My bass came in the mail today and I discovered it had a 9v battery. I have played guitar for 3 years before and have not had it. After research, I discovered it's used for active pickups and if headphones are put in it's like a little amp. I plug my headphones in and all I get is brief amplification and then nothing. However, when I plugged it into my guitar amp (Only briefly as my bass amp isn't here yet and I know it could damage the speaker) and it played fine. Should I be worried?
No, it doesn't mean you can plug headphones straight into the guitar lol.

As long as it works through the amp, it's fine
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Or a small pre-amp. Like i hav a V2 pocket rocket
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Not exactly true... I have a bass with active pups and I can hear a little bit of sound through headphones plugged directly into the bass. I guess the battery casues a boosted signal which is why there is an active and passive input into the amps, and what you hear through the headphones is what gets supressed by plugging into the active imput... thats what I think though, I'm no expert by far. If you really want to play directly through the headphones try turning the thingy that you plug into the bass a bit, if that doesnt work then I'm terribly sorry you may only be able to play through an amp
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I don't have any problem using an amp. I was just wondering if it was a concern, and it's not, so thanks!
my jazz bass can pickup the buzzing vibrations of my laptops processor from across the room
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E