Ok this thread is ONLY about distortion pedals. I don't want any amp / guitar / pickup recommendations here. I know a lot of people prefer built-in amp distortion, but I'm just being curious about what you guys think of pedals.

So what do you think is the best distortion pedal out there for high gain, crunchy metal tones? I'm not talking about overdrive pedals used as a boost to an amp's distortion, I'm talking about the tone of the pedal only!

Discuss!
Jbab
Quote by '93
amazing...you sir deserve a lol stack

try posting under Gear and Accessories.

'67 Gibson SG Standard
MXR Phase 90 | Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9 | Vox V847A Wah-Wah
'65 Fender Bassman
Metal muff, avoid the MT-2
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
I alway's liked how my old DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp sounded. I got it used 26 years ago and it still Rock's.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
Quote by adj209
Metal muff, avoid the MT-2

I presume you mean the BOSS MT-2? What is wrong with them? I've been considering one...
I like the BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone a lot for over-the-top, crunchmania distortion, but everybody here seems to hate it...o_o I've tried the Digitech Metal Master, the Aria Ultra Metal and the Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi, and the Metal Master didn't please me much, the Ultra Metal had no mid selector and sounded fairly muddy as a result IMO(metal crunch usually involves high treb/bass and low mids, so if I turned either of those up the mids were going up...=/) and the Muff was okay but I wouldn't say it was metal.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I'm yet to find any boss distortion pedal that really sounds good. They are pretty mediocre imo. Out of all the distortion overdrives I've tried I've found tubescreamers to be the best. I use an ibanez TS9 and it is great, so warm. The maxon line is supposed to be good to. The TS808 is one of the best overdrive pedals you can get without buying a boutique tube driven pedal.
Digitech HardWire series pedals. TL-2 for modern heavy metal distortion and beyond, SC-2 for anything from light crunch up to more standard metal tones. There aren't any other pedals on the market that are built as solidly with the same versatile functionality as the Digitech HardWire series. Of course they do cost a fair bit more than your regular Digitech or BOSS pedals, but they're worth the extra money.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
MXR fullbore for sure, i didn't really like my metal muff at all( come to think i should take it out of my sig since i traded it for a jekyll and hide bout a week ago)
Last edited by Painkiller_73 at Jun 1, 2010,
It's subjective really. IMO the Rothwell Pedals sound great especially the Hellbender and Heartbreaker.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
i've been through tons of distortion pedals and overdrives over the years. the EH Metal Muff is the one that i like best. perhaps not the best pedal for death metal but for mor classic metal sounds it's hard to beat. i use a BBE AM 64 as an overdrive. it's supposed to be a distortion pedal but it is a little to polite for that in my book. as an overdrive though it's great and has a bass kick i haven't found in other overdrives.
I'm a fan of the MT-2 metal zone personally, but metalcore is sweet too.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
ML-2 Metalcore is a pretty nice pedal
"I'm not retreating, I'm initiating an offensive manouvre in the opposite direction!"