Hey guys

Is there a way of using guitar rig 4 just with my laptop and my guitar?

Just: electric guitar -> microphone entrance

is there?
"Google Images is useless. I used it once to search for a photo of farm equipment and it showed me twenty thousand pictures of horse dicks."
You need some type of audio interface. Entry level models are fairly inexpensive. If you want to get serious about recording you're going to have to spend a bit more.

I believe the site is www.tweakheadz.com, but you will find all sorts of useful information from beginner to pro there.
I think I read somewhere about using just the line-in and no external interface
"Google Images is useless. I used it once to search for a photo of farm equipment and it showed me twenty thousand pictures of horse dicks."
if you have access to a mac pc or macbook, GarageBand has a built in processor for electric guitar that lets you select amps and effects. Its fun to tool around with, though no where near professional quality. To use it you'll just need the adapter for the 1/4in cable to plug into the 1/8in mic socket, about 2 bucks at radio shack.
Quote by lockwolf
It will sound like shit.

But is it possible?
Quote by x_gormless_x
if you have access to a mac pc or macbook, GarageBand has a built in processor for electric guitar that lets you select amps and effects. Its fun to tool around with, though no where near professional quality. To use it you'll just need the adapter for the 1/4in cable to plug into the 1/8in mic socket, about 2 bucks at radio shack.

Can't I download GarageBand to my pc?
I'm sure there are compatible versions, i've never looked though. If you do just line in to the computer with no processor interface, it will work but sound terrible. I straightlined into my comp just using Audacity once....never again haha
Quote by EddyPT
Can't I download GarageBand to my pc?

No.

You will need an audio interface otherwise it will sound like some kind of screeching devil-beast. Alesis makes USB-1/4" cables that run at like $50, but for like $50 more you can get an interface from Native Instruments that is meant for Guitar Rig.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by BrokenDstring
No.

You will need an audio interface otherwise it will sound like some kind of screeching devil-beast. Alesis makes USB-1/4" cables that run at like $50, but for like $50 more you can get an interface from Native Instruments that is meant for Guitar Rig.

+1
I ran direct to my LINE IN (not Mic In but an actual LINE IN) on my g5 Imac for a long time and it actually sounded pretty good. The PPC Imacs have a small preamp built-in - I don't believe the newer Intel ones do and the laptops don't either. When they first debuted Garageband at MacWorld on an Imac G5 they weren't using an Interface. I went on to using an Interface and the sound improved - although not a great deal... On my PC it sounded like crap. If you have a 1st gen or 2nd gen G5 you'll be able to get some really good sounds without using any interface - but they're the only machines I know of (Apple or Windows PC) that will sound good going directly in with just a 1/4" -> 1/8" mini adapter. We've discussed this at length in the Apple recording Forums (Garageband forums and Logic forums) and people with the newer machines and the laptops claim they absolutely needed an interface. I use on now for the BEST sound.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by BrokenDstring
No.

The cables are shit. It sounds exactly like a mic port but without risking damaging the mic port.

Just buy this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX-with-POD-Farm?sku=250006
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Well I'll probably get the Line 6 thing with the mic entrance... too bad :c