Poll: See thread.
Poll Options
View poll results: See thread.
Happiness
25 60%
Posterity
17 40%
Voters: 42.
So your job makes you miserable, and you would love nothing more than to quit so you can start doing all the things you love to do. (Animal masturbation, scat-munching, partying, etc...)

However, your job is really important and you realize that the culmination of your work will lead to something which will give to posterity remarkable standards of living (lets say you are curing cancer, or developing some sort of flawless [economic] model or something.)

Do you continue to work even though you are miserable, or do you go for what will make you happy in life?

Why?

tl;dr: So I told my girlfriend that I gave her AIDS, and now her parents are suing me. WTF do I do?!

edit: Posterity means future generations, not prosperity.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Last edited by Firenze at Jun 1, 2010,
Always put yourself first. No group is more important than the individuals that comprise it. (Before the inevitable responses - I don't care. Comment on this if you like but I won't be responding)

tl;dr: wtf?
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jun 1, 2010,
I'd honestly have to go with personal happiness. There's always going to be someone who can take my place at work.
-

Posterity -> happiness for me, this question does not apply.

Cool tl;dr.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Hmmmm. Playing with dog dick all day. Hmmmm.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I'd rather be happy than rich. I'm having the time of my life and I'm almost always broke a week before payday.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by jfreyvogel
Always put yourself first. No group is more important than the individuals that comprise it. (Before the inevitable responses - I don't care. Comment on this if you like but I won't be responding)

tl;dr: wtf?

the opposite of this. think of the others, dont be a selfish prick...

anyways, happiness. to be cliche, money cannot buy happiness...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Last edited by joshua029 at Jun 1, 2010,
Happiness is inattainable except by those who live in folley and stupidity. Any rational person should reallize that prosperity is greater than happiness. To be happy is to be ignorant.
Last edited by DeadlyIllness at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by Mad-Mike_J83
I'd rather be happy than rich. I'm having the time of my life and I'm almost always broke a week before payday.

You're thinking of prosperity.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Clarified what posterity is in the OP.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by DeadlyIllness
Happiness is inattainable except by those who live in folley and stupidity. Any rational person should reallize that prosperity is greater than happiness. To be happy is to be ignorant.

If it is a result of ignorance then one's happiness is meaningless and so not true happiness. Unhappiness however is a failing of will, or a misdirection of intelligence - and if one is intelligent then this unhappiness is simply another kind of ignorance.

... and posterity...
If I had cancer I know for a fact the guy who was bored of curing the illness would leave and **** me over, so I'll stick with the golden rule and **** them over too.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Firenze
you can start doing all the things you love to do. (Animal masturbation, scat-munching,
Maybe we're talking about you here, but we are definitely not talking about me.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Eh..I'm more of in the scenario where: work a couple lame asinine part time jobs in order to pay for tuition in order to get an interesting job (and it will most likely pay more than the part time ones I have now, so that's a bonus).
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Maybe we're talking about you here, but we are definitely not talking about me.

That's all a bit tame, isn't it?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
So my personal happiness or the betterment of the human race? If it was something that would do serious good, like stopping the oil leak, then my happiness will have to take the back burner for a little bit.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by captaincrunk
No. I'd let someone else continue my work if I were miserable. What's the point of living if you're miserable?
Honestly I'd have to agree with this. Although I can't think of any situations where I would be unhappy doing something like curing cancer.
Quote by guitarhero_764
Honestly I'd have to agree with this. Although I can't think of any situations where I would be unhappy doing something like curing cancer.

If I were the only one who could, it might be a bit different. It's tough.
I'm fucking curing a type of cancer, I'm working till my anus bleeds.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.