Page 1 of 2
Ok, Be ready for a major noob question.

My amp is a Line 6 Spider II 75 watt (stfu u line 6 haters, its a good amp!!)
But ive been playing in a band and my amp isnt getting loud enough over the bass, other guitarist, and my drummer. I was looking into half stacks, and i know how a half stack are a head and a cab. Is there some way i can hook my amp up to a cab? would it work? or do u have to have a head in order for it to work?

and if u have any other ideas that would be great, thx
If you have a combo then it should be loud enough. I imagine you could use it as a head and plug it into a cab though, I'm not too certain.
Gear:

Early 90's B.C. Rich STIII N.J. Series, Red Sparkle
1988 Charvel Model 4, Firecrackle - Retired
2003-04s Ibanez RG1570 Prestige, Gray Nickel
Line 6 Spidervalve HD100 MK1 with Marshall VS412
You don't need a half stack to be loud, you just need power, many combo amps go just as loud if not louder than half stacks, you should look into those too. Having a half stack definatly dosn't make you any cooler.

Those 75watt Spiders do get pretty loud, how big are the places that you are playing? Are your amps being miced? Maybe you could ask your bassist/other guitarist to turn their amps down a bit.

There probably is a way to hook your Spider up to a cab, though that won't actually make you much louder at all. Also it won't sound very good.

Maybe you could look at some tube amps that are 30watts +.

EDIT : your amp is a combo amp, it means that the amp and speakers are all together in one box. A head is just the amp on it's own in a box, they don't work without cabs. A cab is just speakers in a box.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Last edited by FuzzLove at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by lukas1324
what exactly is a combo? would my amp serve as a combo amp?

yes, your spider is a combo amp. a combo is, simply put, a head and a cabinet together in one. for the original question, there should be an external speaker/line out or something like that on the amp somewhere. a cabinet could be hooked up via that
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
im playing in a big open bar. my guiatrist tried that but then my drummer was to loud over all of us. why wouldnt hooking up the amp to the cab get me much louder? not only am i trying to get louder, im trying to get a better tone.
Because cabs don't make you louder (they merely disperse sound better) and it's not a good amp.

Save some cash and buy a better amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
look, for the music i play it works for me, nd im more broke than a crack *****.
can't you mic it and run it through the PA?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I won't make you much louder because you're not actually putting any more power into your setup, you're just making the power you have already (which isn't very much) go through more speakers, which will make you sound more 'full' or spacious, for lack of better words. It won't really make a noticable differnce to the volume. Anyway, no matter what you do with that amp, extension cab or not, you wont get a good tone. Spiders are OK for home practice, not for gigd though.

Better speakers will improve your tone very slighty while you're using that amp, although it's definatly not worth it. You should put that money towards buying a proper amp.

If you have no money to buy a new amp, your best bet is to get the soundman to mic up your amp and put it through the PA like someone mentioned above. If you are playing somwhere where they do things properly, they should have a PA and a soundman.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
All depends on how much money you have and what sort of music you play.
i play heavy metal and screamo. high gain stuff. like metallica, slipknot, the devil wears prada, korn, lamb of god. and i needa keep it around 200
40w Tube head will make you louder than a 75 watt SS amp.

If you are really short on cash there are ways around buying a new amp though like others have said mic it into a PA system. Or setup a mic and buy a PA speaker just for you.

Or the really nuts. Buy a big crap amp that isn't worth shit (crate) and take your line out and plug it into that amp and set it loud and clean.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
If you can sell your spider for a bit, and save a little you could get something decent used like a XXX 60 watt combo or even the 40 watt combo will be good.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
i have a big peavey and in my room and a crate. would that help? and also how would i do the PA system?
put a microphone from the pa in front of the amp.
Quote by lukas1324
i have a big peavey and in my room and a crate. would that help? and also how would i do the PA system?

Okay what are the peavey's and crate's power values? Also does your amp have something like a record out jack? I know line 6 spider 3's do but I'm not sure about 2's

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

You have a Peavey amp and a Crate amp in your room? Why arn't you using those? :O

If you only have 200 (dollars I assume?) then you can't really get a decent amp for that. You should save a bit of money, then sell your Spider, untill you've got about $500. Then you could look at getting a nice used amp.

All of the bands that you mentioned have pretty differnt tones and even vary within themselves. Maybe you should post youtube clips of certain songs that have the tone you want if you would like suggestions for amps.

As for as the PA thing goes, buying your own PA system will cost you a lot of money, money that you could to buy an amp instead. But if you play at somewhere that has a PA or if you rent a PA or something, you set up a microphone on a stand, placed infront of the speaker cone in your cab (microphone placement is an art within it's self).. Definatly don't put the mic infront of the actual amp head. That should be the sound man's job anyway.
Quote by lukas1324
it says 120 watt. and yes it does, a direct out jack.

What amp are you talking about here?
Are you scooping your mids? I'm just assuming so since you use a spider and play metal (I know, sue me).

Just trying to help though, because if you are scooping your mids, turn them up a bit and see how well you cut through.
you would need a microphone, microphone cable, and a mic boom stand.
Quote by MrFndr
Are you scooping your mids? I'm just assuming so since you use a spider and play metal (I know, sue me).

Just trying to help though, because if you are scooping your mids, turn them up a bit and see how well you cut through.

^ That's a very good point, take notice of that.

What model is the Peavey? Why arn't you using that instead of the Spider?!

EDIT: Turn, up your mids!!! Why would you have no mids? Where's the logic in that?
Quote by lukas1324
it says 120 watt. and yes it does, a direct out jack.

Allright, I don't know whether the peavey or the crate gets louder but you'll have to check that out yourself.

To use those amps to make you louder you can take a guitar cable plug one end into the line out jack on your line 6 and plug it into the jack for your guitar on either the peavey or the crate. Turn the 2nd amp up loud and and set it to as clean as you possibly can.

What you are doing is taking the signal from your line 6 and using it for the line in on the 2nd amp. You set the 2nd amp to super clean to keep its pre-amp section from distorting. The EQ on the 2nd amp will change the tone some you might try set all the EQ knobs to 10 but if that sounds off then just play with it till its what you want.

The gain knob on the 2nd amp will now be a 2nd gain stage which you might get a kick out of playing with that idea.

Now you are to the 2nd amps larger power amp section which will take your power above and beyond what it was before.

I actually figured this out when the power tubes went out on my Mesa, I took the line out and put it into my old line 6 combo until I got replacements1

Hope this works for you!!!

Also what they are saying is true by not having ANY mids you are reducing your frequency range therefore lowering the effective volume. Just using some mids will pick it up alot.

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

Last edited by SilentFactor at Jun 1, 2010,
Why do metal guitarist with bad amps do that? Where/when did that all come about? Baffles me!

Edit: Don't set all the nobs on the second amp to 10! Surely you'd want to set them all nuetral?!
ok ill turn up my mix. and cuz the peavy down have any dis on it. its a Peavye Solo seires special. thats all it says.
Quote by FuzzLove
Why do metal guitarist with bad amps do that? Where/when did that all come about? Baffles me!

Edit: Don't set all the nobs on the second amp to 10! Surely you'd want to set them all nuetral?!

Diff amps can work differently with the EQ to not have the eq mess with it he'll probably need either 10 or 5 depending on how the 2nd amp works.

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

Quote by lukas1324
ok ill turn up my mix. and cuz the peavy down have any dis on it. its a Peavye Solo seires special. thats all it says.

A Peavey Solo Series Special has a dirty channel on it. That's where the distortion is. You should DEFINATLY be using that amp instead of your Spider.

I can't work out weather you're trolling or not.
why would i be using my peavey? the gain on it is bairly anthing.
Quote by FuzzLove
A Peavey Solo Series Special has a dirty channel on it. That's where the distortion is. You should DEFINATLY be using that amp instead of your Spider.

I can't work out weather you're trolling or not.

at this stage imma say trolling tbh, i mean if someone is gigging they must know some of this blisteringly obvious stuff right...right guys?
Quote by lukas1324
why would i be using my peavey? the gain on it is bairly anthing.

put a distortion pedal in front of the peavey on the clean channel, eq like this, bass 12-2 oclock, mids 3oclockish high 12 oclock.

that should get u through the mix.
Page 1 of 2