First of all here's my setup
LTD Viper 100FM w/ Duncan Invaders on bridge and stock humbuckers on neck.
KUSTOM quad 100DFX 2x12 Combo

Yes, I know ska is to be played thru the single coils on the neck. I am wondering if there is a way i can "cut" the humbuckers in half to create a pseudo single coil.

Also, if I were to throw some lets say tele pickups on there, would the difference be good enough for that ska tone? I'm having a real issue getting these humbuckers to produce a liable ska tone. Ive equalized the sh*t out of it through amplitube seeing if a bunch of pedals could do the trick. And I've also lowered my guitar volume really low which helps just very slightly.

Got any advice?
Well as far as 'cutting' the humbuckers in half, thats called tapping or splitting. Take a look at your pickups, if there is two spare wires, thats for tapping. Most people use a push-pull pot to switch between tapped and untapped.

If yours dont, you can always get some different pickups that do have the 4 wires. But you also have the choice of single coil humbuckers (bear with me here). By single coil humbuckers i mean single coils that have been made in the shape of humbuckers in order to fit in the humbuckers original place.

Two examples are:

Link 1

or

Link 2

Both of those are very expensive, but im sure you could find cheaper out there, those are just what i could find to show you what i meant.

Hope thats of some help!

D&O

Edit: The dude from reel big fish uses humbuckers -

Link

Maybe look into how he gets his tone?
Last edited by Down&Out at Jun 1, 2010,
I play an LP, and when I want a single coil sound, I usually play using the neck and bridge pickups together.

Quote by Down&Out

If yours dont, you can always get some different pickups that do have the 4 wires. But you also have the choice of single coil humbuckers (bear with me here). By single coil humbuckers i mean single coils that have been made in the shape of humbuckers in order to fit in the humbuckers original place.
Link 1

That's actually just a really big P90. P90's, while being single coils, are famous for having a much fatter tone than normal single coils, and are NOT gonna get you strat tones.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Yeah i understand it's a P90, but it might get him closer to that tone that he wants without removing from the look of his guitar, if you get me.
When I play ska on a guitar with humbuckers I personally just use the bridge pickup and roll down the bass on the amp a little bit. Just tinker around with settings until you find the one you like
Quote by Shashing
When I play ska on a guitar with humbuckers I personally just use the bridge pickup and roll down the bass on the amp a little bit. Just tinker around with settings until you find the one you like

Same. I just turn up the gain untill just before the 'clean' leaves the sound and whack up the mids.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
I'm pretty sure the invader comes with 4 conductor cable so it shouldn't be hard to change 1 pot to a push pull and add a split coil switch. When you are just running 1 coil of the invader is pretty close to the same resistance as regular single so with any luck it wouldn't sound too thin.

If you are up for replacing pickups then you might want to look into duncans stag mag which is built like 2 single coil pickups wired together. Add the same push pull pot I talked about before and you get a very respectable single coil tone.

Another option would be to go with my hot or super hot neobuckers from http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com. They get higher highs and lower lows than traditional humbuckers so by rolling down the lows a bit and you get a nice bright tone that isn't quite like single coil tone but it's got the same bright quality and quick response that people need for ska. With a split coil switch you can also get even brighter and more realistic single coil tones.
Well I tried throwin the bass real low and upping the mid along some other tweaks, and managed to produce a ska sound that is ... OK, its definitely bright enough, but it lacks that "hit" that lots of ska band out there gets.

Anyway, when I got the cash, I think i might roll some P90s on the neck to get some more crunch in my ska. http://www.zzounds.com/item--SEMSPH90

Whatchya guys think?
P90's are not going to get you what you want. They are sluggish in the same way that most humbuckers are.

I still think the duncan stagg mag is your best bet. I'd say the Duncan P rails would also be worth a look because you can toggle between the thicker p90(ish) tone and the quicker strat(ish) tone