Been playing "casually" with a stratocaster my cousin gave me for the past year and a half almost, and want to get more into the instrument. I also picked up a Dunlop Original Crybaby recently for some reason, seemed like a good idea at the time.

Anyway, I want to dump the stratocaster.

And I'm about to come into like 260 dollars. Want to put that entirely into a new guitar and amp. I already have 2 cables, 1 "patch cable" and a dunlop crybaby. (Not sure what the patch cable was for, guy reccomended I buy it with the crybaby).

I've got my heart set on an Epiphone Special II Les Paul, which leaves me about 100 for an amp. I was thinking a Marshall MG15? What do you think?
Death and Destruction
Black as my Soul
Decay and Demolition
Out of Control
Quote by bogg808
If its just for practise that should be fine.

That and the occasional garage jam with either my cousin or a friend of mine who plays guitar.

The friend is using an Ibanez RG370DX and a Line 6 Spider IV 75. My cousin has some Peavey guitar/amp or something. My rig should be able to jam with theirs just fine?
Death and Destruction
Black as my Soul
Decay and Demolition
Out of Control
if your going to be competing with a drummer... u might want summin better than a MG or Spider, cause they really crap out at loud volumes. The Peavey's and Vox's have some good cheap amps.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
instead of the mg look for a peavey rage. They sound a lot better, and can probably be found for less.
Quote by julzius
if your going to be competing with a drummer... u might want summin better than a MG or Spider, cause they really crap out at loud volumes. The Peavey's and Vox's have some good cheap amps.

Oh no drummers. Have some bad experiences with drummers.
Death and Destruction
Black as my Soul
Decay and Demolition
Out of Control
I've got a Epi Special II, got it when I was 13. But the tuners WILL crap out on you (they are very poor quality) and that will be immensely frustrating, and the pickups will eventually sound like mud when you've heard them for a while. The frets might be slightly dodgy too. Apart from that, its still a solid guitar now that I've replaced the tuners and pups, and I've used it live a lot. You can always fix it up like I did later on down the track. As for the amp, a big spider would be alright for jamming as they don't need much tweaking, but if your competing with a drummer you might want something that can handle louder volumes.
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
Seems to be between the Peavey Rage 258 and the Marshall MG15

The Peavey Rage 258 sounds nice and is louder, but I like the crunchy tones on the MG15 better.

Think I'll go with the MG15, unless someone has some videos comparing them or something?
Death and Destruction
Black as my Soul
Decay and Demolition
Out of Control
Watch out for the MG, I've owned the MG100 and Now the MG30(Not much of a variety in the SA secondhand market) but anyway these amps WILL give you problems after a while. My friend bought one new, same probs.
Quote by PurpleBear102
Watch out for the MG, I've owned the MG100 and Now the MG30(Not much of a variety in the SA secondhand market) but anyway these amps WILL give you problems after a while. My friend bought one new, same probs.

Well if it will last until XMas than I should be good. Probably gonna ask for a really nice amp for XMas.
Death and Destruction
Black as my Soul
Decay and Demolition
Out of Control
so will the MG15 be loud enough to keep up with a drummer?
Death and Destruction
Black as my Soul
Decay and Demolition
Out of Control
^^ No.

^ Yes.

That or try and find a Peavey Bandit.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
actually a Crate 120 Watt came up used in my area for 130 I'm gonna pick up, and just gonna use the rest to buy a different used guitar.

Thanks for the help anyway guys.

Hey, if I don't like the overdrive tone, I can just keep the strat and use the leftover cash to get a nice fuzz pedal right?
Death and Destruction
Black as my Soul
Decay and Demolition
Out of Control
No if the overdrive channel sounds bad you need a nice over drive pedal. And Idk about Crates, the reviews i've seen on them have been mostly bad.
Quote by Ubadood
No if the overdrive channel sounds bad you need a nice over drive pedal. And Idk about Crates, the reviews i've seen on them have been mostly bad.

Well I want like more of a Hendrix style fuzz tone.

Probably gonna have to hold off the new guitar and keep the strat, oh well, its not really a bad guitar.

The neck is ****ing awesome, think I might replace the body in a year or two once I get a job with like a 70s body or something.
Death and Destruction
Black as my Soul
Decay and Demolition
Out of Control