Hey Guys

So I was off sick from work today and thought I would venture into the world of Floyd Rose.

My GF bought me an Epiphone goth with a floyd rose a while back, I played the thing but never botherd setting it up.

bought it 2nd hand and the previous owner must have been a bit "special" with the setup the guitar was running.

So I did quite a bit of reading and am pretty sure I understand the Floyd Rose. I went and changed all the string.

Going down from 11gage Frankenstein strings to 9gage, so I figured the bridge would be flouting right out the body and I would have to adjust the springs, but it wasnt, instead it has fallen back into the body, which I cant understand, at the back it had 3 springs set as tight as 3 strings can be, so I spaced it out and even gave the adjustment screws a few turns out, and the bridge is still a few mm short of where it should be.

I took a spring out and the bridge looks like it didn't even move. I made slight adjustments to my string hight studs which I am guessing is causing the problems.

What effects would tightening and loosening them have on my current situation?

At the moment the guitar is unplayable as the low E is rattling off the pickup its so low.

I'm guessing that a few of the replies would be to take it in and have someone do it for me, but thats not what I am trying to achieve here, I like to know my guitars and set them up myeslf. Plus its always nice to have a new skill.

So... any idea's? (I can post pic's if that will help)
Last edited by M3mPh1z at Jun 1, 2010,
Adjust the screws in the back cavity until the bridge is flush with the body of the guitar.
The Bridge Height Studs control your action, if your buzzing alot you may want to unscrew them a bit.
Make sure your neck isn't bent back.
Last edited by Shred-Hed at Jun 1, 2010,
Pictures would help but it sounds like you need to loosen or tighten the screws in the cavity and possibly adjust the action
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Screws in the cavity did the trick, was playing with it for hours now and now it is PERFECT!!

Thanks guys
Rock on then! And +1 for the Girlfriend buying you a guitar...
Member #78 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

Originally Posted by Gibson_Rocker13
why the hell would you worship satan if hes gunna torture the **** out of you.
What did you read about Floyds that gave you the impression that the springs vs. strings principle works backwards?
Quote by thejackel16
Rock on then! And +1 for the Girlfriend buying you a guitar...

Yea dude, she also bought me a 1981 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, sugar mamma ftw, and a cheapy strat and tanglewood acoustic, lol

Quote by Pikka Bird
What did you read about Floyds that gave you the impression that the springs vs. strings principle works backwards?

What gave you the impression that I got it backwards? Higher gauge strings = Higher tension hence higher spring tension is needed to float it
^Well, you said you went down from 11s to 9s and expected the unit to raise out of the body...
Oh I see my mistake, confused myself so much thinking about it over and over
^Well, the other end is pivoting around the posts, so it doesn't really rise a lot. The effective parts (the saddles) actually sink in with the ass-end, so it's only the very front end of the baseplate that can be said to rise.