Page 1 of 4
i'm an engineer (well, studying to become one). i'm sure every college has "general education" requirements... i'm taking an "American cultures" class right now focused on urban geography, and i'm thinking, "what kind of useless idiot studies this useless bullshit for a life?"

i'm exaggerating, because in this gray-scale world nothing is completely useless. having said that, i will proceed to continue saying that the humanities are, on the whole, a waste of public education funds.

the societal worth of a worker in the sciences far exceeds that of a worker who has an extensive knowledge of shakespeare or asian-american history (if you disagree with me on this particular point, you are wrong). it's one thing to pursue some discipline of the humanities for personal interest, which i personally cannot fathom but will tolerate. but it is another thing to use public funds to teach such things.

in the past year, my school decided to spend their extra funding on general education classes, which makes my blood boil. people pay exorbitant amounts of money for good education, which i do not think includes the trivial general education classes that only reinforce what should have been adequately hammered into place in high school.

thoughts? rebuttals?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
the societal worth of a worker in the sciences far exceeds that of a worker who has an extensive knowledge of shakespeare or asian-american history (if you disagree with me on this particular point, you are wrong)

Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

the societal worth of a worker in the sciences far exceeds that of a worker who has an extensive knowledge of shakespeare or asian-american history (if you disagree with me on this particular point, you are wrong). it's one thing to pursue some discipline of the humanities for personal interest, which i personally cannot fathom but will tolerate. but it is another thing to use public funds to teach such things.

Funnily enough we need people to study them in order to preserve them and build upon them.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

(if you disagree with me on this particular point, you are wrong).

Well I think I can see why you're not fitting in with anything outside of engineering.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Funnily enough we need people to study them in order to preserve them and build upon them.

Bugger off with your psych degree

However I think we can all agree that my old housemate's degree in dance is, well... preposterous. A MINICAB DRIVER even took the piss out of her.
Elitism
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
in the past year, my school decided to spend their extra funding on general education classes, which makes my blood boil. people pay exorbitant amounts of money for good education, which i do not think includes the trivial general education classes that only reinforce what should have been adequately hammered into place in high school.

thoughts? rebuttals?
Arts and Humanities have a calming effect. I suggest taking some classes.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Because life is measurable in truth and falsities, and the world is black and white.
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Wow you sound like a really ignorant wannabe engineer.
How can you design for a population you don't understand?
How can you create for a society you feel you are above?
How can you understand who your work impacts?
How can you avoid recreating the Edsel?
How can you live in ignorance?
And how dare you belittle Shakespeare and history?
You're not an engineering student.
You're an egotistical prick.
Yours truly,
Jackal58 Bse.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Bugger off with your psych degree

Pssh, you're just jealous because I can be an elitist scientist and a verbose hippy
However I think we can all agree that my old housemate's degree in dance is, well... preposterous. A MINICAB DRIVER even took the piss out of her.

Her boyfriend probably likes it

Seriously though, if you value dance as an art form you probably don't think it's preposterous.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Jackal58
Yours truly,
Jackal58 Bse.

That makes up for the rape-missing list.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Jackal58
Yours truly,
Jackal58 Bse.

And how.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Pssh, you're just jealous because I can be an elitist scientist and a verbose hippy

If only psychology was a real science

>.>
<.<

Her boyfriend probably likes it

I liked it for a while

Seriously though, if you value dance as an art form you probably don't think it's preposterous.

In all fairness, we only took the piss.

Until after she told us she only had to do next to no assessments. Cow.
Quote by Jackal58
New nickname for TS: Edsel.
Seems about right.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
TS, let me quote one of your blogs, cleverly entitled " I Hate Girls "

And I will continue to quietly hate every one of you by default until you are able to convince me that you deserve different. Otherwise, I will have no pity on you for any reason whatsoever. I will regard the hot ones as sex objects and the ugly ones as worthless scum. You are all in the negative, and you are all going to have to do shit just to get to zero. Because I've learned that one can never be too careful about these things.

Filthy swine.

You have asked for our thoughts on the matter. Personally, i think that it would not hurt you to take a class or two in philosophy. In my philosophy class, we learned a great deal about this thing called evil. I think you would be very interested in it. It could possibly even help you gain some perspective on your own self. Self discovery is afterall, a very wonderful thing. And if studying evil can shed some light on pathetic shadows of men, then i do belevie it is very worthy of public funding. Take care.
Last edited by paranoideyes at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If only psychology was a real science

>.>
<.<

Pfft, we've got big noisy machines and lab coats and everything

I liked it for a while

In all fairness, we only took the piss.

Until after she told us she only had to do next to no assessments. Cow

Sounds like the "Introduction to Massage" class that the physios take. No exams and topless classes, bastards.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
What Jackal said. Plus, I'd like to point out that a lot of people take those courses to increase their chances at getting in to law school. The societal worth of a lawyer is definately not lesser when compared to an engineer.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Pfft, we've got big noisy machines and lab coats and everything

Sounds like the "Introduction to Massage" class that the physios take. No exams and topless classes, bastards.

I work on big noisy machines that would blow your lab coat into the next county.
Lab coats are for pussies and Irishmen.
Pffffttttt.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Last edited by Jackal58 at Jun 1, 2010,
I'm an engineering major also, but I wouldn't say humanities classes are useless. Like Ur all $h1t said we need people to know about the past in order to plan for our future. Furthermore, without humanities courses we wouldn't be able to train teachers, who in turn teach you these subjects during middle and high school. If there were no english, foreign language, history and composition classes there is no way people could grow into well-rounded adults capable of drawing from a wealth of different sources of information in order to be successful. So while they may not be directly affecting us as much as engineering, physics, etc, the humanities arguably keep our society together by keeping the education system afloat. Plus people use knowledge in those courses in order to become lawyers and a wealth of other professions that are essential to this country. That's how I see it, anyway.

And our engineering degrees can't be that useful if they can't even tell us how magnets work!
Last edited by iro-bot31 at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by Jackal58
I work on big noisy machines that would blow your lab coat into the next county.
Pffffttttt.

Lab coats are actually the shit.

I had to wear one for uni and at my workplace during uni.

I fixed watches. At a place called The Watch Lab. It was cheesy and dull as f*ck most of the time, but at least I got to wear a labcoat more in one week than most people do in their whole lives.

Quote by Holy Katana
As an English major, I'm fully prepared to rip your head off and sacrifice it to James Joyce right now.

I used to live with a guy called James Joyce.

He was a twat. I considered purchasing Ulysses in hardback and beating him with his namesake.
Quote by Jackal58
Pffffttttt.

My machines have Fuckin' magnets.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Holy Katana
As an English major, I'm fully prepared to rip your head off and sacrifice it to James Joyce right now.

James Joyce went to my Uni. IIRC he hated it, but they still call buildings after him
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Should we report this? I think he may have been trolling us... He hasn't replied back once.

And the thread is going way off topic ^
Quote by Ur all $h1t
My machines have Fuckin' magnets.

My machines have high bypass turbofans.
Your magnets don't stand a chance.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Well said, Jackal.

Humanities are our way of being human. Do you measure societal value according to personal production value and net worth?

The freedoms you enjoy came from the kinds of people who studied humanities, and developed alongside them. If we never celebrated culture and had ideas, humans would be no better off than apes. Humanities are good because they make you think.

But if you want to crunch numbers your whole life thats your decision.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
Who the hell is Mcjagger?

Oh my god, do you mean Mick Jagger?

haha
Quote by Jackal58
My machines have high bypass turbofans.
Your magnets don't stand a chance.

*gets bigger magnets*
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
i'm not hating on all humanities, i think some are more useless than others. and i love art. i just think it's preposterous to make art a study.

i'm arguing against forcing people to take humanities. i can say in good faith that it has not made me a better person or anything like that. i have yet to experience a truly enlightening history course, for example.

i'm also arguing against people studying it as a living. sure, you'll be all cultured and shit, but you were probably serving your own interests first. either that, or you didn't know what you wanted or couldn't do anything else.

sorry for offending anyone, i'm just a random joe on the internet so don't mind me.

and i'm not trolling! i honestly feel something of this nature. i might have kicked it up a notch to entertain myself.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i'm not hating on all humanities, i think some are more useless than others. and i love art. i just think it's preposterous to make art a study.

i'm arguing against forcing people to take humanities. i can say in good faith that it has not made me a better person or anything like that.

i'm also arguing against people studying it as a living. sure, you'll be all cultured and shit, but you were probably serving your own interests first. either that, or you didn't know what you wanted or couldn't do anything else.

sorry for offending anyone, i'm just a random joe on the internet so don't mind me.

really

Nearly everyone in this thread has already told you why it is an important living.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

The same can be said of sciences mate, replace cultured with elitist or boring at dinner parties or whatever other arbitrary adjective you'd like.

The humanities have contributed massive amounts to the world, just not stuff that you yourself value.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
The same can be said of sciences mate, replace cultured with elitist or boring at dinner parties or whatever other arbitrary adjective you'd like.

The humanities have contributed massive amounts to the world, just not stuff that you yourself value.

Well said, it's easy to say something is useless when you value things by arbitrary standards
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

i'm arguing against forcing people to take humanities. i can say in good faith that it has not made me a better person or anything like that.

and i'm not trolling! i honestly feel something of this nature. i might have kicked it up a notch to entertain myself.

More useless?

Don't you have to have a somewhat rounded education?

People can do what they want. Who said they can't serve their own interests first? You want to become an engineer, because it can help people, and that took priority over what you actually wanted to do? The rest of that paragraph is pretty elitist.

And don't use the "it's the internet, it doesn't matter" argument.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Jun 1, 2010,
You do realize that music is art, right? Imagine a world without art. Writing is art, television and movies are art, hell, there are tons of things that you could call art.

Beyond entertainment, art is a reflection and a satire of society. Art of all media has been instrumental in several social changes and advancements.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

i'm arguing against forcing people to take humanities. i can say in good faith that it has not made me a better person or anything like that. i have yet to experience a truly enlightening history course, for example.

Anything taking away some ignorance from you (or anyone) is good. Anything at all.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by Ur all $h1t

*gets bigger magnets*

Watches them get accelerated to 2500 mph. With a counterclockwise twist.

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

I'm sure nobody is offended. But the Humanities enlighten.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
1) I know people who want to study Law, History, Economics and Social Anthropology in american uni's. They complain about why they have to do core requirements classes like maths and science.

2) Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's useless. It's not centered around you. The course allows everyone to experience a bit of everything before deciding.

3) If you don't like core requirements, go study in the UK. Here in The Kingdom, everything you do in uni is directly course-related.

Quote by iro-bot31

And our engineering degrees can't be that useful if they can't even tell us how magnets work!

Funny that you say that, cos I had an exam on electric and magnetic fields last week. Knowing how fucking magnets work was on the syllabus (although I didn't get a question about it on the exam)
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

i'm also arguing against people studying it as a living. sure, you'll be all cultured and shit, but you were probably serving your own interests first.

Perhaps they want to make a living of what they enjoy?You're a moron.
Page 1 of 4