I'm getting Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Pickup, will the sound be different if I put it in the neck, rather than the bridge? Or if I get two SD Invaders, one for bridge and one for neck, would the two invaders sound different? HELP
Ibanez IJX121
Quote by PunkGuitaristx
I'm getting Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Pickup, will the sound be different if I put it in the neck, rather than the bridge? Or if I get two SD Invaders, one for bridge and one for neck, would the two invaders sound different? HELP

yes, some pickups are meant to be put in certain positions for a reason. i find that neck pickups sound much better for cleans and soloing, because they have a more "open" sound to them. bridge pickups are usually higher gain and tighter. i wouldnt recommend the invader in the neck though... or in either position actually. take a look at the alternative 8, it has just has much output, if not more, without the muddiness.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Neck pickups usually have less output which will make them sound different. The pearly gates set is going to sound much nicer than the Invaders tbh.

BTW, Invaders are bridge only. You could put 2 into a guitar but, I wouldn't.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

If you take one pickup and move it around, it will sound different just depending on its position. It will pick up different harmonics of different amplitudes along the string, depending on where its placed.

That said, some manufacturers offer pickups as "neck" and "bridge" versions. The "bridge" version is generally higher output. It needs to be more sensitive because the string doesn't vibrate as much near the bridge, and the fundamental harmonic isn't very strong compared to the overtones. At the neck position, this isn't a problem.
Quote by sashki
If you take one pickup and move it around, it will sound different just depending on its position. It will pick up different harmonics of different amplitudes along the string, depending on where its placed.

That said, some manufacturers offer pickups as "neck" and "bridge" versions. The "bridge" version is generally higher output. It needs to be more sensitive because the string doesn't vibrate as much near the bridge, and the fundamental harmonic isn't very strong compared to the overtones. At the neck position, this isn't a problem.

^ this.

Also, I've never played through a guitar with Invaders in it, but I've heard quite a few bad things about them.

Pearly Gates on the other hand are very nice pick-ups. Get those if you like those.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Yeah, but what does a SD Pearl Gates good for? I'm thinking of pairing them up both for bridge and neck. What kind of tones can you get out of it?
Ibanez IJX121