Hi,

I have been having this problem infrequently over the last couple of years... just randomly - not while i'm playing, my wrist starts to hurt whenever I twist it.
I'm scared it might be carpal tunnel!

This is the only video i have of me playing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILlZZgvcreQ Is my technique ok here? Does it look like i'm straining anything, and how can i improve?

Thanks,
AJ
stop jerkin it
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
Quote by DKMfreak410
stop jerkin it

BASTARD! I came here with the intention of saying "You could try fapping less", but now that's shot.

That being said..
Easy guys, were not in The Pit anymore

TS, which wrist hurts? Your picking or fretting one?
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Quote by van01010100
Try shortening your strap so you don't have to bend your wrist so much.

exactly what i was thinking
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
IMO you will play alot better with the guitar higher, and you can keep your hand and wrist straight...as far as carpel tunnel, it usually starts out with numbness in the ring and pinky finger.

for the wrist pain...you can usually get some decent wrist braces at a pharmacy like CVS or wallgreens etc. i got carpel tunnel from bending my hand against my chest when i would sleep, wearing a wrist brace helped the carpel tunnel, you can do things like that to prevent carpel tunnel from getting worse, its when the burning and severe numbness kicks in that you end up needing the painless surgery to correct it.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
IMO you will play alot better with the guitar higher, and you can keep your hand and wrist straight...as far as carpel tunnel, it usually starts out with numbness in the ring and pinky finger.

for the wrist pain...you can usually get some decent wrist braces at a pharmacy like CVS or wallgreens etc. i got carpel tunnel from bending my hand against my chest when i would sleep, wearing a wrist brace helped the carpel tunnel, you can do things like that to prevent carpel tunnel from getting worse, its when the burning and severe numbness kicks in that you end up needing the painless surgery to correct it.

carpal tunnel syndrome causes numbness in the the thumb, 1st and 2nd fingers and sometimes half the ring finger but not the pinky. numbness in the 3rd and 4th fingers is cubital tunnel syndrome which is entrapment of the unlnar nerve which runs across the elbow.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Ok good, it's not carpal tunnel then... i have no numbness in any of my fingers.

It is my left (fretting) wrist that hurts, never when I actually play, just when I twist it. My wrist seems a bit stiff too, i'll try playing with a higher strap, or maybe sitting down... that may help a bit!
Quote by ankthebank
Ok good, it's not carpal tunnel then... i have no numbness in any of my fingers.

It is my left (fretting) wrist that hurts, never when I actually play, just when I twist it. My wrist seems a bit stiff too, i'll try playing with a higher strap, or maybe sitting down... that may help a bit!

also...something i learned from one of freepowers videos

there should be no difference in sitting or standing position.

with your guitar proped on your left leg instead of your right seems to be closer to standing up. (with your strap higher) also helps keep your wrist straight.

your right shoulder also should not have to be raised...staying relaxed is important.

keep these things in mind and see what position works best for you