Can some one help me a little with my lead playing. When soloing over really heavy riffs and progressions, I prefer a neoclassical style to playing, and i was wondering if anyone could help with getting some of those sounds. Playing stuff like major 7ths, flatted 2nds(phrygian stuff), and major 3rds over minor progressions helps me get that type of phrasing, but i was looking for some more tips or scales to help me. thanks
Arpeggiate shit.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
loads of slides, whammy like a mother ****er, the odd pinch harmonic, maybe crack the odd effect in there... or be like Matt Bellamy and sing in2 a distortion box, and make it somehow sound like a guitar solo... AWESOME !

failing that - A Minor Pentatonic, 1st postion lol
harmonic minors/melodic minors
sweep picking
sweep picking / tapping at the end
a good legato techinque
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
ignoring my hatred of the fact that 'neoclassical' is now the go to term for diatonic, non-bluesy guitar leads,
id say listening and transcribing the heavy players of this style is your best bet. think about what they do, then incorporate what you like into your playing. Think more melody then scale.
you can use whole tone scale
and also create your own scale pattern
think of some non regular scale pattern
it always helps in neo classical guitar solo
as it is supposed to sound different
Quote by MapOfYourHead
Analyse some Malmsteen. It's better getting ideas from the source, rather than getting second hand information.

THIS

TS, this is the best advice you'll get, aside from a landslide of theory to learn,look at some Yngwie and try to work out what scales he uses, little tricks he likes to imply, etc

When it comes to the realm of neo-classical shred, Yngwie is the go to man
Quote by ShredHead396
THIS

TS, this is the best advice you'll get, aside from a landslide of theory to learn,look at some Yngwie and try to work out what scales he uses, little tricks he likes to imply, etc

When it comes to the realm of neo-classical shred, Yngwie is the go to man

You're advising and yet you ask for Blind Guardian scales? How can this be?