Page 1 of 2
Thread title says it all..

What would be the best metal guitar for a 1000$ range..

I looked over some ESPs, Jacksons but really don't know what are the good ones,etc.

I was thinking about a KH602?

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
Do you want something with a Floyd Rose system? Neck preferences? Body shapes? Bands you like the sound of?
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Kay you're going to need more information than just "metal guitar"

Because as long as a guitar has humbuckers it can play metal.
From the one idea I can assume you want 24 frets, a floyd, thin neck, and EMGs.
But it's better to actually let us know.

Also the Kirk Hammet signature guitars are some of the biggest wastes of money I've ever seen. For $100 less you can get the ESP LTD M-1000 which actually has a better build quality than the KH.
- EMGs
- Not necesserly floyd rose
- 24 fret if possible would be nice
- V shaped or normal (KH Esp) shape...

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Quote by siverstorm
Do you care about bolt-on to set thru necks?

What is exactly the difference (sorry I'm noob about guitar specs)

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
Quote by ArnaudJ

set thru are more expensive because it's all one wood. I think better tone and sustain.

Also if you're switching between tunings don't get a floyd rose system
I've been shopping for a guitar, and although I've decided one ordering a custom, I came really close to purchasing a PRS SE Torero. It's beautiful, plays unbelievably smooth, and really has some depth to it's tone. It's specs are perfect for 'extreme' metal. It's price sits right around 1000, and can be found easily at Guitar Center or other popular stores/websites. I'm honestly even considering purchasing one just to have something to play while I'm waiting for the custom to be built. It's got a mahogany body and 25.5" scale through-neck, with a maple top and ebony fretboard. Floyd Rose tremelo and EMG 85/81 pups. It's perfect for metal, unless you prefer an alder body.
Bolt on is like your strat. Where the neck is bolted to the body. There are ones like the block of wood on the strat and then there are others like the Ibanez RG's which are like smooth as hell and you don't even feel the bolt.

Set thru the neck is glued into the body instead of bolted.

Neckthru the neck is part of the body and glued together along the body.

Personally I prefer neckthru.
id recomend the jacksons, kelly or randy rhoads, maybe warrior one. they're pretty hardcore
Ok thanks guys!!

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
Starting from $1000 and going down.
You can also find these guitars at Steve's music store. Which i believe is in Montreal.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG2550E-RG-Prestige-Series-Electric-Guitar?sku=514210

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-RR5-Rhoads-Electric-Guitar?sku=520329

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C1-FR-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=423900

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKDMQ-Dinky-Quilt-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=583323

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-MH1000-Electric-Guitar-with-EMGs?sku=512954

There's a little taste.

But you need to actually go to a shop and try these out.
You may hate Ibanez paper thin necks. OR you may hate Schecter's fat necks.
If you play any clean guitar parts I strongly recommend you look at some high quality passive pickups instead of EMGs.
You may not be so crazy about EMGs after a while.
Quote by ArnaudJ

Basically, thru-necks sound better (increased sustain, tone, and high-fret comfort) than set-necks, and bolt-on necks should just be avoided completely IMO.

Quote by Metallica1554

This is important. If you want a Floyd Rose, you need to have the guitar adjusted for the tuning you're going to play in. I play in C# standard with a Floyd Rose because I've had it adjusted, but if I want to play in E standard, I use another guitar. It's not expensive to have everything adjusted, and it can easily be done yourself, but if you constantly change tunings you will come across intonation and balance problems.
Quote by Dehumanize93
Basically, thru-necks sound better (increased sustain, tone, and high-fret comfort) than set-necks, and bolt-on necks should just be avoided completely IMO.

This is important. If you want a Floyd Rose, you need to have the guitar adjusted for the tuning you're going to play in. I play in C# standard with a Floyd Rose because I've had it adjusted, but if I want to play in E standard, I use another guitar. It's not expensive to have everything adjusted, and it can easily be done yourself, but if you constantly change tunings you will come across intonation and balance problems.

I agree with the second point. But your first

So by that logic all of the people who use bolt-on guitars are noobs or something? Steve Vai, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, point made.
If a bolt-on neck is done professionally and properly they can and will have more sustain than neckthrus and setnecks.

At the TS's price point any neck joint is fair game.
Quote by siverstorm
Starting from $1000 and going down.
You can also find these guitars at Steve's music store. Which i believe is in Montreal.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG2550E-RG-Prestige-Series-Electric-Guitar?sku=514210

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-RR5-Rhoads-Electric-Guitar?sku=520329

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C1-FR-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=423900

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKDMQ-Dinky-Quilt-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=583323

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-MH1000-Electric-Guitar-with-EMGs?sku=512954

There's a little taste.

But you need to actually go to a shop and try these out.
You may hate Ibanez paper thin necks. OR you may hate Schecter's fat necks.
If you play any clean guitar parts I strongly recommend you look at some high quality passive pickups instead of EMGs.
You may not be so crazy about EMGs after a while.

Cool thanks alot dude, very helpfull!
I'm going to work this summer and try these out in August

Thanks ALOT!

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
And dude try to ask the salesman for some opinions too.

Some can be incredibly helpful while others can be just plain retarded.
I assume the ones at Steve's in Montreal are good because the guys in Toronto are awesome.
Quote by siverstorm
I agree with the second point. But your first

So by that logic all of the people who use bolt-on guitars are noobs or something? Steve Vai, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, point made.
If a bolt-on neck is done professionally and properly they can and will have more sustain than neckthrus and setnecks.

At the TS's price point any neck joint is fair game.

It's just personal preference really, but neck-through necks are common for most heavy-metal guitarists, and finding a quality bolt-on for under 1000 may not be easy.
Quote by siverstorm
And dude try to ask the salesman for some opinions too.

Some can be incredibly helpful while others can be just plain retarded.
I assume the ones at Steve's in Montreal are good because the guys in Toronto are awesome.

Yeah they are sometimes very nice, or very bad.. honestly lol.
There always like 100 people so sometimes it's hard to get a good service... But anyways I'll go to Steve during the week at like 2pm to be sure ^^

Aahah thanks

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
Quote by Dehumanize93
It's just personal preference really, but neck-through necks are common for most heavy-metal guitarists, and finding a quality bolt-on for under 1000 may not be easy.

Ibanez RG and Jackson Dinky lol. They were meant to be heavy-metal guitars.

I just think it's bad to state opinions with false information or no information to back it up.

Eitherway I'mma shut up now because I'm not really in the mood to get into an argument on the interwebz.
As someone suggested before, the ESP 1000 series are all great for metal. I have a 2009 EC-1000 and an MH-1000, both fixed bridge, and they are perfect for metal types. I'd suggest either for a metal guitarist at around $1000 budget.
a Schecter Hellraiser or Blackjack mop the floor with the LTD 1000s IMO
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by evmac
a Schecter Hellraiser or Blackjack mop the floor with the LTD 1000s IMO

Care to explain?
Please?

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
Hellraiser c-1fr, it will play metal great and just about anything else
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
I got one of these a while back and think it's a hell of a metal guitar for under $1000. Neckthrough, OFR maple or ebony board, mahogany body, etc. No EMG's, but I'm not an EMG fan anyway. I have mine in B standard and it sounds brutal.

ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at Jun 2, 2010,
Looks cool

I have another question, if I get a FR with the guitar, do I really need to tune it to one single tuning? Because I'm usually in standard and I don't know alot of tuning, honestly... + usually when I play songs they aren't in B or open E... i.e. Metallica stuff,etc.

Thanks in advance and thanks for posting ideas.. I'm looking at everything

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
Floyd Rose = tune it, lock it, leave it. To switch tunings you need to change string guage, adjust the trem springs to match the tension of the strings, and in most cases adjust the truss rod and intonation. For an experienced Floyd guy it's about an hour of work. To someone who is not it can be hours upon hours of headaches. If you play Floyds it's best to have more than one guitar for various tunings.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by Metallica1554
set thru are more expensive because it's all one wood. I think better tone and sustain.

actually I don't think there was a difference between sound, but I could be wrong.

Quote by yellowv
Floyd Rose = tune it, lock it, leave it. To switch tunings you need to change string guage, adjust the trem springs to match the tension of the strings, and in most cases adjust the truss rod and intonation. For an experienced Floyd guy it's about an hour of work. To someone who is not it can be hours upon hours of headaches. If you play Floyds it's best to have more than one guitar for various tunings.

I have a floyd rose on my warlock and its not that bad. Heres what I do though.

Floyds have this little screw or something on the ends you have to turn to change the tuning however the more you turn it the tighter it gets like a real screw, its hard to explain, what I do is tune it so its in between coming all the way up and all the way down so that I can still drop tune it, or make the strings higher.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by yellowv

Hmm.. Cool.. lol
Considering I suck at thinkering guitars.. I'm not sure I'm going to take a floyd.. but I don't know... + it's a PITA to change the strings I guess.. oh well!

:\

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
if you have a floyd, it can operate as a floyd, or a stop bridge (or vintage trem, only usable in 1 direction if you get it) by blocking the trem from the cavity... that way you could change tunings easily like this set up
EG.
E standard (not blocked, trem 100% usable)
anything else (blocked, trem 50% usable)

if you get it.

Jonathan

EDIT: to the post above,

I have a floyd, and changing the strings (assuming you wont change gauge or try setting the bridge at that time) isnt that hard/time consuming/PITA. what I do is I just take the trem bar up (push the arm down) and put like a knife or thickly folded paper to hold the trem, then just remove the strings whatever way you do it. Then place the new ones whatever way you do that aswell. Then just start tuning them/stretch them and so on. Leave the strings about half a step or something below the standard that they will be and then gently release the blockage. The strings will then be at the tension they are. then just tune them up, stretch, tune etc...
Last edited by fc89konkari at Jun 2, 2010,
Cool thanks alot for the info!!
I plan on buying a jackson.. they look freakin' hawt and brootalz!

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
Quote by Arterial
Schecter Hellraiser C-1.

I hate the inlays, sorry I'm never going to buy this guitar.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
hmm. Imma post my usual response to these kinds of threads...
Have a look at:
Ibanez Prestiges
Ibanez RG
Jackson Dinkys
Jackson Soloists
ESP Horizons
LTD MH-1000
Caparison

Used you could possibly find them for that price.
Quote by Arterial
hmm. Imma post my usual response to these kinds of threads...
Have a look at:
Ibanez Prestiges
Ibanez RG
Jackson Dinkys
Jackson Soloists
ESP Horizons
LTD MH-1000
Caparison

Used you could possibly find them for that price.

Cool thanks..!!

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
bc rich stealth pro. 2010 model. it has awesoem hardware. price is 1500$. its being sold for 900$ now. go get it!
Quote by unreplica
bc rich stealth pro. 2010 model. it has awesoem hardware. price is 1500$. its being sold for 900$ now. go get it!

Not very my style of shape / guitar ... thanks

:\

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by strat0blaster
Page 1 of 2