I wish to get a really good, high-performance metal guitar. What kind of guitar would also meet this specifications?

- GREAT w/ metal
- Great Pickups
- NO TREMOLO ARM (If there is a good metal guitar WITH a tremolo arm, tell me anyway)
- STAYS IN TUNE WELL!!!!!!!
- Decent fretboard inlay
Ibanez IJX121
can you go used? also, perhaps look at the Fender HM. Good american made metal guitar. Other than that
Quote by guitarmack1
can you go used? also, perhaps look at the Fender HM. Good american made metal guitar. Other than that

If used, used as in a "Like New" or "Very Good" condition, then that would be fine, i guess.
Ibanez IJX121
I have a Schecter C-1 Elite I'd Sell for around $300 or so.
The best revenge is bettering yourself-Zacky V

311 Freak of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
Wait, nevermind, sorry, i do not want to own/buy a used guitar. It may cost a lot later to give it repairs and stuff like that. I wish for a new guitar, not a used one, and i want the SPECIFIC model name. Thank you!
Ibanez IJX121
Quote by PunkGuitaristx
Wait, nevermind, sorry, i do not want to own/buy a used guitar. It may cost a lot later to give it repairs and stuff like that. I wish for a new guitar, not a used one, and i want the SPECIFIC model name. Thank you!

Ibanez rgr321ex
A mid level ESP guitar would probably be good for you, I've had my LTD M-100FM for a while, which was a great guitar til some guy working at a guitar shop ****ed it up. Other than that I would get a Ibanez or a Schecter.
RG321 or RG2EX1
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Go to ebay and check out.

Charvel I love charvels they are a little expensive sometimes.
Ibanez I have a Japanese rg470 and love it.
Jackson Jacksons are great for metal.
ESP ESP is a very good for metal too.
Ibanez RGA32 is the best metal guitar in your price range without a doubt
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
you may need to pass on the awesome fretboard inlays/ great pickups if you're aiming under $400 bucks... a good set up pickups costs roughly $150-$200

that being said, there are some good metal friendly guitars to be had:
-ESP LTD EC- 256: $400
-Jackson Mark Morton Dominion D2: $450 (its a little more money for a brilliant guitar)
-Ibaney RG3EXFM1- $350

these are all solid guitars. theres nothing particularily stellar about any of them, but they get the job done with little fuss and worry. ultimately, that ought to be your goal anyways; to get a guitar that will do the job with the least amount of difficulty possible (something that cannot be said of most budget instruments... dean...)
An LTD 256 isn't in the same league of playability that an RGA32 is, but if you're into more classic rock then it maybe for you, however if you're going to stay under the 400 dollar mark buy the RGA32 and you won't be disappointed. It's a beast and it plays great.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by evmac
An LTD 256 isn't in the same league of playability that an RGA32 is, but if you're into more classic rock then it maybe for you, however if you're going to stay under the 400 dollar mark buy the RGA32 and you won't be disappointed. It's a beast and it plays great.

i agree wholeheartedly that in a flatout metal setting, the RGA32 is superior to the 256. however, i think that as an all around instrument, the 256 is better in the sense that it has more versitile playability and a reasonable sound for most types of music. the RGA always struck me as somewhat of a one-trick pony. plus, i find the wizard 2 neck to be too thin for my hands, but thats just preference/hand size
Quote by PunkGuitaristx

Guitars aren't like cars. I have no idea what kind of "repairs" you think you'll have to do, that you wouldn't end up doing on a brand new guitar anyway, just because you want to.

Anyway, If you have a decent amp, an Ibanez RG321, RG2EX or an RG3EX are very nice for the money.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
step one----go to Schecter website
step two----pick a Schecter that looks like you want
step three--enjoy shredding on your new Schecter

FWIW I bought a Schecter Devil spine (single EMG 81, tone-pros bridge, graphite nut, grover tuners, set neck) I have never really had it go out of tune, tuned it when I got it and have made MAYBE 3 minor tuning adjustments in the 3 months Ive had it.
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
Quote by SilverRock113
check out an Ibanez RG350DX

This.

Also, if you can push your limit to around $550-$600, an LTD MH-50 is very good value for money.
Quote by Offworld92
Guitars aren't like cars. I have no idea what kind of "repairs" you think you'll have to do, that you wouldn't end up doing on a brand new guitar anyway, just because you want to.
Anyway, If you have a decent amp, an Ibanez RG321, RG2EX or an RG3EX are very nice for the money.

this really, just dont get a broken one but thats easy as you should always; try before you buy!
Last edited by wolvenrick at Jun 3, 2010,
I'd vote for Schecter as they are made of massive wood and are really bulky in comparison to the low end Ibanez's
ibanez rg321 or rgr321ex
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Ibanez's low end guitars are quality axes, my friend! The RG321MH is a great guitar and it's really cheap.
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Quote by fivepointnine
step one----go to Schecter website
step two----pick a Schecter that looks like you want
step three--enjoy shredding on your new Schecter

FWIW I bought a Schecter Devil spine (single EMG 81, tone-pros bridge, graphite nut, grover tuners, set neck) I have never really had it go out of tune, tuned it when I got it and have made MAYBE 3 minor tuning adjustments in the 3 months Ive had it.

step four --- FAIL

schecters are good if you are looking to use it for like a few years then sell it, i've never had a good experience with schecter (and i've own 3 in the past). i say go with a ibanez or if you want to dish out 300-400 dollars more get yourself a PRS SE. schecters are made with lower quality wood but they make up for it with good hardware/electronics, would'nt you rather buy a guitar with great wood and with replaceable hardware/electronics, then buy a guitar with great hardware/electronics and having a body/neck made of crap wood?
Last edited by ticklemeasian at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by ticklemeasian
step four --- FAIL

schecters are good if you are looking to use it for like a few years then sell it, i've never had a good experience with schecter (and i've own 3 in the past). i say go with a ibanez or if you want to dish out 300-400 dollars more get yourself a PRS SE. schecters are made with lower quality wood but they make up for it with good hardware/electronics, would'nt you rather buy a guitar with great wood and with replaceable hardware/electronics, then buy a guitar with great hardware/electronics and having a body/neck made of crap wood?

Your recommending a PRS to someone thats looking to do purely metal?

Shame on you.
Quote by Funk Monk
Your recommending a PRS to someone thats looking to do purely metal?

Shame on you.

people play metal with PRS in fact PRS makes some guitars JUST for metal, like they have the Mikael Åkerfeldt signature, the Nick Catanese signature, the Mark Tremonti signature, the Mike Mushok signature, the Paul Allender signature, etc (not to mention the others who play metal on PRS but don't have a signature). also on their older custom 24, and SE custom 24 they had custom pickups for it to play metal.
hmmm...my Schecter is made of all Mahogany and ebony.....but its not a lower-end Schecter either
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
Quote by fivepointnine
hmmm...my Schecter is made of all Mahogany and ebony.....but its not a lower-end Schecter either

what i was saying before was that schecter usually uses lower grade wood for their import guitars, so unless you have a usa custom shop or something you are bound to get a guitar with lower quality wood.

bad wood = bad tone

then again on their import models they try their best to make it sound better by putting actives pickups in it.

bad wood + emgs/blackouts = decent tone

but then again he could just buy a ibanes or PRS which prides itselfs on how good the wood is they use on their guitars, even imports. and just buy new pickups or whatever and he would end up having a GREAT guitar.

seriously why get a guitar with crappy tone wood with no way of fixing that? i rather just get a ibanez with crappy pickups and replace the pickups with dimarzios or pay 300 more for a PRS.
Last edited by ticklemeasian at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by ticklemeasian
people play metal with PRS in fact PRS makes some guitars JUST for metal, like they have the Mikael Åkerfeldt signature, the Nick Catanese signature, the Mark Tremonti signature, the Mike Mushok signature, the Paul Allender signature, etc (not to mention the others who play metal on PRS but don't have a signature). also on their older custom 24, and SE custom 24 they had custom pickups for it to play metal.

Yeah but did you even read the first post? He wants a budget metal guitar, not something he is gonna need to spend too much on. PRS guitars START higher than his budget, so why would you be rattling off expensive guitars when this man wants an entry metal guitar.
Quote by Funk Monk
Yeah but did you even read the first post? He wants a budget metal guitar, not something he is gonna need to spend too much on. PRS guitars START higher than his budget, so why would you be rattling off expensive guitars when this man wants an entry metal guitar.

used prs at guitar center cost 300