Okay guys, I'm new here and decided to start this thread to gather some insight. I've played for almost seven years now, but recently I've been interested in tuning my guitar incredibly low 1) because I love the low end and 2) because it best matches my voice whenever I try to sing when it's in G# standard. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to alter my string gauges and set up the bridge to make this tuning possible. I've already considered buying seven-string sets with the thickest set being GHS Boomers that are .013-.060. And one last thing, I probably won't buy a seven string so if there's any other recommendations you have they would be appreciated.

My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-401 2009
Peavey Deuce 240
Digitech RP90
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
DR or Ernie Ball strings
Why on earth would you want to tune THAT low? I understand that the low tuning fits your voice better for that key, but what about not writing songs in that key?

I honestly suggest just tuning down to like B standard. It's pretty damned low, and heavy enough.

If you're hellbent on tuning that low however, just buy a set of strings made for a seven-string guitar and put them on. That GHS set should work. You'll have to get your guitar set up again for that tuning though.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
I'm not sure how happy your guitar will be with that tuning, cuz of the 24,75 inch scale,, you'll probably need a 14/70 set for that.. otherwise it will sound like cooked spaghetti(not good(no shit)). sure, you can do it, but you need really thick strings. the best would be to have a guitar with a 25.5 inch or longer scale, but it is possible

cheers
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Yeah Ibanez and Gibson design all their models on their iPods.

Pokémon CYOA
Click here for my electro tunes!

Proud user and abuser of Bugera
well, i also love tuning low, im conisdering tuning my electric like a bass :P, but, i would get an 8 string: then, you get the low range, and you keep the high.

F#BEADGBe

think about it. a six string in F# std is: F#BEAC#F# (i think :P). you lose the higher range and the option of soloing high pitched. schecter make good ones.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
why don't you just play a bass man?

Be sure once you drop it though you get it properly itonated. I can only imagine you'll be off an incredible amount
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by Banjocal
well, i also love tuning low, im conisdering tuning my electric like a bass :P

As a bassist, I just wanna say this: GET THE HELL OUT OF MY FREQUENCIES
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by kumamilesbear
As a bassist, I just wanna say this: GET THE HELL OUT OF MY FREQUENCIES

lol NEVER! i am a very strange guitarist ^^. and i LOVE a deep sound.

Quote by mmkat
as banjocal said, i'd try out a couple of 8 strings. ibanez has some good ones, too. they're loaded with EMG 808 active pickups

NOOO The Ibanez RGA8 is TERRIBLE: the scale length is way too short, a lot of people have been saying that the bridge cant take the strain because of the poor wood, and they have crappy 7 string EMG's, and not the good EMGs. that being said, the Prestige model 8 string is very good, for two grand though.

try schecter, much better.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
lol NEVER! i am a very strange guitarist ^^. and i LOVE a deep sound.

I love deep sounds as well, but I leave that to the deep instruments in my band to make that happen :P
Do what you want though, just don't ask me to play bass for your band xD
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Very well then, I think I'm sold on a seven string. I think I'll check out those schecters. Thanks for the help.