Sauce is Fox News, but what can you do. They can't slant this one.

Researchers have developed a vaccine that 100% prevented tumors in mice that were genetically enhanced "specifically bred" to be prone to them (whatever that means). Similarly-bred mice injected with placebos all developed tumors. I don't know where the breast cancer connection comes in, maybe one of you more biologically-leaning Pitmonkeys can clear that up, but this development is tits on a whale, I think.

Get to discussing it.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Last edited by SteveHouse at Jun 1, 2010,
Genetically "enhanced" to get tumors...
?!

Just step yourself outside, and look up at the stars above.

Science:Oh yeah.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by Judge Holden
I like breasts.

What else is there to discuss?

..about how much more I like them?

Sounds good but it isn't as great as it sounds. They cured 1 type of cancer that was genetically produced. They knew exactly what the problem was because they created it. All cancers have varied factors both genetic and environmental. This means next to nothing.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
America... fuck yeah.

Even if it increases chances for women to beat breast cancer it's still an amazing discovery. It's undoubtedly going to cost an assload though...
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Maybe I was too pessimistic. Maybe this shows that vaccines could make a difference one day.
But other than that it is worthless. And even if it worked and was fully developed this wouldn't help anyone beat anything only possibly prevent.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
Last edited by SilentFactor at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by SilentFactor
Sounds good but it isn't as great as it sounds. They cured 1 type of cancer that was genetically produced. They knew exactly what the problem was because they created it. All cancers have varied factors both genetic and environmental. This means next to nothing.

I knew there had to be a catch coming. Doesn't say they caused the tumors, though, just increased certain risk factors. This vaccine works by targeting a protein that marks the cancer, so how exactly is it next to nothing? (Might sound condescending, but I honestly don't know enough about this kind of thing and am asking in good faith. )

SHEdit: I'd argue that prevention is as important as, if not more important than, treatment. Why not stop the problem before it happens?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SilentFactor
Maybe I was too pessimistic. Maybe this shows that vaccines could make a difference one day.
But other than that it is worthless. And even if it worked and was fully developed this wouldn't help anyone beat anything only possibly prevent.

I'd say stopping cancer from being formed is a damn good accomplishment.
what? fox would be the best news source...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
I misrepresented this, there's no genetic modification that they just say exists:
specifically bred to be prone to breast cancer.

Editing OP.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Fox News
Vaccine only available to conservative Republicans. Followers of Obama burn in hell.

What the ****!?!?

Right?
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Sauce?

Seriously though, it's worked in mice, there is still a long way to go before we have a vaccine for breast cancer. Such a vaccine would be amazing but something like this doesn't mean we can start celebrating just yet. And in an interview I heard on the radio the researcher admitted to being an optimist, so I would take those ideas about vaccines for all cancers with a pinch of salt.

One thing I don't like about the media is their need to make scientific advances into "big breakthrough moments". In the past, such sudden breakthroughs that saved countless lives happened (eg. Semmelweis and hand washing) but nowadays medical science isn't really like that. Instead, research is slow process that takes many years to produce small advances.

However, the media can't make stories out of conitnuing research so instead stories like this get more attention and more hype than perhaps they really deserve and the idea of sudden breakthroughs is re-inforced in the minds of the public.
Quote by 12345abcd3
Sauce?

....are you joking?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I don't think I know what you mean then

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I think they mean an actual medical journal instead of the most biased network in bias-land.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by Doctor Wu
What the ****!?!?

daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by SteveHouse
I don't think I know what you mean then
I was just pointing out that you wrote "Sauce" instead of "Source"...

But now my mind is full of thoughts of breasts and sauce
Quote by sg255
I think they mean an actual medical journal instead of the most biased network in bias-land.

Use the Google for fuck's sake. This isn't the only source, it's just the first one I found.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Doctor Wu
..about how much more I like them?

I have them. So I win.

Ne me quitte pas mon chere.
Humbug! Science is unproven nonsense, was there a cancer vaccine formulated in the holy Bible? I think not.
Quote by Doctor Wu
Genetically "enhanced" to get tumors...
?!

Well it has long been know that certain genes can make you more prone to cancer, obviously they just gave the mice these, to make the testing more conclusive.
Quote by Z_cup_boy
Humbug! Science is unproven nonsense, was there a cancer vaccine formulated in the holy Bible? I think not.

The Bible never says Jesus wasn't a swashbuckling pirate.

Christianity just got a lot more awesome

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
The Bible never says Jesus wasn't a swashbuckling pirate.

Christianity just got a lot more awesome

Photographic evidence he is.