified by yourself and maybe tweak the pickups they use the neck pup solo'd sonds pretty cool if you get it EQd right.

I like mines and i call it a marmite bass for a reason xD
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Razgriz_101
Epi t-bird is an ok bass.It gets a lot of hate round here, it can do really well if Eq'd correctly. all they need to do is address the neck dive even tho easily rectified by yourself and maybe tweak the pickups they use the neck pup solo'd sonds pretty cool if you get it EQd right.

I like mines and i call it a marmite bass for a reason xD

He was still in no position to be mocking a Squier, especially a gem like the VM series.

TS, soloing the neck pick up will give you beefier, thumpier sounds, where as soloing the bridge pickup will give you clearer highs and twangs. It's best to experiment with this and find a healthy medium.
The knobs on the bass from top to bottom are neck pickup volume, bridge pickup volume and tone. All the tone does is cut out highs. At full, nothing happens, it'll sound pretty tinny in relation to dialed back, but in reality it's at 0 cut or boost. Basically it just controls how biting the sound will be (sort of). The neck volume and bridge volume do exactly as it says on the tin; neck and bridge volume. The neck pickup has a warmer sound, boomier, woofier, more thumping etc. The bridge pickup has a tighter sound,t hat's the only way to really explain it.

The way to figure out what you want to do is experiment. Solo each pickup and play something on each, at different parts of the bass (i.e. over the neck, over the neck pickup, over the bridge pickup, right at the bridge). Then set them even and play something, 75/25, 25/75, etc.
Thank you for all the info, u guys have been very helpful. Thank your very very much.