Title says it, right now I have a $150 Mackie Onyx Satellite. Which I like but I'm wondering if I were to spent a little more <$500, would my quality of recordings increase greatly? Or not spending enough to notice a difference yet?
Thanks & Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
You may notice a little bit, you may notice nothing at all. A lot depends on the signal chain as well.

From what I've heard and read, you'll hear a small difference between most preamps and your interface if you're using the typical home studio gear. Enough to justify the $500+ price? Thats up to you.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
From what ive read recording quality does not increase much from higher end preamps. In order to get any kind of quality increase worth the money you have to pay big boy prices, and in that case its not really worth it to most hobbiest like us lol. Money better spend on an amazing mic, you'll get a bigger quality boost for your money.

But this is purely based on what ive read about mic preamps and reviews
My Music
-Leave a rating, comment with link will C4C-
I think the biggest difference is if you go from a really cheap mixer like less than $50 to a more respectable one, like your Mackie or something in that range, then you'll see a pretty big difference, from what you have now in order to hear a big difference its gonna probably cost a lot more to get to that next level (this is just in my experience) I agree with Swayver, in that if your looking to improve and you have a decent Mackie which have great preamps for the money, you'd be much better off spending the money on a nicer mic, also don't discount how much your recordings can improve by messing around with and changing the acoustics in your recording enviroment like sound proofing, and moving things around etc... and this cost little to no money.

And Lastly, if your running your Mackie into a PC and doing digital recording, then another way you'll see a big improvement is upgrading your recording sound card (interface) I've noticed a pretty big difference from the cheapest M audio cards to the ones that cost a little more but aren't too expensive like $200 to $300 range for interfaces. I had a real nice setup, and had to sell a lot of my gear, right now I'm using a super cheap beringer mixer, but its still sounding pretty decent because the interface is a good one.
Quote by mcguinnjustin
I agree with Swayver, in that if your looking to improve and you have a decent Mackie

I've never liked the quality on any Mackie stuff period. They sound slightly better than the cheap junk for twice the price. Even then, the stuff thats the same price as the Mackie stuff is still better than it. Even then, Mackie doesn't make an Audio Interface which will make a huge difference here. Even then, judging from your post, you have no clue what you're talking about.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I guess I'll just keep saving.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by lockwolf
I've never liked the quality on any Mackie stuff period. They sound slightly better than the cheap junk for twice the price. Even then, the stuff thats the same price as the Mackie stuff is still better than it. Even then, Mackie doesn't make an Audio Interface which will make a huge difference here. Even then, judging from your post, you have no clue what you're talking about.

I never said Mackie made an interface, whether Mackie is good or not is subjective, its more about he won't see a big jump from that quality without spending a lot more most likely. Maybe he could find another brand for in the same price range that sounds better, I'm not sure. But I'm not sure why you think my post would indicate I don't know what I'm talking about.... even then?