Alright, after months of not owning equipment (after having to sell for personal reasons) and finally having a job in 2 weeks that'll pay good enough to allow this, I want to get all new equipment, I already have my amp picked out and making payments on it at the local shop here, however, finding a guitar that I like is very hard (I'm somewhat picky).

Recently whats caught my eye is a candy apple red Fender Strat, now I was never much of a strat fan (or even a fan of the general strat shaped guitars) but for some reason in this color it just catches my eye, and the one I've played was pretty nice (it was a HSS MIM strat), however after the amp I cannot really afford to buy a "real" strat until maybe 6-8 months down the line, I looked at cheaper strat copies and most feel cheap/sound terrible.

Which is what brings me here, I was looking through the Guitar Fetish website and found all the parts to build the exact guitar I've had in my head for months now for $220-245 USD WITH shipping.

Now I don't have experience with building guitars per-se, I can do pickup changes and wiring and I know how to do setups and etc, but I figure most of the assembly can't be too hard, which leads me to ask if anyone has any experience with the bodies and necks from there? Quality wise would this end up being better than a squier or some other strat knock-off?
I don't think Guitar Fetish parts are on par with with Warmoth. A quality guitar built out of good parts isn't really cheaper than the original guitar. Some poeple do it do allow for customization or for the experience but rarely to save money. You'd probably also have a hard time selling this later on when you want to get another guitar.
Moving on.....
The kits there are good, or so I've heard.
I don't really think there's a difference between an Ash GFS Body, and an Ash Warmoth body.
Necks, there may be a little difference.
..I was watching my death.
Yeah, I'm looking into an Ibanez RG350R1 http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG350R1-Electric-Guitar?sku=581834

any opinions on it? I'd swap out the bridge pickup, leave others stock since I don't use them and do a basic setup on it.

I have no way to try it out as the only place locally that has that model is 45 mins to an hour away and I don't wanna waste time to try out a guitar and not like it or find out its garbage pretty much.
Man, what's with all these GFS questions lately?

Quote by timbit2006
The kits there are good, or so I've heard.
I don't really think there's a difference between an Ash GFS Body, and an Ash Warmoth body.
Necks, there may be a little difference.

You're joking right? A $60 lightweight ash body from GFS isn't going to be anywhere near as good as a $300 ash body from warmoth. Not all wood is created equal, so in short: you get what you pay for.

GFS isn't that bad, but you may be better off getting a higher end squier or something.
Quote by Schism1985
Man, what's with all these GFS questions lately?

You're joking right? A $60 lightweight ash body from GFS isn't going to be anywhere near as good as a $300 ash body from warmoth. Not all wood is created equal, so in short: you get what you pay for.

GFS isn't that bad, but you may be better off getting a higher end squier or something.

I've been wondering the same thing. GFS this, GFS that...

I guess you're right there. The grade of lumber is different.
A 3 piece body. Is gonna be routed the same way, and prepared the same way as your $300 Warmoth body.
..I was watching my death.
I would guess it's a result of google search results. As more threads are created relating to GFS, more hits turn up, and more traffic comes here.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
I think they're great. I've had no problems with them, except that the screws strip really easily compared to proper stuff from say fender/duncans.

I'd say watch out for the necks. If you see even a slight warp or twist, thats a lemon and you should send it back. I was too late for mine as it was painted and chopped up by then. From what I've heard, GFS are quite cooperative with problems. They've certainly answered my noob questions before.

They do have pretty much unbeatable value, except on some electronic parts, where small bear, radioshack and even maplin undercut them.
does anybody know about the quality of their TOM roller bridges? the standard rollers and the Wilkinson ones
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
i got the explorer kit and the wood and routing is very nice. i would like to replace all the hardware and electronics cause they are meh but i can deal because as of last week i blough a jackson kelly performer and i need to buy some stuff for it and do minor maintence because the prevous owner didnt take very good care of it. ugh... but yea the neck pocket was perfect i pushed the neck in and i couls just shake it around and it was fine. so i went ahead and set it but idk if im jus lucky or not but my experiences with GFS have been very good.