Hey guys...ive been playing guitar for just over a year and have shied away from acoustic-y playing / music theory (!)

Looking to get into it a bit more now by 'acoustifying' some songs I know to play at open mic nights...just wondering about Chord theory: once you have your basic chords down (maj / min ABCDEFG)...can you 'pretty much' do a basic version of anything? All add/7th/whateverthehell chords can be added in / substituted later to 'improve' the song, but it doesnt necessarily 'need' it?

Am I right in thinking this? Or am I being thick...you decide!
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
in todays 20th century harmony, chromatacism is found everywhere and secondary dominats are used with out being resolved.. in classical days the person to use a power chord or parallel octaves or anything i mentioned earlier with out resolution would get hung..

using add chords and 7th have strict rules in classical harmony.. today not so much

for example a dominant chord in its final inversion
EX. C- E- G -Bb (with a Bb in the bass) MUST resolve to a first Inversion 1 chord soo.
V42 or 3rd inversion Bb E G C would go straigt to I6 or A F C.. kinda difficult to explain with out a staff to draw on

you have to learn to hear chords and know what they are.. theory is just an alpahbet..
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
they are there to make certain emphasys or to create tension, much like the difference between Maj/min but a little less subtle. for example, Hey Jude has mostly major chords during the first oart, but right before the bridge, there is a 7th chord, that creates some tension before it.
music is based in creating and relieving tension. using these chords is a way of doing so
hello

n.n
if you can just hear it theres no need for theory.. theory just explains why? but the how? and who? are a million times more important
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
Quote by PuppetMaster91
Looking to get into it a bit more now by 'acoustifying' some songs I know to play at open mic nights...just wondering about Chord theory: once you have your basic chords down (maj / min ABCDEFG)...can you 'pretty much' do a basic version of anything? All add/7th/whateverthehell chords can be added in / substituted later to 'improve' the song, but it doesnt necessarily 'need' it?

I'm not sure I understand. If you want to learn a song that requires a 7th, or an "add" chord, why wouldn't you just try and learn that chord? Just because a chord isn't a "standard" major or minor chord doesn't necessarily make it difficult. eg. A7 is easier to finger than a B chord.

If you are struggling with a more complicated chord, then start looking at alternatives. Your ear will then be the ultimate guide on whether the substituted chord sounds acceptable enough.
use jazz shape chords !!
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity