Ok so i've been playing guitar for 8 years now, and just started playing bass in a hardcore/metal band, and am trying to get used to the differences.
My main question right now (since i cant think of the others and i need to get to class) has to do with the strings. We play in drop C, and the low E string sounds very very floppy when i play it. granted, im playing on a squire so im aware its gonna sound like shit either way, but id like to have it sound the best i can without buying a new bass.
ive fixed this problem on guitar by switching to a higher gauged set of strings. can this be done on bass too? if so, what kind of strings would you guys suggest for playing metal in drop c?

look forward to your answers, ill be back after class!
Yep, it'll definitely work the same with bass. If you're going to drop C, up the gauge to .110-.050 and it should be all fine. As for the kind of strings, brand is really up to you (I recommend Rotosound always), but definitely get roundwounds for the classic metal sound.
Like jazz_rock_feel said, get a higher gauge string. 5 and 6 string basses have a B under the E, so if you buy a pack of 5's (or individual strings, the gauges should be from around .065-.130 from high to low) you should be all set. Rotosounds are good, but I also like D'Addarios.
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
If you slap a set of 5 strings on there without the G string, you should be good.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Thanks guys! I figured it would be similar, but knowing specific guages helps me before spending money.
Ill see how this works :]
Quote by Captain Insano
For every step I drop, I step the gauge up .05.

E - .105
D - .110
C - .115

Just my personal rule of thumb.

This. I use .115 on my bass, sounds good in Drop C.
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
Yea hfatter string will help but pay a tech $30 and have him/her go throguh the bass and set it up for that tuning. I play in a cover band and tunings are all over. I ahve multiple basses for each tuning. I use one for drop D and standard and another for C or B. If that bass is strictly C Id get it setup for that tuning youd be amazed how much better it sounds and plays.
If you slap the low four strings from a set of 5's on there, you may have to refile the nut to get the strings to fit. Your best bet is to simply get a set of 4's in a relatively heavy gauge (.110 or .115 should both work fine) and just play with those. Also, Squier's (with the exception of the affinity series) don't have as bad of a reputation in the bass community as with the guitar community. There are some gems out there that beat Fender's quality and the vintage modified and classic players series are excellent basses for the money. Just for the record.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal