My girlfriend bought me a violin and im trying to play it. I find the fingering okay but its hard to get a clear sound with the bow. Im trying to do the rocking motion with it. Should the bow be tight or loose, and how do i adjust it?

I find it hard to do vibrato because im holding it with my face etc. How can i get around this?
most people will tell you to get a teacher. String instruments are very difficult to learn on your own, and you risk developing bad technique, which will hinder you in the long run.

Most instruments aren't like guitar or piano, which you can teach yourself relatively easily, and even then a teacher is usually preferable.

I personally do not play violin, but I hope you're not trying to produce vibrato by wiggling the string back and forth. Vibrato on a violin is produced by sliding your finger slightly up and down the neck, not pulling the string.
For those who play violin... we saluuuuuute you!
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
loosen/tighten the hairs by twisting the little peg at the bottom of the bow. As for vibrato, your hand should be making a forward waving motion on the bridge (our orchestra teacher had us practice the motion with our hand off the bridge/neck at first). I would also recommend a good teacher so you don't develop bad playing habits. the violin is pretty awkward and a bitch to learn on your own
"One does not walk into Vatican City with one's ass hanging out."
like everyone else said, get a teacher. But for the bow you should be able to tighten it with the metal adjuster on the bottom by turning it either way. You want it pretty tight, but not so it seems like it's going to snap.
Quote by GmacD
pull down his pants, his dick is probly the size of a newborn moose

Quote by Union Jake
Found this quite funny.

Quote by Ichikurosaki
Found this quite SEARCH BAR
Quote by rocklee1431
like everyone else said, get a teacher. But for the bow you should be able to tighten it with the metal adjuster on the bottom by turning it either way. You want it pretty tight, but not so it seems like it's going to snap.

thanks. i cant afford a teacher unfortunately so ill just have to try my best.
Play the Violin Sir-Shreadalot......
Play it forever .

Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Rush sucks. To stay on topic, primarily because they don't use violin on a frequent basis
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
be prepared to sound like absolute shit for at least 2 years (unless you are really talented) and get yourself a teacher. Violin is hard to learn bro.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
As other people have said, getting a teacher is the best thing, there's just too much technique involved to teach yourself.

Secondly, it takes AGES to get to the point where you actually sound good. I'm talking many years here.

The bow should be reasonably tight but not too tight, the wood shouldn't straight. When you put the violin away you should loosen the bow by turning the screw bit at the end of the bow. When you get it out to play you should then tighten it (have you put any resin on it?).

As for the "rocking motion", are you trying to do vibrato with the bow somehow?? Vibrato is done by shaking the finger holding down the string to rapidly vary the pitch and beginners usually don't do it (only once you can pitch the notes reasonably well is there any point in vibrato). The bow stroke for a beginner shouldn't be "rocking" at all, it should be very smooth. Make sure your holding the bow correctly and bending your fingers more near the heel.

Edit:
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
thanks. i cant afford a teacher unfortunately so ill just have to try my best.
Do you know anyone who plays violin? Because it would be really benificial if there was somebody who could actually see what you're doing technique wise (a friend who is fairly decent would do). Otherwise, it'll be pretty hard to get good technique just by watching youtube videos and stuff.

For the last point, are you using a shoulder rest?
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Jun 1, 2010,