Hi there ,my name is Cody and I have been playing guitar for five years now though if i play you wouldn't know it .
I am 29 years old ,a husband and father to two daughters
Cant say I'm self taught but everything I've learned has been from books or the web .
I am fortunate enough to squeeze in 2 or 3 hours a day of practice . i have never played in a band and very seldom jam with someone else .
My skills are not nothing to brag about in fact that's why I'm here . I found this place looking for instruction and motivation to keep going .
styles i try to play are metal ,blues, rock and of course my own .
Zakk wylde is the guitarist that i hope one day to be able to play some of his stuff.
To Live Is To Die from Metallica is the song I hope to one day play .

Recently my younger brother that is 13 came down to visit . a couple years ago it was me who started him on his track to playing guitar and every time he dropped by I'd show him a technique or two that he was having a little trouble . but this last time that his come down he put me in a dark hole so to speak leaving me feel that i will never get the hang of this darn piece of wood . his timing was dead on .his speed was way beyond mine . the very techniques that i showed him a while back now he blows right by me .in fact I ask him if he can show me .
i cant even jam with him . i cant keep the time and i still fumble . I have been using a metronome for a year or two to help with timing but still cant .
my speed tops out at 16ths @ 132bpm
if anyone has some instruction they would advise that would be great . And nice to meet all of you .cody29

Quote by cody29

Zakk wylde is the guitarist that i hope one day to be able to play some of his stuff.

Good choice

I think what you need to do first is to narrow down exactly what you feel you need to improve. If there's many things then pick one and start focusing on that.

2 or three hours a day should be plenty of time to practice.

Is there a certain thing you feel needs improving about your playing?
Keep at it. Check out the Excersises/techniques sticky at the top for lots of great advice.
Welcome to UG.

Some things I would suggest are:

1. Take lessons if you have the money/time.

2. Learn theory (if you haven't already).

3. Expand the range of musical styles you listen to (for me at least nothing is as motivating as finding some new band or something that makes me rethink music). Listen to Classical, Jazz, Technical Death Metal, Post Rock, etc... and etc... and etc... There is something worth hearing in every genre.

4. Learn songs (full songs - not just sections like a lot of people do). There is some guy on here that is learning 1 song per week for 52 weeks. Granted they are mostly fairly easy songs but I guarantee he is going to make more progress as a guitarist than 75% (at least) of the people on here. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ItsOnlyGNR/blog/78479/

5. Practice slow. Nail everything perfect at half speed or less before you speed up. Most people try to play everything at full speed right away. They end up either playing it incorrectly, sloppy, or give up out of frustration. Slow is where the most learning happens.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by chainsawguitar

Is there a certain thing you feel needs improving about your playing?

right at this moment I'm trying to improve my speed . I've been working on it for a couple weeks .
and timing . right now i always have the metronome going when playing .
Quote by Tempoe
Keep at it. Check out the Excersises/techniques sticky at the top for lots of great advice.

will do .. thanks
Quote by jfreyvogel
Welcome to UG.

Some things I would suggest are:

1. Take lessons if you have the money/time.

2. Learn theory (if you haven't already).

3. Expand the range of musical styles you listen to (for me at least nothing is as motivating as finding some new band or something that makes me rethink music). Listen to Classical, Jazz, Technical Death Metal, Post Rock, etc... and etc... and etc... There is something worth hearing in every genre.

4. Learn songs. There is some guy on here that is learning 1 song per week for 52 weeks. Granted they are mostly fairly easy songs but I guarantee he is going to make more progress as a guitarist than 75% (at least) of the people on here. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ItsOnlyGNR/blog/78479/

5. Practice slow. Nail everything perfect at half speed or less before you speed up. Most people try to play everything at full speed right away. They end up either playing it incorrectly, sloppy, or give up out of frustration. Slow is where the most learning happens.

last time i got into theory i lost my self but i am picking at it hear and there .

that's a good idea with number 4 i will try that and see where it takes me

as far as lessons . i keep trying persuade my wife to let me take lessons but she insists that I don't lessons. she thinks I'm pretty good but i know better.
Last edited by cody29 at Jun 1, 2010,
Yeah the key things here are to always use a metronome, and play it very slowly. Imagine you're trying to make a recording, and it has to be 100% perfect. Increase speed by, say 5 bpm once you've mastered it at a slow speed.

And do accuracy exercises like this, to improve your synchronization between right and left hands:

E --------------------------------------------------6-7-8-9-----------
B ----------------------------------------5-6-7-8-----------7-8-9-10--
G ------------------------------4-5-6-7-------------------------------
D --------------------3-4-5-6-----------------------------------------
A -----------2-3-4-5--------------------------------------------------
E -1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------

E -------------------------------------------------------------------
B -------------------------------------------------------------------
G -8-9-10-11---------------------------------------------------------
D -------------9-10-11-12--------------------------------------------
A ---------------------------10-11-12-13-----------------------------
E -----------------------------------------11-12-13-14---------------

Just really simple things that will increase your confidence and comfortability on the guitar. Hope this helped.
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
Quote by cody29
as far as lessons . i keep trying persuade my wife to let me take lessons but she insists that I don't lessons. she thinks I'm pretty good but i know better.

Haha. I know how that goes, trust me. My advice, just do it. You shouldn't have to ask. Besides if you are already practicing 2-3 hours a day, then just replacing 1 practice per week with a lesson that will only be 1 hour long in all likelihood shouldn't be an issue.
Quote by Goodnighttnight
haha, is she your wife or your mom ?

The words of a single man.
Hey i'm not single man,
my girlfriend supports my playing , i wouldn't be with someone that doesn't tbh. I mean otherwise what is she there for. My girlfriend even offered to buy me a new amp for my birthday. I turned it down of course don't want her buying me stuff :p
Last edited by Goodnighttnight at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by Goodnighttnight
Hey i'm not single man,
my girlfriend supports my playing , i wouldn't be with someone that doesn't tbh. I mean otherwise what is she there for. My girlfriend even offered to buy me a new amp for my birthday. I turned it down of course don't want her buying me stuff :p

Damn, lucky man. Mine doesn't even like music. I know, how crazy is that right?
Mine hates GnR , which is all i play. She says it's mainly Axl but i know she despises pretty much every band from before her time :P Don't think i have it any better , damn rammstein , nightwish have to listen to it all the time too