http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Guitar-Parts-WILKINSON-EZ-E-Z-LOK-Tuners-6-Line-CHROME-/400125357137?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5d29546c51#ht_1836wt_1139

Looking at getting locking tuners for my Epi Les Paul, and would rather not spend $100+ on them. What do you think of these Wilkinson ones?
Quote by Oldmonkeys
Agreed go for sperzels, they are really good tuners and they arent over $100

I've bought 2 sets and gotten them here to australia for under $70

Awesome, I'll look into that. By the way, did you get my PM, mate?
What you have to do for these tuners to work is slide them through 2 holes instead of one. I'm sure that'll keep 'em more in tune, but I don't know whether locking them in this way can also be achieved by using the good ol "string locking method"...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ae7HsWFRdYY

What Sperzel and Schallers do is "pinch" the string into place with a screw. That way it won't budge (much like guitars that use a locking nut). I'm sure both methods work well, but in the end it's really about the quality of the tuner: cheap manufacturing standards and materials will produce crappy hardware. If you really don't wanna spend a whole lot of money (Schallers and Sperzels'll cost you somewhere between 50 and 100 bucks, depending on where you buy them) then take the chance, if you don't wanna go wrong and you're sure that this guitar is worth the upgrade, go for the more renowned brands...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just out of interest, why do you want locking tuners? If your guitar has tuning issues, the pegs are probably the last thing you want to look at. The nut is usually the first thing that needs anything done i.e. cleaned and sometimes widened or shimmed, and most definitely lubricated.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
Quote by rednightmare
Just out of interest, why do you want locking tuners? If your guitar has tuning issues, the pegs are probably the last thing you want to look at. The nut is usually the first thing that needs anything done i.e. cleaned and sometimes widened or shimmed, and most definitely lubricated.

I suppose, that's probably a good idea. I've just got the stock one on there, which could be fucking paper mache for all I know. Would one of these be a good replacement nut? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SLOTTED-GRAPHITE-NUT-BLACK-WHITE-FITS-LES-PAUL-SG-ES-/260600139104?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3cacfa8d60#ht_1997wt_1139

Come to think of it, I think the tuners are alright actually. They're Grovers - the ones that come stock on an epi les paul standard.
A nut like that would be great, but I'd recommend going for a named brand ie graphtech I've seen them on ebay for about £5. Just for a bit more quality assurance. A nut change is a bit of a job to do on your own but if you've got experience with that sort of thing go for it. Otherwise it's forking out cash to your local tech. You can buy liquid lube specially made for nuts and bridges which is alright at first but very quickly drys up and can leave gunk in the nut if dirt gets mixed in with it. I've not used it myself yet but graphite powder in the string slots will also lubricate.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
i replace all my nuts with graphtech tusq nuts and all my tuners with sperzel trim-lok
i dont like the stock grovers
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.