Stupid newb question here... but I've always played rhythm and just recently got into soloing, or attempting. I understand modes, scales, chords, and other basic theory. I can solo over slow/mid tempo music, any style or genre. But, I mostly play thrash and death metal, but cannot even begin to solo to music that fast paced and with such dissonant changes. I practice speed and various technique exercises, but when it comes down to it, I get lost on how to even begin. I've tried to learn some solos in songs, but most are above my skill level, and I just can't seem to 'get it'. I've been playing about 7 years, with a couple years experience on bass before then. I should be far beyond where I currently am. Any tips or suggestions?
keep on practicing. learn more songs, and be perseverant when you find something hard. watch something like melodic control by marty friedman on google video, and try to analize (with the help of tabs, preferably in GP or PT) how certain songs achieve certain sounds.
hello

n.n
Practice with a metronome. Slow at first, and just gradually work your way up. And learn the techniques of the guys you want to play like.
Slappa tha bass
Quote by Dehumanize93
Stupid newb question here... but I've always played rhythm and just recently got into soloing, or attempting. I understand modes, scales, chords, and other basic theory. I can solo over slow/mid tempo music, any style or genre. But, I mostly play thrash and death metal, but cannot even begin to solo to music that fast paced and with such dissonant changes. I practice speed and various technique exercises, but when it comes down to it, I get lost on how to even begin. I've tried to learn some solos in songs, but most are above my skill level, and I just can't seem to 'get it'. I've been playing about 7 years, with a couple years experience on bass before then. I should be far beyond where I currently am. Any tips or suggestions?

Depends who you want to sound like, the variety of styles covered in thrash and death metal is huge. Anyone in particular?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.