Prepare for a stupid question, maybe a with an obvious answer i overlooked

Ok, i was just think about boosts, and most of us know we use them to increase the output slightly so we can get some more juice out of a tube preamp but i just had a thought. Is it possible to make a boost with so much output, enough to create a high gain overdrive thats completely transparent tonally.

I mean as if you made one and threw it in front of a Fender Bassman, used one incredibly high output boost and then played teh br00tz.

Any thoughts?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
well, yes, but no.

using that crazy of a boost pedal would overload the first stage of your amplifier. in your example, a 5F6-A bassman, you have a 12AX7 stage biased at 2.5v with a 325v HT. overloading this would get you just a super unstable, "bluesy" distortion. the classic hot rodded marshall kind of distortion. not some chugga chugga metal stuff. and if you overload it enough, it'll just get muddy. then you feed through the volume control, then are you going to turn it up? if you're cranking it, move on. if you're not, you won't get a metal distortion stable enough to be pleasing.

so if ur gonna turn it up, u hit another 12AX7 stage with 325v HT biased at 1.2v. this one's even warmer. it'll get a very fizzy kind of distortion, a lot of upper harmonic content, and also probably muddy and unstable. i wouldn't do it...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
For br00tlz it think you need lots of gain stages, instead of kicking the crap out of one gain stage.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I see, it's still an interesting though.

It sounds like driving it that hard would create some kind of almost fuzz like effect, especially if you had more parameter control.

Has it ever been tried?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
When I boost the crap out of my clean channel it does get a sweet, raunchy fuzz tone. Worth trying to boost stuff even more, I'd say.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

well, if you've played with an amp with more than two gain stages before the preamp, you know how it is. first tube in most amps is pretty much a booster. it doesn't clip at all, and it just amplifies your signal more. second triode and later does all the clipping.

that being said, what you're doing is overloading the first stage as well, using the booster as the first stage, amplifying the signal.

i dont think one transistor can amplify the signal that far... i think boosters in the market has like 34dB of max voltage gain? conventional 12AX7 has a voltage gain of around 34dB i think... with the cathode resistor bypassed of course. so i don't think it's that awesome to just use a transistor in place of a tube. haha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
well, if you've played with an amp with more than two gain stages before the preamp, you know how it is. first tube in most amps is pretty much a booster. it doesn't clip at all, and it just amplifies your signal more. second triode and later does all the clipping.

that being said, what you're doing is overloading the first stage as well, using the booster as the first stage, amplifying the signal.

i dont think one transistor can amplify the signal that far... i think boosters in the market has like 34dB of max voltage gain? conventional 12AX7 has a voltage gain of around 34dB i think... with the cathode resistor bypassed of course. so i don't think it's that awesome to just use a transistor in place of a tube. haha.

I see. Maybe we should wait till AcousticMirror gets back online, he has/had a few clean amps and like 10 boosts and i assume he at point turned them all on at once.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
like i said, putting one boost after another just overloads the transistor/opamp in each boost! that's transistor clipping (like a fuzz face) not tube clipping! this booster thing has to be a single pedal if we don't want any transistor clipping. and i don't want that!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
like i said, putting one boost after another just overloads the transistor/opamp in each boost! that's transistor clipping (like a fuzz face) not tube clipping! this booster thing has to be a single pedal if we don't want any transistor clipping. and i don't want that!

You could put a bunch of transistors/pedals in parallel.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by ECistheBest

So if we were to run with the initial idea, is it possible to design a single transistor pedal with that much output on tap?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie