I've recently noticed a sharp dropoff in my maximum downpicking speed lately. For some reason I can't play Master of Puppets nearly as accurately as I could last week. Is this just a bad week or is this a problem?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by hootie37
Has your technique changed?

Not that I'm aware of.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
It could be that your not warmed up enough. I know that when I'm doing speed studies and I just start out going fast, I usually suck. If i take the time to slow things down a bit and make sure each note sounds clear, then when I start playing fast again, my technique is a lot cleaner.
^Do what he says. And if that doesn't help, try taking a short break, it doesn't sound like a good idea but it can really help.
Slappa tha bass
Most likely it's just a couple of bad days. You could be tired, not as focused as other days, etc, etc. +1 to what almosthuman said about making sure you're warmed up, and hootie37 about taking a day off to recharge the batteries.
If it hasn't passed naturally within a week or two I would start looking to see if maybe a technique gremlin has snuck into your playing without you noticing.
shred up and down the chromatic scale in E with a metronome, increase the tempo until you feel okay with your picking speed
Quote by Mixedpotatoes
shred up and down the chromatic scale in E with a metronome, increase the tempo until you feel okay with your picking speed

This is definitely a good warm up exercise. Although I would suggest doing the modified chromatic scale because its a more efficient warm up scale. And I usually do it in A. But E could work just fine.
My downpicking speed changes depending on how I'm feeling, if I'm tired, im slow, if I just ate alot of sugar then I can downpick faster. Warm up first too