My band is in the process of writing original material and one of my duties as the vocalist is to handle the lyrics as well as vocal parts and melodies. Here's the thing: I can write lyrics just fine, but I'm always stuck on creating a vocal line. The instrumentals are pretty well-settled, I just need to fit in the final piece with vocals. I'm not all too sure what my range is, but my vocal style is in the vein of Chino Moreno, Jesse Hasek, Pete Loeffler, and Maynard James Keenan, if you need an idea of what I sound like; in short, I'm most comfortable in upper registers but can still go reasonably low. Any suggestions on how I get vocal sections down?
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Well from what I've seen, if you write down random ass words someone, somewhere will find a hidden meaning in it.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Well from what I've seen, if you write down random ass words someone, somewhere will find a hidden meaning in it.

Yes, but I'm talking about the music behind it. What I'm trying to figure out is, how does one go about creating the singing melodies?
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
I find it hard - very hard - to start with music and try to write a song that fits it. It's kinda like having a designer make a really uniquely sized/shaped outfit, and then trying to find someone to fit into it. It doesn't work for me.

I start with the melody and try to get some words to go along with it as I go. Once I've got that starting to happen, I write music to go with it. It's easier to find a model that you want to work with and then design exciting outfits for them.

I use this analogy because the main part of the song IS the melody and lyrics. The music is just accompaniment - or dressing.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.