Hi,

Is it necessary to have a practice scheme to become good?

I used to play a few scales up and down the neck before I started playing and did some exercises, but I soon grew bored of them and I just started playing songs. And I've been playing songs without doing exercises for a while now.

Does adding scales, exercises, .. really improve my playing that much better than just playing songs?
"I'm not retreating, I'm initiating an offensive manouvre in the opposite direction!"
I think that making a practice schedule can make you good in an efficient way. And besides scales and exercises you can work on ear training, improvisation etc. on a daily basis.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Exercises should augment your practice, but not be the focus of it. For example you get up to a part of a song that has sweep picking, but you can't sweep pick or at least not fluidly. Adding some exercises into your regimen can help you get past your prior limitations.
I only play song and I improvise a bit and I'm coming along quite well if I say so myself. So no I don't think it's essential
My gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded >>Dunlop Crybaby>>VoxVT30 =
do the excercises but not in a strictly scheduled manner, just goof around on scale and lead patterns in between songs and stuff and randomly throw in some speed and strength excercises and you get better faster cause it wont feel so routine and boring
necessary? absolutely not. Helpful? probably. Ive practiced and played for years without a practice scedule, and i think im at least a half-decent player, and that my practices have been pretty efficient. However, I have just recently started using a practice scheme. I think it just makes things more organized and helps you get more out of the time you have. Using excersises and scales and arpeggios in your practices will definitely help you get better, but as long as you play with correct technique, youre still going to get better the more you play. I think just messing around with lead patterns and stuff has helped me alot. So dont worry about it too much. have fun and learn songs, youll get better the more u play.
I dont think it's strictly necessary, and can inhibit you from spending time exploring an idea that you have just come across if your time is too rigidly mapped out.
Now what IS important is that when you come across something that you can't do well, that you really work on it and you put in some time and stick at it.
Like just about everything else, there's a happy medium. Too little structure and you just spend your time piddling around, too much and guitar playing becomes a chore. You've got to find the right point in between the two extremes.
I play my practise session by ear and make it up as I go. I usually have 2-3 hours, so I get to do different things, like practising techniques, playing songs, ear training, singing while playing, sight-reading etc etc. I try to do NOT do the same thing for a very long time, because that can be quite pointless, unless it's a difficult thing. Also: practising something for 10 minutes each day is more beneficial than practising it one hour once a week. This is true for techniques as well, do many different ones on one day, instead of devoted all your practise time to just one technique.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.