Poll: If you could choose for there to be an afterlife, what would you choose?
Poll Options
View poll results: If you could choose for there to be an afterlife, what would you choose?
I already believe in an afterlife
46 35%
I would not want an afterlife to exist
18 14%
I would want it to depend on how you spent your life
24 18%
I would want a neutral afterlife
23 18%
Other?
20 15%
Voters: 131.
Page 1 of 2
A (relatively) recent poll showed that a large number of UGers do not believe in an afterlife and are "content" with the idea that after their death they will simply cease to exist.

If you could choose for there to be an afterlife, what would it be like?

Would its quality depend on your actions in life?
Would it be independent of your current life?
Would it be the same for everyone?
Would it be like a dream, or like a continuation of life?

Poll up shortly
The hindu afterlife would be cool. the whole living many lives, then becoming one with the force thing.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Do I believe in an afterlife? Logically, no. I do not. I accept the fact that there is just nothingness after death.

Would I like for there to be an afterlife? Sure. Who doesn't.

What do you mean by a neutral afterlife, TS?

EDIT: I'd take reincarnation over an afterlife though.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Voted for "I would want it to depend on how you spent your life", but I dont mean in a overly moral sense. More like "if you are truly content with your life, then you will be content in the afterlife".
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
i think that when we die, we are reborn as a different being, be it a horse or human or... platypus. thats just what i think
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
No afterlife, that just gives people an excuse to corrupt other peoples views and causes all the problems associated with religion. Ever heard of a Buddhist extremist

EDIT: what i mean is, believing in an afterlife, particularly one decided on how you live your life means people can be easily convinced to destroy other lives - see: the crusades, the inquisition, witch burnings, muslim suicide bombers etc etc.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Last edited by metallicafan616 at Jun 1, 2010,
probably one where you aren't "judged" by your past life.

edit: to the neutral comment.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Sol9989
probably one where you aren't "judged" by your past life.

that wouldn't be much incentive to be rational would it
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by doomded
Voted for "I would want it to depend on how you spent your life", but I dont mean in a overly moral sense. More like "if you are truly content with your life, then you will be content in the afterlife".

That's tough on the ol' tortured soul
Quote by JayT44

One that isn't heaven or hell. It has good and bad times, like the life you live now. On the whole, it is neutral.

I forgot to include reincarnation in the poll...
Quote by metallicafan616
No afterlife, that just gives people an excuse to corrupt other peoples views and causes all the problems associated with religion. Ever heard of a Buddhist extremist?

umm, buddhists are, by definition, against extremism. Finding a "Middle way" and all that. It's not just the lack of belief in the afterlife.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Short answer, none of us exist, we are all just the one bundle of conciousness. Scientists have proof that we are just a hologram. Brb with source.

Edit: Here's one article I could find, http://www.crystalinks.com/holographic.html
MonsterBeast Is Fat And Ugly!
Last edited by MyDesertRose at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by JayT44
Do I believe in an afterlife? Logically, no. I do not. I accept the fact that there is just nothingness after death.

Would I like for there to be an afterlife? Sure. Who doesn't.

EDIT: I'd take reincarnation over an afterlife though.

logically? there are no logical studies on the outcomes after death

edit: i would choose a metaphysical world to be reincarnated into though whether it be heaven or some other dimension of space and time
Last edited by qwaj at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by iantheman
umm, buddhists are, by definition, against extremism. Finding a "Middle way" and all that. It's not just the lack of belief in the afterlife.

But if they believed in having to live to a certain standard, which they didn't set themselves, to get to 'heaven' would they not be easier to convince to become extremists?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by kalnoky7
That's tough on the ol' tortured soul

I didnt say you had to be happy with the way you lived, just content. Its better than some outside power deciding if you lived "justly" or not, IMO.
Quote by Butt Rayge

I personally think it would be awesome if an afterlife were to exist much like the Ancient Egyptians believed. Where you take a perilous journey through the Underworld to the Hall of Two Truths so your good deeds can be weighed up against your shortcomings.
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
Quote by doomded
Its better than some outside power deciding if you lived "justly" or not, IMO.

Agreed there
Quote by bass-man9712
that wouldn't be much incentive to be rational would it

Why can't suffering and empathy be incentive enough to do good in this world? We're all in this shit together; even if we leave religion out of the picture entirely, I don't see why the hell we can't realize this and band together to make the best of it.

Maybe I'm an idealist but I guess it just makes sense to me.

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Why can't suffering and empathy be incentive enough to do good in this world? We're all in this shit together; even if we leave religion out of the picture entirely, I don't see why the hell we can't realize this and band together to make the best of it.

Maybe I'm an idealist but I guess it just makes sense to me.

(Invalid img)

THATS WHAT IM TALKIN BOUT!!!
Quote by Butt Rayge

I'd like to go to Valhalla

Eating, drinking, and killing

sounds great
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
If an afterlife would exist, I would imagine that there would be no objective moral code to determine whether somebody lived a "good" or "bad" life. Since morals are subjective, I think it would simply be if that person lived up to their own moral code.

That being said, I don't believe in an afterlife.
I don't believe the afterlife should be affected on the choices I've made in an entirely different plane of existence. So Other?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I don't want an afterlife.

I can't comprehend eternal happiness, it just doesn't happen for me.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
I'd want some form of reincarnation if I could chose for there to be an afterlife.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by StratoCatser
I don't want an afterlife.

I can't comprehend eternal happiness, it just doesn't happen for me.

I know, eh? Eventually happiness would cease to make you, well, happy. It's because of the lows that the highs are so good man.
Yes I do believe in the afterlife. I would rather think that I will go to a paradise type place when I die rather than rot in the ground

I also like Lost's interpretation of purgatory/the afterlife
I think after I've become old and decrepit the last thing I would want would be to do it all over again.

.. so no afterlife.
He is useless on top of the ground; he ought to be under it, inspiring the cabbages
I would like to die in glorious battle in the name of true metal, so that my undying soul will transcend this mortal plane to the Elysian Fields, where I shall drink mead with the the gods of heavy metal and vanquish all that is false metal.

Or, more seriously, I would like my spirit to be free so I could go anywhere in the Universe, at any point in time, learning everything about everything. I would be free of all negative emotions and shit, I would just be happy, flying around in space watching alien planets and watching stars explode and other cool stuff, and eventually becoming omniscient.

After that, I would be pretty pored pretty soon, I guess.

What I actually believe is that when I die, my consciousness will simply cease to be. Nothing more.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate

What I actually believe is that when I die, my consciousness will simply cease to be. Nothing more.

As an atheist, this as well.

It's gonna be great.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman

It's gonna be great.

I agree, and I'm not being sarcastic.
Quote by dudetheman

It's gonna be great.

It's like when you fart and leave a room.

You are gone, yet your memory lingers on..
I just chose the first one cause I really don't care to think that much about it
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
i wouldnt want an after life.

I'd rather stay in heaven and bang bitches all day long
lol:
Quote by Metallizach
your not alone. I am a chronic procrasturbator (meaning I put off things I should be doing, and fill that time masturbating)

DAVID GILMOUR IS GOD
I wouldn't want an afterlife, especially if it's like this life. This world is ****ed up as it is, and afterlife would be the same.
Quote by sk8nalmost1394
I wouldn't want an afterlife, especially if it's like this life. This world is ****ed up as it is, and afterlife would be the same.

The whole point is that you can have an afterlife* which isn't as fucked as this life.

*Only in this thread.
I want a neutral afterlife, this way I can meet Hitler and kick him in the nuts repeatedly without risk of him sending someone to kill me, because I'm already dead.
I don't get how people can choose reincarnation. I mean you don't have any memories of your previous life and you don't know that you have been reincarnated
Page 1 of 2