Hi

I just got my new guitar, a Jackson Dinky, and it's got a FR

But I checked the tuning and it's half a semitone flat (weird, I know)

So should I tune this by using the fine tuners at the bridge, or shall I take the locks off the nut and tune it up there?

Thanks!
Use the fine tuners. That's what I would do. i really hate Floyd Rose setups for reasons like this, but what can you do?
Yeah I know... never had a guitar with a FR before, seems really complicated :/

I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Is there a limit to the amount of pitch change you can use the fine tuners for? maybe a semitone, or a tone?
I just set up my floyd its really easy which you get the hang down but you should always get it perfectly lock with the machine head then use the fine tuners for minor adjustments
EDIT: if you screwed in the fine tuners all the way and undo them all the way you can MAYBE get 3 semitones and a half so from E to Db in between C
Zune Tag: Metal4life 1976
PlayStation Network: Koltzow

Quote by Bearded_Seth
At least you know you're attractive..

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.
Last edited by Thrash_Head1990 at Jun 1, 2010,
Thanks
Watched a few videos like that and they go so fast and I don't see what they're doing half the time
Should I put something under the base plate to stop it moving before I unlock the nut? Or is that only required for when I re-string it?
I assume I shouldn't move the screws in the back (by the springs)?
Sorry for all the questions but to a noob it's very complicated!

Thanks
change 1 string at a time that way you keep the bridge parallel without sticking "something" under the bridge.

use the pause button when watching vids

only adjust the springs in the back to bring the bridge parallel to the body (guitar needs to be in tune as you a balancing spring and string tension)
ah ok, so basically if I change one string at a time and tune as I go, the bridge stays parallel, so I don't need to adjust the springs?
By the way, I'm sorry for all the questions. Total noob with FR's, and don't wanna break my shiny new guitar!
Floyds (or any floating bridge for that matter) are really not complicated at all. They are all based on balancing the string tension with that of the spring tension so that the baseplate of the trem 'floats' parallel to the body. People run into trouble when they start screwing around with things without using their brain for half a second to think about what they are doing.

A half semi-tone isn't much so my guess is that the guitar was actually set up for standard tuning and that it has just gone flat thanks to the strings stretching or perhaps even the neck settling in.

I would unlock the lock nut, set each fine tuner to it's half-way point, and then tune with the tuning pegs. Once it tune check the Floyd's plate to make sure it is parallel to the body.....if not you are going to have to make adjustments to the spring tenion by adjusting the claw.
Quote by webwarmiller
I would unlock the lock nut, set each fine tuner to it's half-way point, and then tune with the tuning pegs. Once it tune check the Floyd's plate to make sure it is parallel to the body.....if not you are going to have to make adjustments to the spring tenion by adjusting the claw.

This is what you want to be doing

Quote by ImaginaryEvil
ah ok, so basically if I change one string at a time and tune as I go, the bridge stays parallel, so I don't need to adjust the springs?

That's one of doing it, personally I just whip off the old strings and take the opportunity to get the guitar a decent clean and set up.
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Last edited by Bendybaws at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by webwarmiller

Would this require an adjustment to the intonation, even if I use the same gauge strings?
hi.... err... me again
so, I tuned my guitar by taking the clamps off, tuning it up, and then fine tuning... but it went flat again after about 2 days... not by much, only about 1/4 of a semitone...

what's that all about?
I noticed that the bridge isn't quite parallel to the body, but only but a degree, possibly less... it's only noticeable if you really examine it. could this be the cause?
If so, how to I correct it without needing to set the intonation again?
eventually a guitar is just going to go out of tune. nothing you can really do to stop it. just use the fine tuners to tune it up until they won't screw in or out anymore, then loosen the locking nut, put the fine tuners in the middle of their threads, and retune from the headstock. then tighten down the locking nut, check tuning, fix anything with the fine tuners, and play away.

strings will eventually stretch out, which will cause the guitar to go out of tune. hope that helps!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
this is how i tune it

1st string - Low E
2nd string - High E
3rd string - B
4th string - A
5th string - G
6th string - D
I do this because i want to keep the floyd in balance while tuning in standard E
Awesome
Thanks guys
So great to be able to ask people and get helpful responses... gawd bless the internet