So, I've decided I really want a nice Les Paul. I currently have an American Standard Tele, and an epiphone LP special 2 (lol). The Tele is basically mint. I'm debating trading both up for a Les paul, maybe a gibson studio or something? What is the Tele worth, and what're gonna be my best bets LP wise?

Thanks,
Evan
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
Without having a guitar evaluation guide in front of me, it's really hard to place a value on your Tele. Things like color can effect value. Furthermore, even if the book says one thing, you still have to find someone willing to pay that value.

Consider selling it to another guitar player. You'll probably get the most doing it that way. If you decide to trade it in, try a couple of different stores - if at all possible. The value you receive will also be dictated by what you're trading for. Good luck.
You could easily trade the tele straight up for a Gibson Les Paul Studio. Just look around craigslist. Trust me I bet it wouldn't even take you long to find
Could I get anything better though you think?
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
maybe an sg standard. To get an LP Standard you would most likely have to add money to it.
All the different LPs confuse me, does anyone have a chart showing the differences or something?
Bump?
Basically it's lowest to highest.....
Studio & variants of it, BFG & some other weird LPs, Traditional, Standard, Custom, VOS, Signature Models (last 2 are Custom Shop products). (Not sure where the DarkFire or Robot show up and couldn't care less really!)
Most of us mortals won't get past the VOS as they range from $3500 CAD to just under $6000 CAD!
I really like the Traditional @ $2450 CAD (biased as I own one) as it represented the closest affordable version of the "Holy Grail era" LPs. I did consider a VOS but it was starting at $1100 CAD more than the Trad so that made my mind up for me! Look for my review of my LP soon, it's submitted but pending approval (hopefull yit won't be rejected as it's the first Trad review for this site!)
Studios are the entry level Gibson USA models and you can spend from ~ $800 CAD up to ~$1800 CAD for them. They have slightly less appointments (Binding mainly with the lower end selection of tone woods - best is kept for VOS & Custom Shop use)

You may find a Studio you really like, just be prepared to sample quite a few and look past the factory setup which is less than stellar IMO.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 3, 2010,
I'm mainly interested in the studio, traditional, and standard. What're the differences between the 3?
Honestly not as much as you would think with the price differences. The studio actually uses the hottest pickups of all three(490R/498T). While I believe most of the Standards and Traditionals use '57 Classics(please correct me if i'm wrong). The standards and traditionals also come with coil tapping(there are a couple models of the studio that comes with this). The standard and traditional also have neck and body binding. With the standard and traditional you also have the option of more burst tops as opposed to mostly just plain colors. I've played a few studios along side of standards before and honestly didn't find as much of a difference as you would expect with the 1k difference in price(on average).