Hey all I am going to buy an acoustic in a few weeks and, since I don't really know much about acoustics as far as brand goes and whatnot, I was wondering if you guys could suggest me an acoustic with one or more of the following characteristics:
-Capable of being set-up with low action for lead playing whilst retaining full-bodied sound and nice harmonics.
-An acoustic good for playing Jazz
-Within given price range

I suppose that's it, any and all input is appreciated, thanks in advance.

if you got a cutaway dread, you could put silk and steels to cut a little of the sustain, since too much sustain isn't very useful for leads. a lot of jazz guitars have little sustain and a very compressed sound - like archtops and gypsy jazz guitars, but they don't have a full bodied sound.

the way you explain it, it seems like you need two different guitars. btw, pretty much any guitar can have the action lowered.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=gitane
here are all the gitanes sold at musiciansfriend. while i don't find they have a full bodied sound, they are cool for leads.

you might consider the best ovation you can afford. al dimeola plays a lot of jazz leads on his, and while it's out of your price range, you might find something you like. i've played it and it's a great sounding guitar with a big sound. important perhaps to note is it's a deep bowl, and if you go ovation, i wouldn't recommend a shallow bowl, although a mid might be to your taste.
^Thank you very much, I'm looking into some Ovations right now.

EDIT: Found an Ovation Standard Balladeer 1861 AX Acoustic-Electric Guitar used "like new" for about 650, good deal?
Last edited by John McLaughlin at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by John McLaughlin
^Thank you very much, I'm looking into some Ovations right now.

EDIT: Found an Ovation Standard Balladeer 1861 AX Acoustic-Electric Guitar used "like new" for about 650, good deal?

honestly, it doesn't really sound like it (if we're talking about US dollars). if i found the right guitar on google, they're going for about $699 brand new. $650 used isn't much of a great deal, unless you mean it's just out of the box in a store or something. then maybe.

anyway, you won't find a whole lot of people around here who would recommend ovations. there's no denying that they're comfortable to play action-wise, but generally they don't sound great unplugged and they aren't comfortable sitting down (in my opinion). could be great for lead playing though.

i'd recommend looking into seagulls. i'm pretty damn partial to them, but mine came with great action and is extremely comfortable. the neck is somewhat wide, but i would think that would fit a jazz / lead player pretty well. brand new from a store on ebay it was $750, selling for $1000 on musicians friend. plus the pictures of the guitar were listed in the ebay ad, so i got to choose it from a couple others! if you can play any of the guitars you're looking at first it's a big advantage, but if you're like me and your dream guitar isn't at a local shop then ebay is a little bit more risky. i had researched it for a couple years before i bought, so i was pretty damn sure hope some of this helps
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i'd recommend looking into seagulls. i'm pretty damn partial to them, but mine came with great action and is extremely comfortable. the neck is somewhat wide, but i would think that would fit a jazz / lead player pretty well. brand new from a store on ebay it was $750, selling for $1000 on musicians friend. plus the pictures of the guitar were listed in the ebay ad, so i got to choose it from a couple others! if you can play any of the guitars you're looking at first it's a big advantage, but if you're like me and your dream guitar isn't at a local shop then ebay is a little bit more risky. i had researched it for a couple years before i bought, so i was pretty damn sure hope some of this helps

Ah thanks for the input, any particular model you'd recommend? I'm going to check some out on Musiciansfriend.

EDIT: I'm liking this one: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Maritime-SWS-Rosewood-SG-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=584112
Last edited by John McLaughlin at Jun 1, 2010,
I have a Seagull S6 original that I have had for about a year and a half now. It was hard getting used to the wide neck after playing washburns for 9 years. I just bought a Martin D-15 last week and to me its much easier to play, sounds absolutely fantastic and looks great. Don't get me wrong the Seagull is a great guitar but the D-15 is just amazing. I would say if you could, go for the Martin D-15. I know its $100 over what you wanted to spend but trust me its worth it in the end.
Quote by John McLaughlin
Ah thanks for the input, any particular model you'd recommend? I'm going to check some out on Musiciansfriend.

EDIT: I'm liking this one: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Maritime-SWS-Rosewood-SG-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=584112

thats a good one, i looked at that one a LOT before i found mine new from a store on ebay. i actually found my Artist edition for a little bit less than that thing's selling new. so i guess the best advice is don't jump on anything too quickly, look around for some deals

actually i'm going to send you a PM too, so check your messages on your profile
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip