Hi guys,
I'm pretty new here so be nice if I spit out stuff that doesn't exist

So, yesterday my guitar teacher was showing me how one chord could be used in various positions of the guitar. Barre chords and what not. From there he was showing me something where you could take the notes of one chord in various positions and use the individual notes to play a scale, or something at least like that.

Now, problem is I can't remember a damn thing he said to do. So...does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about (or at least trying to)?

I do remember one thing that may or may not be of help...

Using an F-based barre chord up on the 7th fret...I think...and picking the notes out: D string 9th fret, G string 8th, B string 7th and 9th, then E string 7th and back up again. From there I know I moved up a couple frets and did a different construction...any thoughts?

Thanks.
He is talking about playing arpeggios. Knowing different chord shapes and how to find the notes in a chord comes in very handy when composing/improvising.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
As said, arpeggios.

Seeing that you are playing B major you could play C#m, D#m, EM, F#M, G#m or A#m(b5); assuming you're in the key of B major.

Go learn about diatonic harmony, it'll help you pick up the concepts in your lessons faster.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Jun 1, 2010,
When it boils down to it chords and scales are exactly the same thing, just arranged differently. Play some intervals simultaneously and it's a chord, play them sequentially and it's a scale. The chords of a key contain the same notes as the scale they're derived from, therefore if you map them both out on the fretboard you're going to get the exact same pattern twice.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Chords are constructed from scales, not the other way around. Learn your scales, then learn triad chords and why the notes sound good together...once you get that, you're own your way to a good foundation in music theory.