Ok lately I've been feeling my skills plateau-ing again, which ordinarily wouldn't be much of a problem, since you eventually get through it. It's just that lately it's been happening more often, and my old remedy (Learning a nice easy 3 chord song of some kind) doesn't seem to be cutting it this time. I'm just looking for suggestions from other musicians about what they do in this sort of situation. Any wisdom you can offer is much appreciated!
Putting the guitar down to study theory won't break a plateau, lol. That is the most idiotic thing I've ever read, no offense.

Plateaus are usually the result of over learning... giving the brain time to assimilate its surroundings, bla bla bla. The other plateau is when you become complacent in your playing. Another plateau is just a mental block. Here's the easy solution, listen to music. Put on some Van Halen and listen to the mofo kick some ass. But really listen to what he is doing. Don't try learn the licks... just listen. You can do it with any artist. I just like the rock revolutionary god.

After you have absorbed, you should feel the inclination to play and create. Learning other peoples songs is ok... making your own challenges the plateau many people find themselves on.

I hope this helps.
Quote by evolucian
Putting the guitar down to study theory won't break a plateau.

this. study your theory, but don't put the guitar down. theory is damn near useless if you don't apply it. actually, it's not even damn near useless - if you don't apply it, it is useless.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
figure out what you want to be able to do with your guitar and then design a plan towards that, if you're not sure on how to get there then come back here and ask but at the very least you need to know what you want to do.

when i feel my technique reaching a roadblock i usually dial everything back and work on things i think i've mastered, knock a few bpm's off the metronome etc. most times i'll work back up to my plateau and smash right through it
Quote by Der_Kaiser
Ok lately I've been feeling my skills plateau-ing again, which ordinarily wouldn't be much of a problem, since you eventually get through it. It's just that lately it's been happening more often, and my old remedy (Learning a nice easy 3 chord song of some kind) doesn't seem to be cutting it this time. I'm just looking for suggestions from other musicians about what they do in this sort of situation. Any wisdom you can offer is much appreciated!

if you play your guitar to enjoy it, rather than to use it as a "how good am I" gauge..... you'll never worry about plateauing. just keep playing, keep learning new things, keep enjoying it....... keep getting better over time. It happens naturally if you let it.

its an art, not a sport.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
if you play your guitar to enjoy it, rather than to use it as a "how good am I" gauge..... you'll never worry about plateauing. just keep playing, keep learning new things, keep enjoying it....... keep getting better over time. It happens naturally if you let it.

its an art, not a sport.

yes...its much like breathing...the plateau being the breathing "out" ...

all learning processes have this quality built in...time to digest and infuse what we have learned and apply it...

enjoy the "rest"...re-examin your goals...the "whats next" will appear without having to look for it...

play well

wolf
Quote by evolucian
Putting the guitar down to study theory won't break a plateau, lol. That is the most idiotic thing I've ever read, no offense.
Don't be a dick. He has a point. Sure it won't break your plateau. It's just a way to learn and improve while in a plateau.

It's actually an amazing idea. You don't need to feel inspired to learn theory, and it's an excellent thing to learn, so why not learn it when you are uninspired?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Don't be a dick. He has a point. Sure it won't break your plateau. It's just a way to learn and improve while in a plateau.

It's actually an amazing idea. You don't need to feel inspired to learn theory, and it's an excellent thing to learn, so why not learn it when you are uninspired?

I can't help being a dick, its natural to me, and if you read correctly and not through your ass as usual... you would have seen that I did say "no offense"... and I don't think its an amazing idea either. If I'm personally on a plateau, not a fk am I gonna open up a theory book just to get by. I'd rather listen to peoples playing.... any instrument... and absorb. Its what I do. May not work for the next guy, like the theory angle won't work for me.

Because in my post there was the other thing of the knowledge sinking in and stuff... so why fill it with more when it needs to breathe and chill?

Plateaus also aren't what its made out to be of a flat period in life. I actually find them to be my most creative period. Not in learning new things... but in putting to new use what I already have learned... and perhaps a little more soul exploration across the neck.

So calling me a dick won't change my ideas or anything... rethink of strategy perhaps?
Last edited by evolucian at Jun 2, 2010,
lol, i hate how people think they can say anything to anyone and then say 'no offense', if no offense was meant then why open your mouth?

no offense
Quote by evolucian
I can't help being a dick, its natural to me,
Well maybe you should do something about it. It won't help people's respect for you.

Quote by evolucian
and if you read correctly and not through your ass as usual... you would have seen that I did say "no offense"...
Because that obviously makes it no longer offensive

Quote by evolucian
and I don't think its an amazing idea either.
So be it. You can say that without being a dick. It will come across a lot smoother if you try to say it kindly.

Quote by evolucian
If I'm personally on a plateau, not a fk am I gonna open up a theory book just to get by. I'd rather listen to peoples playing.... any instrument... and absorb. Its what I do. May not work for the next guy, like the theory angle won't work for me.
Cool, you're entitled to your opinion. Just don't call the next guy's opinion "the most idiotic thing [you've] ever read" because it doesn't align with your opinion. There's a reason it's called an opinion.

Quote by evolucian
So calling me a dick won't change my ideas or anything... rethink of strategy perhaps?
I'm not trying to "change your ideas" or anything. In fact, I think your ideas are fine, just don't be a dick about it.

Quote by Markus85
lol, i hate how people think they can say anything to anyone and then say 'no offense', if no offense was meant then why open your mouth?

no offense
Thank you! Someone with some sense.

You're ugly. No offense though. See how that's no longer offensive? Oh wait.

And yes, I'm FULL of sarcasm. Particularly when people do things which irritate me.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by Der_Kaiser

i would just not worry about it so much. just enjoy playing and play as much as you can.if you really feel like your playing is in a rut, try something else. maybe play without a pick, take up slide guitar, try a new style, work on something else you dont normally do, etc...
I'd say work on different things, for example, if you are working on scales, and you are not getting any better, switch to chords, or something completely different, and you can always go back to scales again later.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Wow thanks for all the replies guys. I have been thinking of maybe taking up slide guitar, so that might be worth a look, or maybe start writing my own material. I guess for the most part it's just about keeping yourself from getting discouraged.

I can definitely understand the "overlearning" standpoint. I have been sort of working overtime on it for the past few months since I started doing open mic night and realized that I needed more songs to play. Maybe it's time to slow it down for a bit.
work on some music that you find fun.
forget your technique for a while, then, when you feel ready pick technique and theory back up and see how much you've improved.
in what way did you plateau? generally when you get stuck on one thing it means you need to work on something else. I've got to point where I was working on my technique and then found I couldn't get any better, other times my songwriting ability suddenly stopped getting better, same with learning theory, etc. usually when I kinda get stuck on one thing I'll move on to something else, or focus on working on everything more equally and I'll be fine again pretty soon.
Play with other people, write your own stuff - just put everything you've learnt so far into practice. Evo's right that plateaus are often because your brain needs a bit of time to assimilate what you've just learnt.
Quote by food1010
Well maybe you should do something about it. It won't help people's respect for you.

Because that obviously makes it no longer offensive

So be it. You can say that without being a dick. It will come across a lot smoother if you try to say it kindly.

Cool, you're entitled to your opinion. Just don't call the next guy's opinion "the most idiotic thing [you've] ever read" because it doesn't align with your opinion. There's a reason it's called an opinion.

I'm not trying to "change your ideas" or anything. In fact, I think your ideas are fine, just don't be a dick about it.

And yes, I'm FULL of sarcasm. Particularly when people do things which irritate me.

I don't need your respect food, cos quite frankly, you don't have mine either. But it is you who is claiming I was a dick for saying something... yet mine was an opinion too... was it not? And I guess yours is too, but you are going against what you believe in (ie: telling me not to be a dick, by being a dick about it )

I'm not aware of you having much kindness either. But... you do read through your ass though... this is in relation to another thread though so I can't bring it here, perhaps in PM though.

Anyway, thread died and he has his answer...
Quote by evolucian
I don't need your respect food, cos quite frankly, you don't have mine either. But it is you who is claiming I was a dick for saying something... yet mine was an opinion too... was it not? And I guess yours is too, but you are going against what you believe in (ie: telling me not to be a dick, by being a dick about it )

I'm not aware of you having much kindness either. But... you do read through your ass though... this is in relation to another thread though so I can't bring it here, perhaps in PM though.

Anyway, thread died and he has his answer...

i'm honestly beginning to think that, here on MT, we regulars all hate each other.
Analyse a song you know. Find notation or tab, or better yet tab or notate it yourself and examine the make up of chords/arpeggios. Try to see why the composer did what they did. The best musical ideas (like comedy) are basically all stolen from someone else (not in an entirely literal sense, but you get the drift I'm sure).
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by evolucian

dont be a twat

everyone learns and is motivated by different aspects of music.

twat

no offense
twat
Quote by Coagulation
dont be a twat

everyone learns and is motivated by different aspects of music.

twat

no offense
twat

lol, now that I can accept

Listening to metal always keeps me interested. It works for me because I typically only have a sprinkle of metal on a typical day of music listening and it breaks away from typical songwriting and guitar playing.

Also, beer and weed make music way more fun!
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
L
Also, beer and weed make music way more fun!

they pretty much make everything way more fun!
shred is gaudy music
Quote by AeolianWolf
i'm honestly beginning to think that, here on MT, we regulars all hate each other.

Nah dude... not hate. We love each other here... a brotherhood of hand holding.

Quote by AeolianWolf

I don't know if I'm considered a regular yet (I should be >:| ) but I don't hate any of you guys. We're all a big, lovable, very opinionated, very vocal family... It's like we're all Italian!
Quote by evolucian
lol, now that I can accept

How is that different from my comment?

Plus how was I being a dick? My intention was to kindly point out that you responded to his post in an inappropriate way. I didn't put down your opinion. I didn't say your opinion was stupid. I just kindly insisted that you be a bit kinder. Now, I was rather frank, but at least I wasn't trying to insult you or anything.

Besides, this is a stupid argument we're having. Let's just put this stupid shit behind us and have some decency when we discuss things.

Quote by AeolianWolf
Hate is a strong word. Sometimes people bother me, but I don't think any of us truly hate each other. It's kind of like a sibling-argument thing. You really love each other but you show it by bickering and fighting with each other

You're cool though, you usually say things that I can agree with and you say them in an agreeable way.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I don't know if I'm considered a regular yet (I should be >:| ) but I don't hate any of you guys. We're all a big, lovable, very opinionated, very vocal family... It's like we're all Italian!

I think of you, food and Aeolianwolf as regulars , you guys post the most out of everyone here, with the most helpful information (even if i do have different views on minor key analysis )

And of course Zhilla, Evo, Guitarmonkey etc
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by supersac
try learning a different genre that usuall
good advice.listen and learn as many genres as possible.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

that comment fits eerily well with your new avatar...
Quote by Coagulation
put the guitar down and study theory

or better yet apply what you're studying to the guitar.in otherwords study theory and play at the sametime.so you can hear the different tonalities fo chords,scales ect ect.
I've been consistently improving since January after being stuck in a three year long plateau. Here's what you do.

- Learn theory. Anyone that plays guitar should start learning theory day one if they have any intention of playing it in professionally. It takes a really long time to absorb everything and learn the neck so you might as well start now.
- Listen to music. Delve into different genres. Delve deeper into genres and artists you already know. Hopefully you'll find something that inspires you.
- Design a practice schedule. PM me and I will give you mine if you are interested.
- Perfect practice makes perfect. Do not practice with the intent of building up the metronome as fast as you can. Take your time, play the piece or exercise slow enough to play perfectly. I will elaborate; playing it perfectly means playing it slowly enough to control your fingers and keep motions deliberate and minimal. Playing it perfectly means you play it with and without distortion so you can make sure your articulation and your muting is tight. Playing it perfectly means slow enough to feel no excess tension anywhere in your body. Playing it perfectly means your bends and vibratos are intonated correctly and your licks stick to the groove like glue in a shoe. Now that you know what it means to play it perfectly, know that if you practice it perfectly, you will always improve.

That last tidbit is probably the most important piece of advice I've ever received.
Quote by Freepower
I don't hate you guys.

You can still log on, right?

that's cold.