Page 1 of 2
Hey guys

I've got a Peavey 6505 and I'm very happy with the things it can do.
But when I go to see As I Lay Dyingn, Anima, Parkway Drive,... they play with the exact same set-up as me but they sound amazingly massive! I can get a heavey sound with my 6505 but never that awesome and I was wondering why. Then a friend of mine told me those bands all play on insanely modified amps.

I'm not really a tech guy so here's my question(s).
Where could I ask to modify my amp? What do they do with it? How much will this cost me? What does this 'modifying' realy mean? And can't you get that sound using pedals as well?

just wondering...
Do you use a OD/boost or EQ pedal? I would look into one or both before I would go out modifying the amp.
Quote by Kriptonite_r
nope, just got a Noise Suppressor and Chromatic Tuner. Both BOSS.
People tell me to get a Tube Screamer...but I don't know, I don't feel it makes my sound better, just different

I'd be willing to bet you'd find a Tube Screamer on all of those bands' pedalboards before you found a modded 6505.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jun 1, 2010,
You said this:
Quote by Kriptonite_r
But when I go to see As I Lay Dyingn, Anima, Parkway Drive,... they play with the exact same set-up as me but they sound amazingly massive!

And then you said:
Quote by Kriptonite_r
nope, just got a Noise Suppressor and Chromatic Tuner. Both BOSS.

Conclusion: you're not using their exact set-up.

Do a little research. Try to find EXACTLY what they use in their pedalboards.
(YouTube can be very useful for this, sometimes there are interviews where musicians give a tour of their gear.)
Also, try to find their exact amp settings.

And even if your guitar is exactly the same as theirs, you'll never sound exactly like them.
There are way too many variables (for example, when you go see them live, chances are you're hearing their amps being mic'd and balanced through the PA/mixer).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Are you talking about studio recorded stuff? The reason those recorded guitars sound so heavy is because they have been redubbed and reamped and EQ'd numerous times post recording. You won't get that sound just out of your 6505 like that.
Quote by Kriptonite_r

and i bet i'm nothing with the ts-7...more like the 808 version, right?

TS-7's work pretty good...plus their dirt cheap used. I got mine for like $20USD.
in my opinion, and eq AND a tubescreamer make the difference that'll make yours sound more like theirs. neither one alone will get you there, but with a lot of time and patience spent learning how to use the pedals with your amp, you'll get close enough that people will recognize it the "insert band name here" sound.
Quote by Kriptonite_r
yeah, for sure...but does this single pedal make the difference between a local band's sound and a professional headlining sound such as Parkway Drive's?

and i bet i'm nothing with the ts-7...more like the 808 version, right?

Did you not read my post?

Also, keep in mind that your guitar is a LTD MH-400NT.
That's not what they're using.

How can you say that you're using their exact same setup?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by eyebanez333
I'd be willing to bet you'd find a Tube Screamer on all of those bands' pedalboards before you found a modded 6505.

so true. everyone uses tube screamers.
and I know I don't use the EXACT set-up...(different strings, different cables...)

But i have the same guitar, same cab and same head, I just find it hard to believe 2 or 3 pedal make your guitar sound so much different. Intern modification sounded more realistic to me. Guess I was wrong?

And I'm not really waiting to get the EXACT same sound, just perhaps a bit more professional. I just would like to have an amazing sound on stage and I don't really know how
Quote by Linkerman
Did you not read my post?

Also, keep in mind that your guitar is a LTD MH-400NT.
That's not what they're using.

How can you say that you're using their exact same setup?

well...last time I saw Parkway Drive play Luke DID play a LTD MH-400NT, Peavey 6505 and even the same cab as mine (marshall 1960A)

But he sounded like freaking concrete...bet he played some pedals as well but i didn't see those (bet they were backstage, to make some more room onstage or someting...so yeah, same set-up except for pedals
Even took a pic from the head settings and tried those at home. Changed a bit, but not that much

If it's really the pedals that do the trick I'm willing to try that stuff out, just don't wanna waste money
Last edited by Kriptonite_r at Jun 1, 2010,
Haha this is amusing *shrugs*
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Don't forget that they're cranking their amps up. These amps open up a lot when cranked.

For the record, the only modification I can think of is that they may have added a bias pot to their 6505, so they can run their tubes a little hotter. It's the first thing I would do to a 6505, since they are biased kinda cold.
Quote by Dellinger1988
Haha this is amusing *shrugs*

yeah, so freakin funny...at least these guys are helping me out. I'm not trying to sound like someone who knows alot about guitars, I don't. But I'm not afraid to ask stuff to people who know alot more than me.

Instead of *shrugging*...try to deliver some usefull comments for once. I'd really appreciate that much more
Quote by Kriptonite_r
well...last time I saw Parkway Drive play Luke DID play a LTD MH-400NT, Peavey 6505 and even the same cab as mine (marshall 1960AV)

Meh, my bad. I was talking about AILD.

They use Gibson Les Pauls and EMG-loaded Ibanez ARTs.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Meh, my bad. I was talking about AILD.

They use Gibson Les Pauls and EMG-loaded Ibanez ARTs.

No prob dude. Maybe should have just stayed with one example to make things easier.

So you guys are saying:

1. do research,
2. get a descent TubeScreamer and EQ
3. **** around with the setting a while
4. make people shit their pants
Quote by Kriptonite_r
So you guys are saying:

1. do research,
4. make people shit their pants

I would add a 5th point, between your 3rd and 4th, that is a requirement to be able to "make people $#/% their pants":

1. do research,
4. learn to play the guitar and write songs as good as they do
5. make people $#/% their pants

(NOTE: i'm just messing with you, because since i never heard you play, i can't comment on your guitar skills )
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Kriptonite_r
yeah, so freakin funny...at least these guys are helping me out. I'm not trying to sound like someone who knows alot about guitars, I don't. But I'm not afraid to ask stuff to people who know alot more than me.

Instead of *shrugging*...try to deliver some usefull comments for once. I'd really appreciate that much more

Maxon OD-808 thats a MUST! run it as a boost
+1 on the cranked volume.. most (not all) tube amps sound thin and a little loose unless they are blasting, remembering a 120w amp is not really made to play in da bedroom.. but i do hehe..

i would imagine there running through EQ's and all sorts of shit also, maybe try playing around with the EQ on your amp..
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by forsaknazrael
If you know a competent amp tech, adding a bias pot and warming up the bias to about 70% dissipation will make a noticeable difference, IMO.

what is the 'bias pot' exactly? My english is not that good and i don't really know how to translate that. It makes the tubes go warmer...couldn't that be bad for the tubes? What will this do to my sound? Is this something a descent guitarshop could do? price perhaps?

sorry for all those questions, this is all pretty new to me...the cranking i mean...
its a pot inside the amp that controls how much voltage your power tubes run on .. more power more heat less life more noise .. MORE BALLS!

EDIT: a POT as a small control knob like on your guitar
Your English is pretty good, considering it's not your first language, for what it's worth.

Okay, well, you see, tubes need to set to a certain setting so they are working optimally. Peavey in particular sets their amps to run their tubes below the optimal setting. This allows for slightly longer tube life, and in general, you don't need to bias the tubes as long as they are matched.
However, the detriment to the longevity of the tubes is negligible, in my opinion, and the amps opens up a lot more and sound more alive.
I have a Peavey VTM60, and its stock fixed bias was probably below 20 mA. Sounded good, but I knew it could be better. So I modified the voltage divider and replaced the fixed resistor with a potentiometer, so I could adjust it. I now have it set to around 32 mA, and it sounds amazing, really warmed the amp up and let it open up more.

Pricing depends on the shop, and not any shop can do it. You may have to call around and see if you have any amp techs around.
Quote by Linkerman
I would add a 5th point, between your 3rd and 4th, that is a requirement to be able to "make people $#/% their pants":

1. do research,
4. learn to play the guitar and write songs as good as they do
5. make people $#/% their pants

(NOTE: i'm just messing with you, because since i never heard you play, i can't comment on your guitar skills )

haha i know, the shit pants part was a joke as well.
I'm not saying that i got all the skill, i don't
If people don't like my band I want it to be because we don't make good songs...not because our sound isn't good enough, that would be shit
Quote by Kriptonite_r
haha i know, the shit pants part was a joke as well.
I'm not saying that i got all the skill, i don't
If people don't like my band I want it to be because we don't make good songs...not because our sound isn't good enough, that would be shit

From personal experience, i can tell you this:
Most people don't care if your tone is a bit muddy, or too bright, or being drowned in the mix.

They just want a good show and to enjoy themselves.
You and your band's performance, stage presence, crowd captivation, etc, is 90% of the show, while your sound would be only 10%.

Disclaimer: these percentages are merely illustrative and aren't, by any means, scientific.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
From personal experience, i can tell you this:
Most people don't care if your tone is a bit muddy, or too bright, or being drowned in the mix.

They just want a good show and to enjoy themselves.
You and your band's performance, stage presence, crowd captivation, etc, is 90% of the show, while your sound would be only 10%.

Disclaimer: these percentages are merely illustrative and aren't, by any means, scientific.

putting up a descent show has always been a priority for us. We put a descent amount of time and dedication in our songs and we always leave the stage soaked. But I would just love to combine all that with a massive sound.

incase you wanna give some specific tips on sound and perhaps stage-performance:
www.myspace.com/antiiconmetal
some live songs on there and some video's as well. Hitting the studio in july
Quote by forsaknazrael
Did you see my last post?

yeah! thx alot mate! I bet that's what my friend meant when he said the amps were modded, right?
I'm gonna ask my local guitarshop if they do these kinds of things and if not I'll make some calls. If not to expensive i'm certainly gonna try that! I'm not familiar with al the numbers tho...20 mA, 35 mA...don't know what's not enough or what's to much but I reckon the guy who's gonna crank it will know right?
Yeah, if you find someone who will know how to mod, they will most certainly know how to bias it correctly.

Yeah, that MAY be what your friend meant, I think he probably was under the impression their mods were more extensive, though. MUCH more extensive modifications exist out there, but my research has lead me to believe that most professional guitarists don't care for their tone nearly as much as we obsess about it, hahaha.
I'm almost positive that Parkway Drive (both guitarists) use Maxon OD808's. From my knowledge only one of the guitarists uses the 6505 and the other uses a Mesa Rectifier. Cabinet may also be making a difference, not sure what cabs they use though.
Quote by Kriptonite_r
putting up a descent show has always been a priority for us. We put a descent amount of time and dedication in our songs and we always leave the stage soaked. But I would just love to combine all that with a massive sound.

incase you wanna give some specific tips on sound and perhaps stage-performance:
www.myspace.com/antiiconmetal
some live songs on there and some video's as well. Hitting the studio in july

SWEET JESUS, MAN!
YOU could teach ME!

I just checked your MySpace, it looks awesome. Who designed the layout?

I'm going to add you to my band's friends in MySpace, BLACKWING.
Gary J. Smith designed our logo, but i did the MySpace layout myself.

Anyway, "BLACKWING" is the reincarnation of a gothic metal band called "Morgan's Grave". We had to fire our lead singer, because she wasn't reliable, and the rhythm guitar player, her friend, left a while after.

So now we play some sort of alternative/progressive post-metal, mostly instrumental (aside from small passages where i sing).

And now we're getting ready to get back onstage...
It's been 6 months since our last gig, so we're feeling the need to get back out there, and show our new songs! (We trashed all of the previous songs, since they were all gothic metal stuff.)

Good luck to you guys, i wish you all the best!
(And sorry for the off-topic... )
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
@ AkiraSpectrum
yeah, i thought they played Maxons. not sure about the cabs as well...

@ Linkerman
thx mate! I did the lay-out myself by the way, took me a while but it's nice to get some positive comments on that...while on the other hand I like what you guys did as well, it very neat without to much bells and stuff, very subtil but very pro!
If you can find someone to do it, get the bias mod like forsaken is talking about. As for pedals, imho, every gigging/recording guitarist should have an od, eq and reverb.

I can tell you both of As I Lay Dying's guitarists use Maxon od808's and some Maxon delay.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
@Arterial

well, they are the same as the Parkway Drive settings.

But i'm really looking in to this Bias Mod. Gonna go to my local guitarshop (where I have been a regular client for over 5 years now) and i'm sure hell be able to hook me up with one of those. Just hoping the costs are not that high, the peavey, Marshall cab and LTD cost more than enough...
Last edited by Kriptonite_r at Jun 1, 2010,
Just some random info...

I'm pretty certain that for their first 2 albums they used Adam Dutkiewicz' modded peavey 5150 with the maxon 808 (other amps were used as well but this was one of the main ones).
Quote by justinb904
If you can find someone to do it, get the bias mod like forsaken is talking about. As for pedals, imho, every gigging/recording guitarist should have an od, eq and reverb.

I disagree, the only real pedal a recording/gigging guitarist who plays high gain needs is a noise reduction pedal.
Page 1 of 2