Hey,

So looking at getting this pedal, the MXR 10 Band EQ. I'm just wondering if it has to be run in the effects loop, as mine isn't the right level, or something like that.
It should sound fine in the loop or the regular chain.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
it can be used both infront of the amp and in the effects loop, if you're using the onboard distortion put it in the effects loop, if not put it at the ned of the pedal chain
It's not a requirement but running it infront of the amp kinda only EQs the signal going into it (guitar, any pedal prior, etc). You'll get more use and tonal variety with it in the loop. I'm not quite sure what you mean by your amp not being the right level. If nothing else, as long as you have a loop, engage the loop and adjust the pre-gain and post volume on the 10 band as you wish.
Ok, I should explain.

I've got a crappy ol' SS amp. I use pedals, a EHX Big Muff Pi for distortion. I'd be using the 10 band for a solo boost only.

I've been told my effects loop is the wrong level, line level and not instrument level or something?
I use mine in the loop...but my old Crate V18 didn't have a loop, and the pedal worked great out in front of that amp as a solo boost.
Contrary to what a couple of them are saying, putting it in the signal chain before the distortion can have a great effect on your tone. An eq pedal will shape your tone differently depending on whether it comes before or after the distortion. If you want to tighten up your sound for a high gain lead sound for example, then putting it before the distortion is a lot more effective than after. Of course experimenting with it is the only way to find what you like the most.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
Contrary to what a couple of them are saying, putting it in the signal chain before the distortion can have a great effect on your tone. An eq pedal will shape your tone differently depending on whether it comes before or after the distortion. If you want to tighten up your sound for a high gain lead sound for example, then putting it before the distortion is a lot more effective than after. Of course experimenting with it is the only way to find what you like the most.

Sorry for my ignorence, but do you mean that's a good thing?
Yes, I have my eq pedal as the first pedal in my chain and use it as a lead boost as my amp only has one overdrive channel. Where you put it really all depends on the sound you're looking for and how you plan to use it.

As a solo boost, I'd suggest trying it before your distortion with boosted mids and some of the bass cut out and highs set to your liking.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jun 1, 2010,
Ah alright, thanks. I was confused there for second!

So general thoughts are running this infront will work for a solo boost?
I put mine in the f/x loop, but I leave it on all the time....it is part of my tone.

For what you want....a boost...I would put it in front of the amp so you can step on it and get the boost for your solo.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
For what you want....a boost...I would put it in front of the amp so you can step on it and get the boost for your solo.
Yeah I usually put pedals in front of the amp too, unless I'm playing live. Then the amp is usually behind me!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."