Hey all,

I'm the drummer in the band. We have been practicing for about 8 months and got a 3 song demo out... recorded in my garage at decent quality.

heres the link~~~

http://myspacemusic.com/scorpioriot

be honest please, as it is the only way to improve.
Last edited by chris4355 at Jun 2, 2010,
Great stuff! The only thing I can really say here is I wish you had a bit better recording of the drums. I like the tone of the drums (as well as enjoyed your playing), but it sounds to me like you recorded the drums using just a room mic or overheads. You might not have the equimpment yet but it would be really sweet if you could get a bit better of a mic set up for the drums.

Keep up the great work!
chris,
I liked "Cotton Candy" a bit better than "Flow Street" overall. I would say your recordings are better than average for a garage recording. I have very little experience recording real drums (my recordings of real drums sound worse than yours), but I do know getting real drums to sound professional is difficult. Your drumming skills are quite good, it wouldn't hurt if the audio quality was better. I listened to both songs on headphones: I noticed most of your drums are panned fairly hard to the left (reminding me of some 60's recordings). I prefer drums to be more centered, but I realize that the cymbals/high hat may then start stepping on the vocals. The early vocals on "Flow Street" sound a bit pitchy, but then sound better later on. Otherwise the singing is pretty good on both songs. The songs are good, I like them. Rock on!
Quote by mccabe24
Great stuff! The only thing I can really say here is I wish you had a bit better recording of the drums. I like the tone of the drums (as well as enjoyed your playing), but it sounds to me like you recorded the drums using just a room mic or overheads. You might not have the equimpment yet but it would be really sweet if you could get a bit better of a mic set up for the drums.

Keep up the great work!

Quote by aaron aardvark
chris,
I liked "Cotton Candy" a bit better than "Flow Street" overall. I would say your recordings are better than average for a garage recording. I have very little experience recording real drums (my recordings of real drums sound worse than yours), but I do know getting real drums to sound professional is difficult. Your drumming skills are quite good, it wouldn't hurt if the audio quality was better. I listened to both songs on headphones: I noticed most of your drums are panned fairly hard to the left (reminding me of some 60's recordings). I prefer drums to be more centered, but I realize that the cymbals/high hat may then start stepping on the vocals. The early vocals on "Flow Street" sound a bit pitchy, but then sound better later on. Otherwise the singing is pretty good on both songs. The songs are good, I like them. Rock on!

mccabe24 & aaron aardvark

Ya, whats weird is that the drums recorded alone sounded great. Mixed in with the band they became very dry so I had to pan them. Recording drums right is tough both in playing and sound quality. I think im gonna record them in the living room next time, where I have some natural reverb. Might give them a little more life.

Thanks for the compliments
I thought Cotton Candy Lamb and Great Ape were groovy fun. Kinda like Cake/RHCP. Flow Street only gets interesting when the vocals come in but the vocals struggle. Maybe try a different key? There is something in that song...you just have not yet put it together. Great stuff and thanks for sharing.