hey guys ive been playing mostly rythym guitar for the first year of my playng experience, mostly metal (metallica, slayer megadeth, lamb of god, but also some classic rock like floyd nd zeppelin), but i find myself very bored with what i have been playing as of late. I want to start playing leads to songs, but i find the lead lines for the aforementioned bands to be WAY above my current skill level. Do any of you guys have suggestions for high energy, intermediate level music that is challenging yet not overly difficult to play? It could be rock, punk, or metal, nd must b in standard or drop D tune (my pups dont handle heavy tunings too well). I'm simply looking for new ideas; i'd love your input
Avenged Sevenfold has some riffs that are fun, not to challenging. try some black label society, iron maiden, judas priest, pantera. and fun stuff like that
Well if you like Metallica some easy solos are Nothing Else Matters, Enter Sandman, One, and a lot of the Load and Reload stuff. I wouldnt recommend attempting Slayer solos haha, you might want to wait another year for those.

A few bands you might like are
Volbeat (very easy but fun to play, drop D too)
Trivium (A little harder but also really fun)
Pantera
Black Tide
Avenged Sevenfold
Iron Maiden

If you want a lot of bands you might like go to www.last.fm and type in an artist and it will bring up some similar bands. Then listin to their stuff to see how hard it sounds.
pantera is fun always but dimes leads are gnarly alot of mustaines solos arent to bad she wolf is easy
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")98% of teenagers in America are currently bringing sexy back. Put this in your signature if you are one of the 2% where sexy never left.
honestly, although this isn't what you asked for, but I would strongly suggest you try and learn classical music. Although it isn't considered very heavy or cool, it will give you the foundation you need to be a kick ass guitarist
Quote by guitarocker100
I wouldnt recommend attempting Slayer solos haha, you might want to wait another year for those.

Quoted for truth... kinda.

Slayer solo's are actually really easy half the time.

Here's the secret.

Learn how to tremolo pick... fast.

And when you learn their solo's, you only need to know the basic note patterns to play them. They aren't terribly difficult.

Difficult would be anything by Dying Fetus, Children of Bodom, etc.

Honestly, I think you'd be better off if you'd start of with Slayer.

Reborn would be an easy Slayer solo to cover. Hell, I learned it when I sucked, tbh.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
Quote by guitarocker100
Isnt it kinda sad how 3 of the avatars so far on this thread are of Metallica?

Just thought I would point that out.

including yours
Quote by megano28
including yours

Haha ya I know. I like my avatar, thats why I have it.

Quoted for truth... kinda.

Slayer solo's are actually really easy half the time.

Here's the secret.

Learn how to tremolo pick... fast.

And when you learn their solo's, you only need to know the basic note patterns to play them. They aren't terribly difficult.

Difficult would be anything by Dying Fetus, Children of Bodom, etc.

Honestly, I think you'd be better off if you'd start of with Slayer.

Reborn would be an easy Slayer solo to cover. Hell, I learned it when I sucked, tbh.

Ya thats a good point. They are pretty easy once you learn the style, but for someone thats been playng one year I would imagine it being pretty hard. Jeff doesn't use scales when he solos too so just improvising over the solo wont work as well.
thanks a lot for the suggestions they r very helpful! @megnano28 im very intrigued by ur classical music suggestion do u have any suggestions as to what to start off with?
Some Necrophagist should get you started if your looking for some easy leads

Ok, that was a joke, Seriously, go for some Nile

Ok, again jokes :P , maybe something by Dissection? some of their leads are not too hard, and a lot of the time pretty short, IMO

Try these

Dissection - Starless Aeon
Dissection - The Somberlain

If you'd like more, message me, chances are, i'll not look at this thread again
Quote by ShredHead396
Some Necrophagist should get you started if your looking for some easy leads

Ok, that was a joke, Seriously, go for some Nile

Ok, again jokes :P

AHAHAHA.

YOU ARE HILARIOUS.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Sabbath, Black era Metallica, and Soundgarden might be worth looking into.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
this thread is funny
Guy one "blah blah blah dissection"
Guy two "do you ever stop talking about dissection?"

dunno why it was funny I just found it comical

so have you guys heard of that band Dissection?

I really need to sleep.
Is this international pointless thread week or something? Take this shite somewhere else.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I think this John character has a severe mental deficiency of some sort.

That or he's 11 years old.
Philosophy > Life