Well I finally picked up my new guitar, a Danelectro '63 in gold. I had ordered it in keen green, but the shop must have made a mistake, the gold does look a little green, but it's no biggie.

I've got to say I'm pretty impressed. I'm not a guitar expert but it all feels very solid much more like a "pro" guitar than the beginners stuff I've played on. The guitar cost me £130, which puts it into the range of an Epiphone les Paul Special 2, although feels a lot more solid.

Tuning is easy and the guitar stays in tune well, I can't really comment on the action as I'm not skilled enough to see if it could be improved, currently it certainly plays nicely and there's no fret buzz. One slight annoyance is that you can't adjust the truss rod without taking off the neck. My Dad has been playing guitars for 40+ years and made a few, I might get him to see if the action could be improved.

Intonation is perfect and certainly after playing a 60 year old archtop with no truss rod at all it nice to have something that plays in tune all the way up..

The volume and tone pots are a little odd, they don't seem to make a huge amount of difference until the end. I could be something to do with using linear against logarithmic resistance, but they are fine and dialing in a volume or tone just feels a little odd at first.

The sound is great on all three settings (bridge, neck and combined) it's got a great twang and a very nice jangle sort of sound. Cleans sound nice and with an overdrive or distortion pedal (using a DS1) you can certainly get a good vintage rock tone.

I'm currently using two amps with it, a customised Fender Squier 10W with 8" Celeston speaker and an Orange 30R Solid State. I actually really like the scratchy sound the smaller amp and speaker give this guitar, although the Orange sounds very natural.

Anyway, some pictures..

HNGD I have the keen green and i like it too, im no expert but i like it more than all the other guitars ive played in the sub £200 price range
Meh...
Quote by 14houghton91
HNGD I have the keen green and i like it too, im no expert but i like it more than all the other guitars ive played in the sub £200 price range

thanks all,

what amp to you play it through. And what strings have you found work best? It sounds nice, but at the moment it sounds very dull through the Orange Amp..
nice! that looks like gold to me too you could always complain- even if you like the gold, they might offer you some money off to save them the bother of having to send another one out.

where'd you get it for £130, out of interest? I've been after a dc59 for, er, as cheap as possible as I haven't been able to try them
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That is so sexy - I want one now.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
^^ thanks

EDIT: do they have a website? google isn't showing one, anyway.

EDIT #2: actually I think I've found it, don't worry.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 1, 2010,