Im looking into getting an EX style LTD or ESP but they look different nowadays then say Hetfields from '89...obviously they are older models but are they still buy-able? are they no longer made? or were they custom made for Het?

My main problem is the head stock..I dig the long "hockey stick" style like what Het has going on with his "EET FUK" Guitar, among others. It's not a big deal for me but if they can be obtained with that type of headstock I'd like to go with that as opposed to the EX's out nowadays...

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. If this is the wrong thread section for this, I apologize & would appreciate being pointed in the right direction

Thanks!
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
All of Hets Explorers where custom shop esp's and are exact replicas of gibsons with the exeption of his neck...if you want an explorer like his you might aswell just buck up for a Gibby..or you maybe an Epi
Quote by slingshotjr
All of Hets Explorers where custom shop esp's and are exact replicas of gibsons with the exeption of his neck...if you want an explorer like his you might aswell just buck up for a Gibby..or you maybe an Epi

this ^

pretty hard to find old EX's anyway, there were a couple white gibson explorers with emgs and no pickgaurd. i think they were the shred-x or something? i cant remember, can another UG''er help me out here
ESP MX-250, you know you want to. Just good luck trying to find someone that is willing to let theirs go.
Quote by mr gOiD
Im looking into getting an EX style LTD or ESP but they look different nowadays then say Hetfields from '89...obviously they are older models but are they still buy-able? are they no longer made? or were they custom made for Het?

My main problem is the head stock..I dig the long "hockey stick" style like what Het has going on with his "EET FUK" Guitar, among others. It's not a big deal for me but if they can be obtained with that type of headstock I'd like to go with that as opposed to the EX's out nowadays...

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. If this is the wrong thread section for this, I apologize & would appreciate being pointed in the right direction

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, the "EET FUK" explorer (the white one, right?) was a Gibson. Hetfield switched to ESP after his original explorer got stolen.
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ESP-EXP-Lawsuit-Explorer-James-Hetfield-Metallica-/280514036133?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item414ff081a5#ht_937wt_1137
Is that the kind you mean?
There on ebay quite often but I've only ever seen ESP ones and they are always at least over £1000.
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Last edited by sepultura alma at Jun 2, 2010,
The explorers that James used during the ...Justice-time were a couple of ESP MX-220. Three of them if my memory is right. One white that he only use in the studio, still to this day. Then there is is EET FUK and a black MX-220.
I think that all the explorers he used during the 90s where ESP MX-250. Later on he has used a couple of Gibson explorers too.
He's very first Explorer was a white 1984 Gibson Explorer.
http://www.montyjay.com/jamesguitars.html
The MX-220 is not i production any more and can just be bought second-hand. The MX-250 are not sold in the US, but i think they are still avalibe as a custom model in Japan.
Noob on most guitar-oriented stuff.

ESP LTD EX-400
Epiphone Les Paul Goth
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Peavey Bandit 112
Line 6 Spider III 15w
Digitech RP500
Last edited by thomson125 at Jun 2, 2010,