So can anyone list off good metalcore bands that play in Drop B? And secondly, Parkway drive is in drop B/ C#, right?

And the guitar tech i brought my guitar to said if im in drop B, then i cant really tune to drop C or anything like that, because it would bend the neck a bit. is that true?
I don't do metalcore. But I've played in Drop B and then tuned up to E Standard and I never had a problem with my neck.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
I play drop C to drop B and back all the time and my neck is fine
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
i've never actually gotten any of my guitars set up my a professional tech. i used to have one guitar that id use for really low tunings that i'd switch to back and forth. i usually went from drop c, drop b to drop a and back again on a pretty regular basis and i didnt have any problems.

the only problems i could see are string tension, maybe intonation issues or fret buzz.

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.

Quote by DkassBTU
fly ass ******s wearin my hat

hahahahaha
hmm.. well i guess maybe going from drop B to C is okay then. i just know it will be buzzy probably though. its going to be nnice and tight for drop B
well ive been down to drop b with 10's before haha and i personally didnt think it was terrible. i like to have 11's at least for drop b.

Quote by DkassBTU

hahahahaha
i think i'm getting 12-54's so i should be good. he's setting up the guitar for that tuning, so yeah. i guess itll be okay to tune to drop c every now and then, right?

i tune my explorer down to half step down and stuff and that is fine.
90% of Slipknots stuff is in drop B

And yeah Parkway Drive play in drop B
Last edited by Zanon at Jun 2, 2010,
12's are fine for drop c too. theres a lot of bands that use that gauge for that tuning.

Quote by DkassBTU

hahahahaha
Parkway Drive's stuff is all in Drop B; except it looks like their new album is A# (Based on the fact that their first single is in Drop A#). And about the tech - as long as you have a decent set of strings that can handle the tuning, you shouldn't have a problem. I've only been playing Parkway Drive for the past couple weeks; and I've got a set of 10-56's on my guitar and I have no problems at all. And I've tuned it up to Drop C a few times to play some new BFMV.
My Gear:
Fender Squier VM Jazz Bass
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
Last edited by CommaBass at Jun 2, 2010,
Drop A# to be exact. it is not a good idea to use heavy strings (11 or 12 gauge) for standard or Drop D tunings. because of the tension of the strings, it would warp the neck. 11 and 12 gauge strings are best used for drop C, Drop B, and so forth. it is better to keep the strings in these tunings because the tension acts as if it was in standard tuning. You don't get the floppiness of the string like if you used 9 or 10 gauge for the low tunings. But tuning to Drop B to C should not harm you neck that much. I have 12 gauges on my LP and i keep it in drop B for the sake of the tension of the strings.
Last edited by lespaul45 at Jun 7, 2010,