Page 1 of 2
yea yea mybee I wrot it wrong .....

Hey . I have a problem wich I'v been trying to solve for a long time now.

I need to know some distancies of the 24 frets guitar , just don't tell me things like " it's easy" or check this or this......just chek it and tell me if you can.
The Distancies I need are just to make the guitar Octavs Stay Tunned.
You Know what I mean.....
Please Help!
? uhh..my frets are gradually decreasing in size on the neck?

it's a 25.5 scale guitar

honestly mate, I'm a wee bit confused
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
ummm .....look the thing is that I am trying to build the guitar....if you wanna know , I am trying to build a BC RICH Draco Ghost Flamed , but with few Changes....
And if I remember right , the scale of the original Bc is 25.5
ooo man you all got me all wrong , I ment to ask what are the distancies of things like the bridge and pick ups from the neck .....I have a neck already.....just need to build the body....soory for writing it wrong
I think (generally) the neck pup goes right behind the neck(leave a 1/4" or so extra if you use pup rings) and the bridge pup goes somewhere right in front of the bridge. You probably have to wing it a little. Take into consideration what kind of bridge and how you have to string it and adjust it in relation to where you place the nrridge pup.
Life is about taking risks, as long as the risks aren't too risky.
Quote by Brian__xD
Thank You sooo much!
Wow man it's Cool! this thing hepled me the find the place for the bridge but what about the pick ups?.....

No problem
Quote by Brian__xD
What about the distancies from pick up to pick up and etc....?

Not sure how you work that out but I heard you shouldn't position a pup directly under a harmonic node (anyone?)
Quote by Brian__xD
What about the distancies from pick up to pick up and etc....?

I have heard, that pickups are sometimes or usually placed at imaginary fret positions.

Meaning, you continue adding fret positions beyond your 24 or whatever and position the poles of the pup, on those positions, in suitable places.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
That doesn't sound complicated at ALL.
Life is about taking risks, as long as the risks aren't too risky.
Quote by lostcreation333
Not sure how you work that out but I heard you shouldn't position a pup directly under a harmonic node (anyone?)

makes sense. Of course, the distances of the nodes and antinodes from the bridge varies depending on the length of the string (IE what fret you're playing).

Quote by acrtl1000s
That doesn't sound complicated at ALL.

Was there really any need for this comment whatsoever?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
So you guys told me I can put the pick ups where ever I want?
Note that I am not an English speaker so it's harder for me to understand....sorry...
Quote by Brian__xD
So you guys told me I can put the pick ups where ever I want?
Note that I am not an English speaker so it's harder for me to understand....sorry...

You CAN, put them where you like, but...people do say, that it can be better to position pickups at an imaginary fret position
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jun 7, 2010,
Imaginary fret Position? you mean I need to "add more frets" just in my imagination , ok I understand that , but if I add more imaginary frets in which one to position the pick ups?
it doesn't really matter and won't make a lot of difference from what I understand. keep in mind I don't have any experience with this, I just do a lot of reading.

nodes are basically places where a guitar's harmonics show up. you know how to play a harmonic? just touch the string at the 12th fret while plucking it, then lift up your finger. this sounds the second harmonic, this is a node. any other place where you can get a harmonic is also a node. they can be found by dividing the string in certain ways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_harmonics

but really, placing pickups by the harmonic nodes isn't really that important. for one, it will be on the "right" spot when playing an open string, but when fretting notes it won't be anymore because the division of the string won't be right anymore. it also doesn't really make that big of a difference compared to all the other things you can do to control tone.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jun 8, 2010,
the4thhorseman. Basically what you've got with a guitar string is known as a "standing wave". I won't bore anyone with the science but you've basically on the string you have different points, each with a differing level of vibration. The "node" is where there is no resulting vibration and therefore as you say is good for creating harmonics because there isn't any vibration on that point, you're not interfering with the vibration of the string (if that makes sense?). So i should imagine that it's not such a good idea to place a pickup under where a node is, because there isn't any vibration at that particular point.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
So Can you tell me simply where (in m"m) do I need to make the pick ups holes? How far from the neck and from the bridge....?
Quote by Brian__xD
So Can you tell me simply where (in m"m) do I need to make the pick ups holes? How far from the neck and from the bridge....?

Well no, but.

You want one like this?

So that only has one pickup, I assume you want 1 more, by the neck?

You know where the end of your neck will be.

You know where your bridge will be.

Between those two points will be a gap.

Put the edge of the neck pickup rout (hole), about 8mm from the end of the neck

And about the same (looking at the picture) from the bridge.

As said, this should allow for pickup rings.

How do you intend to do the Ghosted Flames...that is more my area of expertise
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Brian__xD

Find a large, clear picture of a guitar on the internet. Zoom in as far as you can to the body and measure (with a ruler) the distance from the 21, 22 or 24 fret (doesn't matter which) to the centre of the pickup.

Now note down that measurement (let's call it "X") and zoom into the fretboard. Keeping that measurement ("X") in mind, run your ruler up and down the fretboard (on screen) from fret to fret until you find a distance between two frets that also equals "X".

For example, the distance between the first fret and fifth fret might equal "X"... I hope this makes sense.

Now grab a neck (of the same scale as the picture you're using) and measure first to fifth frets. That will be the distance you position (the centre of) your pickup to the 21, 22 or 24th fret (whichever one you measured from at the start).

I'm at work so unable to make up some images, but if you don't understand this then let me know and I'll open up Paint when I get home.
Quote by Skeet UK
Well no, but.

You want one like this?

So that only has one pickup, I assume you want 1 more, by the neck?

You know where the end of your neck will be.

You know where your bridge will be.

Between those two points will be a gap.

Put the edge of the neck pickup rout (hole), about 8mm from the end of the neck

And about the same (looking at the picture) from the bridge.

As said, this should allow for pickup rings.

How do you intend to do the Ghosted Flames...that is more my area of expertise

well I really have no Experience in painting guitars or even building them , that's the reason for all my Questions....maybe I took a Too difficult project , but i'm not going to give up!
I was thinking about sending the body to some one who Deals thos things..
Quote by Brian__xD
well I really have no Experience in painting guitars or even building them , that's the reason for all my Questions....maybe I took a Too difficult project , but i'm not going to give up!
I was thinking about sending the body to some one who Deals thos things..

Nah, the whole point in building your own guitar is to do these things yourself! Sorry if you were put off by my talk of nodes and antinotes and everything. Honestly it's not really a huge deal. Some people think it's a massive thing where the pickups are placed but do what skeet said and measure about 8-10mm away from the bridge and the end of the fretboard for each pickup to give you space for the mounting rings and it'll no doubt sound fine. Actually what i did in my guitar was instead of having a humbucker on the bridge and at the end of the fretboard was to stick another pickup just above the bridge pickup like steve carpenter's guitar. It might be a fun idea if you want to do something a bit different
EH

well if you say that the point is to do it my self , how do you suggest me to paint this really massive paint job?TY
Quote by Brian__xD
well if you say that the point is to do it my self , how do you suggest me to paint this really massive paint job?TY

Do you have access to spray gun and compressor?

What country do you live in?

How about spray cans...can you get them?

An Airbrush would be useful too.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Brian__xD

Well get all the shaping and routing done first then make your way down to the GB&C painting thread, that should be of assistance
EH

Quote by Brian__xD

Practice.

You could always finish the guitar in a solid colour for now and then refinish later on with your desired graphics. You could cut another body from some scrap timber (or just use it as it is) and practice the design on that.
Ok man you hepled me a lot , but I have a lot of Concerns like how long should the horns be...you know , I need it to fit some hard cases.....
and I haven't even started to talk about making the neck....
Have you heard of this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Own-Electric-Guitar/dp/0953104907/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276029203&sr=8-1

I recommend reading that and going through as many of the "build" threads on this forum as you can. Go to YouTube and search for "Ormsby" too, watching his videos always inspires me.

As for the body, if you can't get hold of the guitar you're trying to replicate you'll need to find the dimensions somewhere or work them out for yourself. Use the frets to work out measurements; take your picture and measure the full width and length of the body, compare this measurement against the fretboard and you can get pretty close that way. I'm doing it myself right now for plans for my second build.
Last edited by lostcreation333 at Jun 8, 2010,
I can sit here and watch thos vid's for ever.....I hope I can pull this off cause I don't have any tools for this kind of things....=\
Last edited by Brian__xD at Jun 8, 2010,
You won't get far without any tools. I have the absolute basic power tools (router, jigsaw, belt sander and orbital sander) and I gave up on a neck-thru build because this wasn't enough and I couldn't cut the neck laminates.

That's before you get on to clamps, saws, rasps, files, radius blocks, etc, etc.

I am new to guitar building myself, but I have done research and I'm always looking at what other builders are doing for ideas and inspiration. That book I mentioned before is a good place to start, but there will always be more to learn.

This guitar Draco isn't a good design to begin with either. Go for a regular V for now, or do a Strat-inspired shape and start with some simple carving. See how you feel and then maybe give the Draco a go later on.
Quote by Brian__xD
I can sit here and watch thos vid's for ever.....I hope I can pull this off cause I don't have any tools for this kind of things....=\

Gonna have fun building it then mate!

Check this out.

Sooo...

By putting the 25.5 inch scale length, and 24 frets into the fret calculator, I know that from fret 17 to 24 is 3.177 inches or 80.7mm.

Each of the green markers, is that measurement (80.7mm).

So from there, you can work out how wide your blank needs to be, how long, etc.

Then from there, you can mark out how you want the edges of the body to be, where the points are.

So your body blank, needs to be 565mm long, 405mm wide at the bottom, about 90 at the top.

I hope that helps, took me a while
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by Skeet UK
Gonna have fun building it then mate!

Check this out.

Sooo...

By putting the 25.5 inch scale length, and 24 frets into the fret calculator, I know that from fret 17 to 24 is 3.177 inches or 80.7mm.

Each of the green markers, is that measurement (80.7mm).

So from there, you can work out how wide your blank needs to be, how long, etc.

Then from there, you can mark out how you want the edges of the body to be, where the points are.

I hope that helps, took me a while

^ Glad you did that, Skeet. I was contemplating having a go myself but I was still in awe over how ambitious a build it would be for a first-timer.
Wow man your THE BEST! although I do not understand this marks and things on this one , i'm stupid I need to know just numbers....I thank you again! and again:P.....
Quote by Brian__xD
Wow man your THE BEST! although I do not understand this marks and things on this one , i'm stupid I need to know just numbers....I thank you again! and again:P.....

Skeet has done that... length 565mm x width 403.5mm.
Page 1 of 2