Hey, i'm buying some new hardware for my les paul and just wondered what you guys thought. Bare in mind that when i play live i do throw my guitar around quite alot and i need it too stay in tune, cause unlike Hendrix, i can't pull off the whole 'out-of-tune' thing.

1) Which do you think are better, the Klusion-style Tonepros or Gotoh Locking Tuners?

2) Are Graphite saddle pieces for the bridge worth the extra £20?

3) Is there any point in replacing the Tailpiece?

Thanks
Tone pros are owned and made by Gotoh, so theyre kinda the same, but a bit different in quality, What problems are you having with the bridge, If It aint broke, dont fix it. A good graphite / bone / tusq nut would do wonders for your tuning stability. Changing your tailpiece only changes the sound of your guitar,
But all in all, I'd get it set up properly and invest in a good quality nut before anything else.

EDIT: Also, have you wrapped the string properly? Theres great instructions in the stickys at the top of the page.

"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Last edited by TomG10-7 at Jun 1, 2010,
I'm not having problems as such, but i'm replacing my bridge and Tuners anyways. My bridge is missing Saddles pieces, screws and springs, and quite frankly, i'm not sure how my guitar is still intontated as well as it is.
If your LP is a Gibson (or PRS Single cut, MIJ ESP Eclipse, etc), or it is an Epiphone LP made in the last two and a half (maybe three) years, then there's no point changing hardware; all those guitars already have top-quality hardware, anything you buy can only be equal and a waste of money at best or quite likely a downgrade.

If your guitar is an older Epi or another LP copy, I would say:
1) They're the same. Locking tuners on a guitar with a vibrato bridge are rather pointless, simply restringing the guitar properly will keep the string secure anyway. Grab some 18:1 Grover tuners.
2) I've never heard of graphite saddles - they'd wear out very quickly. If you mean the Graph Tech String Saver saddles though, yes, those are really worth the money. They have really helped the sustain of my Strat (even though I keep the bridge blocked anyway) and they're molded well, so you know the strings are passing through smoothly. For £20-£30 a set, they're a steel. Howveer I would really recommend instead that you get a Graph Tech ResoMax bridge system instead, if your guitar can take one. It's the best Tune-O-Matic style bridge on the market. I'm in the process of replacing the bridges on all my ToM guitars with one and let me tell you, the difference really is incredible. I just wish they were properly locking instead of simply magnetically locking, as an actual phsyical locking system on the posts would improve sustain even further. Oh well. Still well worth the money, and they can come with String Saver saddles installed.
3) If you're replacing it with a ResoMax one, yes. If you're replacing it with any standard one, no. Its effect on tone and sustain is absolutely minimal. So long as it is a solid bar (some stopbars are hollow), there is no need to change it.

Frankly, none of those will make a massive improvement to your guitar's tone, sustain, tuning stability or playability. Much better upgrades would be a Graph Tech graphite compound nut and full size CTS or Bourns control pots. Your guitar probably has a ceramic disc capacitor too, it may be wise to change that for a orange drop cap instead. Most LP copies have bad pickup selectors as well, so that would be the next thing I would change. When upgarding Les Pauls nearly everyone looks at the bridge and the tuners first, but really even on the worst LP copies, those are the last things that need changing.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Okay Thanks. I think i'll still replace the bridge, but i'll leave the tuners. The Pots and Switch was also on my list too . Sorry for being a noob, but what's the 'Disc capacitor'?
I have sperzel locking tuners and they are beyond wonderful for tuning stability. Haven't tried any other locking tuners.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
my sg came with planet waves self trim locking tuners. i'd say they're just okay. sometimes they stay in tune good if i'm in standard, but low tunings not as well as it should. I tune to D Standard a lot and they don't seem to handle it that well. I think the only cool thing about them is that they cut the end of the string off for you, but thats really about it. i'm considering throwing gibson deluxe tuners back on it
Quote by Zakk_Lp
Okay Thanks. I think i'll still replace the bridge, but i'll leave the tuners. The Pots and Switch was also on my list too . Sorry for being a noob, but what's the 'Disc capacitor'?

Disc cap probably refers to a ceramic capacitor. (Ceramic being the material used between the caps two plates) Ceramic is not the best for Audio frequencies so changing it to one of the same value but with different material construction like Mylar, Polyester or in the old days paper wrapped foil should be btter for tone.
Moving on.....
Just to clarify, it's not a 'disc capacitor'. It's a capacitor in the form of a ceramic disc. but yeah, like KenG said, there are various kinds and nearly any other capacitor is going to give you a better tone than the ceramic ones that most guitars come stock with.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
also there really is no need at all to change the bridge or tailpiece if nothing is wrong with it. why mess up a good thing?