Hi UG,

I'm looking into starting a little home studio for recording instruments. I'm not too sure about ALL the gear I would need so I come to UG for help. From what I understand I need mic's to mic up guitars and drums. Run the mic's to an interface and from the interface go to the computer DAW. Is this the correct way to do this? Also can you suggest things that will be helpful in recording and some good recording gear for me too start looking at?

For guitars I will be buying a SM57
For vocals Iwill be buying a SM58

For drums I'm not too sure. I know I need a drum mic kit but can someone tell me a good brand of drum mics?

thanks
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
you are mostly correct on the way you are recording. I would suggest getiing some presonus interface like the firestudio. You can daisy chain a few together and get more inputs. Its an expandable system to say the least. About mics.... You can spend hors and hours and a boat load of cash on mics. I would invest in a few SM57 (like you said) a Sennheiser e609(electric gtr snare etc) a decent mic for vocals (Audio-Technica, AKG, Blue, etc) For drum mics I would recommend you get a bundle rather than individual mics for money reasons. Shure PGDMK6-XLR is a 6-mic Drum Microphone Package Complete with XLR Cables and Drum Mounts. Its a decent drum mic kit and its only $400. Hope this helps. Oh and dont for get the accessories. The stands, cables, pop filter, all that good stuff.
Thanks for the input, I have a MUCH better idea of what to get now.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212